C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Brakes locked up avoiding a collision

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 03:07 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Tom - these guys are totally kidding around...don't take it seriously
Old 08-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,275 Likes on 815 Posts

Frankie mentioned downhill breaking techniques a little.
"Careful" drivers that lightly ride the brakes downhill can pre heat the drums and shoes till they are totally ineffective. Use the brakes when needed then release them till needed again. Each release allows the brake to start cooling for the next application.
Most 18 wheelers today still have drum brakes. They have to teach drivers how to work them properly. School Bus drivers have the same issue. "Careful" but un knowing drivers ride the brakes lightly down long grades and overheat the drums and shoes and making a very good brake system worthless. Then later the driver complains that the brakes squeal? Duh, you glazed them!
BTW: disc brakes have the same limitations, if you don't let them cool they become useless. The new Corvette brakes are just so over built for the application that they can take far more abuse than anything built in the past. This is great when you are racing.
Those new Vette brakes probably offer more stopping power than the brakes used on 20 ton dump trucks 30 years ago.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:35 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Just for the record, that is exactly how I use the brakes.. Moderate braking for as short as possible, allowing maximum 'recovery' time. Use of downshifting in conjunction with braking.

I doubt I glazed the shoes.. the car stopped normally on several stops after that. It was a perfect storm of 3 red lights at the bottom of 3 big hills, in rapid succession.. Probably just built up too much heat (it was also 95+ degree day here in SoCal)

A perfectly fine braking system capable of handling MOST street driving conditions
Old 08-20-2017, 05:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I've been driving with drum brakes since 1958. The only time I ever had a problem with brake fade is when I was deliberately trying to experiment and see what it felt like.

I've never driven a drum brake car past the Mississippi River but I have pulled a number of trailer east to the coast through those mountains and no problem.

The key to it (as others have said) is to know what you have and how to use it. Like many things.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Tom - these guys are totally kidding around...don't take it seriously
There is no room in my life for joking or kidding----------------------and I'm serious about that. In fact, I hope some day I'll finally find the courage to pull the trigger myself.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:32 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
There is no room in my life for joking or kidding----------------------and I'm serious about that. In fact, I hope some day I'll finally find the courage to pull the trigger myself.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:08 AM
rnixon
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Interesting discussion, but there is another consideration that hasn't been mentioned. Brakes, weather they be disc or drum, have done all they can do when they lock up and stop the wheels. The brakes do not stop the car, the brakes stop the wheels , the tires stop the car.

When the brakes have "locked" the wheels ,then it is the friction of the tire on the pavement that will determine the stopping distance. When skidding to a stop, your fate will be determined by the cleanliness of the pavement and the quality and friction of your tires, which will rapidly be declining as they go up in smoke.

Disc or drums are more than adequate to stop the wheels on a 3100lb. car. More important is to have a tire that will stop the car, before the brakes apply all their force and lock the wheels. Drum brakes got their "bad rap" because they were paired with bias tires. The coefficient of friction of a modern radial tire is sufficient to stop a 3100lb. car before the point of lock-up. My 64 with manual drum brakes stops on the proverbial dime, with enough inertia to put the passenger through the windshield, if not buckled up.

It is the Pirelli tires that stop the wheels and the car , when pressure on the brake pedal suggests it would be prudent to do so. I think of them as my bolt-on, passive, pneumatic, no tech, anti lock / anti skid system
Old 08-21-2017, 02:32 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The only complaint I have with my drum brakes is after replacing every single part of my system, I still have an occasional situation when the car will dart right or left the first time I apply the brakes. It will stop straight 25 times in a row and then pull to one side the next time I touch the brakes.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:55 AM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

My scariest memories of drum brakes in my youth were when they got wet and didn't work so well. I had some serious "pucker moments" when trying to stop on a dime after sloshing through deep water!
Old 08-21-2017, 07:07 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Wow! Must be a very busy, critical life. Yet you have time to spend on the internet? What's your line of work, pediatric cancer, or brain surgery, or maybe combating international terrorism? Thanks for sharing some of your time with us here on the CF.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by vettepoor
My scariest memories of drum brakes in my youth were when they got wet and didn't work so well. I had some serious "pucker moments" when trying to stop on a dime after sloshing through deep water!
Veteran drivers know to lightly pump drum brakes after driving through water to dry them out. Like I said you have to "work" drum brakes. Then, they are quite effective.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:13 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Veteran drivers know to lightly pump drum brakes after driving through water to dry them out. Like I said you have to "work" drum brakes. Then, they are quite effective.
"Veteran" drivers, yes, we all learned through experience, sometimes the hard way. I was referring to driving some of my dad's lead-sleds when I was 16!
Old 08-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

If you want the younger generations who grew up with radial tires and antilock disc brakes to come to appreciate older cars some standard warnings are in order.

