C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Front Parking Light / Turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:16 AM
Wfvtr17
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 63 Front Parking Light / Turn signal

I just replaced the bulb on my 63 front driver side (left) parking light. When activating the turn signal, left turn signal light blinks on dash but not at the parking / turn signal light.

When parking lights are turned on and left turn signal is activated, front left side will then blink, but only when parking lights on turned on.

All rear lights work correctly, brakes lights, and turn signals when activated.

Front right (passenger side) turn signal works correctly.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Wfvtr17; 09-27-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:36 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

What bulb did you use and what flasher are you running ?
And did everything work properly before the old bulb went out ?
First thing I would do is switch bulbs left to right and retry.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-27-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:06 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Is your left front socket corroded? Do you have the correct bulb and it's oriented correctly in the socket? My 60 had symptoms of crossover between the two circuits and the internal contacts were rotated 90 degrees so the bulb contacts were touching both socket contacts at the same time. I was able to rotate the inner wafer board the contacts in the socket are mounted in back to the correct orientation and all is well.
To troubleshoot, I'd connect a jumper to a good ground, like the bumper, and touch the other end to the brass case of the bulb and see if it then works properly. If it does, you have a ground problem between the bulb base and the socket metal "tube" that holds the base of the bulb and grounds it. First, I'd go back over everything I touched when I changed the bulb, if it worked before.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Wfvtr17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Is your left front socket corroded? Do you have the correct bulb and it's oriented correctly in the socket? My 60 had symptoms of crossover between the two circuits and the internal contacts were rotated 90 degrees so the bulb contacts were touching both socket contacts at the same time. I was able to rotate the inner wafer board the contacts in the socket are mounted in back to the correct orientation and all is well.
To troubleshoot, I'd connect a jumper to a good ground, like the bumper, and touch the other end to the brass case of the bulb and see if it then works properly. If it does, you have a ground problem between the bulb base and the socket metal "tube" that holds the base of the bulb and grounds it. First, I'd go back over everything I touched when I changed the bulb, if it worked before.

The left front bulb was burned out and I had to extract it as it would not turn and pull out. The spring mechanism which allows for a new bulb being inserted would not function, so I freed the spring up by spraying a lubricant (lightly to reach the spring) and the mechanism to insert and twist the bulb then worked. I will check the bulb contacts. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2017, 02:13 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Sometimes new bulbs fail to mate with the socket contacts fully. You can daub some hot solder on the bulb contacts then file them down some for a tight fit.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Wfvtr17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
What bulb did you use and what flasher are you running ?
And did everything work properly before the old bulb went out ?
First thing I would do is switch bulbs left to right and retry.

I tried to insert a photo of fuse box area. Thank you again!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
IMG_1528.pdf (103.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 09-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Wfvtr17
Intermediate

I used a Sylvania 12V bulb # 7528 and also have the bulb kit which has a Bulb # of 1034. Not sure if everything worked perfectly before I replaced the bulb, as the bulb was burned out when I received the car. I used your suggestion to remove the bulb, as the spring mechanism did not allow me to push, twist and remove the bulb. Sprayed a little lubrication, caused the spring to activate and new bulb installed from what I believe correctly.
The Flasher is a Wagner 552 12 V.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Wfvtr17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Sometimes new bulbs fail to mate with the socket contacts fully. You can daub some hot solder on the bulb contacts then file them down some for a tight fit.

I will try this as well as trying another bulb. again front left turn signal bulb blinks when running lights are on (pulling out light switch at dashboard to activate ) but when running lights are not activated front left bulb does not blink, but dashboard blinks for left side. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:39 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Does the left front parking lot work properly when you don't turn on the turn signal? Maybe it's not wired correctly if it's never worked. From memory I think the light blue wire goes to the left front turn signal contact, and the violet wire to the park light.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Wfvtr17
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Does the left front parking lot work properly when you don't turn on the turn signal? Maybe it's not wired correctly if it's never worked. From memory I think the light blue wire goes to the left front turn signal contact, and the violet wire to the park light.

65Gvert

The front parking yellow lights both left and right do not turn on when pulling out the light switch on dashboard (with headlights on & off), the rear lights both sides do turn on.

The left turning light does blink when running lights are turned even though neither side light up when not activating a turn signal.

The right side also blinks when activated for for signal turn. Both rear lights work correctly when activating a left or right turn signal.

When turning on the headlights, both headlights low & high beam both work, the left turn signal does not blink when headlights turned on, the right turning light does blink correctly.

Thank you for interest and suggestions, still working through this.

Bill
Old 09-28-2017, 01:33 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wfvtr17
65Gvert

The front parking yellow lights both left and right do not turn on when pulling out the light switch on dashboard (with headlights on & off), the rear lights both sides do turn on.

The left turning light does blink when running lights are turned even though neither side light up when not activating a turn signal.

The right side also blinks when activated for for signal turn. Both rear lights work correctly when activating a left or right turn signal.

When turning on the headlights, both headlights low & high beam both work, the left turn signal does not blink when headlights turned on, the right turning light does blink correctly.

Thank you for interest and suggestions, still working through this.

Bill
The front parking lights should ONLY come on in the first position (park) and should go OFF when headlight switch is either off or full on. Park lights should not light up in headlight ON position.

The symptom is different from your first post if I'm reading it correctly. Describe exactly what is happening now, with headlights OFF and with park lights ON and also with headlights ON (three different switch positions). When you describe, be sure when you say "park lights" you're talking about the center position because that's the only time they should work.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:42 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Let's simplify this:
Please answer these by number, we'll assume for now the right side is ok and the rear is ok:

1. Key on, headlights off: Does left front turn signal work?
2. Key on, park lights on (first position): Does left front signal work?
3. Key on, headlights on: Does left front turn signal work?

The tail lights should come on in both headlight positions, so don't worry about those for now.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Front Parking Light / Turn signal

Quick Reply: 63 Front Parking Light / Turn signal