C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 11:37 AM
darrahc
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power Steering Leak

I have a terrible leak in my power steering that I can't seem to track down or fix. The power steering pump will be almost dry after about 100 miles. It looks like it's coming from the pressure hose connected to the pump but I have a new hose and new pump and have reinstalled the hose 3 times. I'm fairly confident the threads are not stripped.

I do see some small leaking from there but am stumped with how to fix it. I can't tell if I'm also getting some leaking at the PCV and or the power steering cylinder connections. After I drive it power steering fluid is all over the place.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:45 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by darrahc
I have a terrible leak in my power steering that I can't seem to track down or fix. The power steering pump will be almost dry after about 100 miles. It looks like it's coming from the pressure hose connected to the pump but I have a new hose and new pump and have reinstalled the hose 3 times. I'm fairly confident the threads are not stripped.

I do see some small leaking from there but am stumped with how to fix it. I can't tell if I'm also getting some leaking at the PCV and or the power steering cylinder connections. After I drive it power steering fluid is all over the place.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Wipe all the power steering components dry. Spray down with brake cleaner or some other cleaner to get the pump, control valve and piston and hoses as clean and dry as possible. Then lightly dust all of the components with baby power. Start the car up and slowly turn the steering wheel from left to right several times. If she's leaking as badly as you state, you will immediately see where the leak(s) are coming from
Old 08-26-2017, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I prefer to use the UV tracer dye and put it in the fluid and then using the appropriate light I can see where the fluid is coming out due to it somewhat glows.

http://tracerline.com/all-products/f...-and-dyed-oil/

I do not know if an Oreillys or NAPA or some other auto parts store has this tool for loan and you only pay for the small amount of UV dye or not.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Leak

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leak