C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

EPA system for 1961 vette Oil vapor smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 11:45 AM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

After reading this thread, I'm surprised at how may people are positively referring to the government forcing design choices into cars.

If you watch the old films from the different auto manufacturers, you'd find that they have spent lots on the R&D to get vehicles that are more safe and better performing.

Here is a film from the industry that discusses (in a light hearted way) the innovations:

Governments distort markets and force on the public features that are not necessarily desired with money they extract from your wallet by force. This is especially true in California, where a vehicle can produce far cleaner emissions, but it fails a visual test.

As was mentioned, the PCV system was an industry innovation. The original patent by Bendix was in 1949 under US 2489230.

https://www.google.com/patents/US2489230

Well before government involvement.

-- Joe
Old 08-12-2017, 11:58 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Don't know about the patent date but US military vehicles used a PCV on vehicles used for fording deep water.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Got a picture or know the grommet application so I know what to ask for at the parts store?
Measure the diameter of the hole in the block and get a grommet that is slightly bigger. I forget what I used, but it was snug with the PCV valve pressed into the middle of it. It was sitting in my toolbox from my tune-up days. Many auto parts stores sell PCV valve grommets in various sizes. You'll have to size one up.

Quick Reply: EPA system for 1961 vette Oil vapor smell