I sold a friend of mine my 1971 SS 454 El Camino back in 1981 when he was 17, and he still has it. Fast forward to 2015 when his 22 year old son gets in it. His looks at the door and asks his dad "What's this???" "What's what?" "This," as he's pointing to the window crank handle. "That's to roll the windows up" he tells his son. "You had to roll the windows up???"

Old 08-21-2017, 05:11 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

You'll be in jail for reckless driving long before you're kill these GM brakes.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2017, 05:15 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by vettepoor
"Veteran" drivers, yes, we all learned through experience, sometimes the hard way. I was referring to driving some of my dad's lead-sleds when I was 16!
I must be a tad older - back in Driver's Ed (when they still offered it in high school) we were told all about pumping the brakes after driving through water.

Talk about civil law suits ! It was usually 3 kids, just learning to drive, with two in the back seat, one at the wheel and the instructor (who reeked a bit of alcohol) riding shotgun.

One mistake by some goofy kid (and we had 'em aplenty) and its the hurt locker for everybody...

Ah...the good 'ole days

I should also say in......in hmmm 50 years of driving I've had one, and only one, catastrophic master cylinder failure in an old, maintained-like-crap, Plymouth Belvedere.. Plenty of spongy and scary brakes .. but only one complete loss of braking..

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 08-21-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
You'll be in jail for reckless driving long before you're kill these GM brakes.
OK, I'll bite - what's the wire mesh at the backing plate ?
Extra cooling ?
Old 08-21-2017, 06:13 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

OK, I'll bite - what's the wire mesh at the backing plate ?
Extra cooling ?
Good guess.

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes locked up avoiding a collision

Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by KC John
The only complaint I have with my drum brakes is after replacing every single part of my system, I still have an occasional situation when the car will dart right or left the first time I apply the brakes. It will stop straight 25 times in a row and then pull to one side the next time I touch the brakes.
Common issue with drum brakes but disks with a seized calipers(s) will do the same. Drum brakes need both sides to have identical action. That means they must be properly adjusted, both drums need to have been machined and shoes replaced or cleaned up at the same time. A wonky wheel cylinder will cause it too, so I usually replace them when I do a full brake job, they are cheap enough and easy enough to do.

Among the things that disks do better than drums, less fade, no adjustments, less prone to lock or to perform poorly when wet, is even operation. Still, drums are fine if used and maintained properly.

Compare the disk/drum argument to one about incandescent bulbs vs. LED's. Both make useful light. The incandescent uses more energy, doesn't last as long, and will burn your hand if touched when hot. Its old tech but it works well when you understand it. LEDs use less energy, will not burn your hand, last longer, and can be made to change colors and do other tricks, synonymous with ABS...etc.

Again, this argument comes down to personal preference. Some want old cars that have modern upgrades and others (including myself) want old cars to be old, stem to stern, deficiencies and all.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 08-22-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:10 AM
appaloosa 0012
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Safety first, what ever it takes!
Old 08-22-2017, 10:24 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,273 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by dplotkin
Common issue with drum brakes but disks with a seized calipers(s) will do the same. Drum brakes need both sides to have identical action. That means they must be properly adjusted, both drums need to have been machined and shoes replaced or cleaned up at the same time. A wonky wheel cylinder will cause it too, so I usually replace them when I do a full brake job, they are cheap enough and easy enough to do.

Among the things that disks do better than drums, less fade, no adjustments, less prone to lock or to perform poorly when wet, is even operation. Still, drums are fine if used and maintained properly.

Compare the disk/drum argument to one about incandescent bulbs vs. LED's. Both make useful light. The incandescent uses more energy, doesn't last as long, and will burn your hand if touched when hot. Its old tech but it works well when you understand it. LEDs use less energy, will not burn your hand, last longer, and can be made to change colors and do other tricks, synonymous with ABS...etc.

Again, this argument comes down to personal preference. Some want old cars that have modern upgrades and others (including myself) want old cars to be old, stem to stern, deficiencies and all.

Dan
Excellent evaluation, and I'm with you. Give me the deficiencies of archaic equipment. They remind me of when I was a young buck. It's a big part of the joy of driving these relics of a different time (for me).

Quick Reply: [C1] Brakes locked up avoiding a collision