C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 02:28 AM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Battery replacement

It's funny that I forgot how much of a pain it is to replace the battery on my '63. At 65 years old, if my new battery lasts as long as this last one, I figure I might only have 1 more battery replacement in me before I have to pay someone to have it done. It was a lot easier to replace my Battery last time I did it 9 years ago.
This time I had an oil leak from my valve covers that sprayed a little oil on the battery. Taking that thing out was like trying to hold on to a greased pig. Knowing what a pain it is, I am afraid to let anyone else do it that hasn't tried it before. Not to mention I had to cut the handle off the case of the battery to get the hold down frame to fit.
Do you guys trust the average shop to replace your battery on your C2?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:58 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

On my '67 with A/C, Sears once refused to do it. The same store had installed the battery seven years or so previously, but this time, they just couldn't wrap their heads around the idea of the battery coming out through the wheel well access panel.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by KC John
Do you guys trust the average shop to replace your battery on your C2?
Not just no, but hell no.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:56 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I recently replaced mine after 9 years, like you did. There is no way I'd trust anyone else to do it, unless it was another old codger like me w/experience w/these Vettes. Some day, when my back gives out, and I can no longer do it, I'll have to find another codger, but who is maybe a little younger, w/a stronger back. No way Jose that I'll ever let an "average shop" tackle it.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:12 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I had this job this week too. Factory air '64 coupe. The replacement battery had a plastic strap to carry it. When the battery was put in, the extra plastic for the carrier would not allow the panel to position correctly, so I had to remove to again to trim it off. Do it yourself for as long as you can.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

I don’t trust Jiffy lube to change the oil in my Honda so no, I wouldn’t trust anyone to change the battery on my Vette. Try to find another member of this forum to come help!

Ed
Old 10-27-2017, 10:02 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Not just no, but hell no.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:05 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
Me Too
Old 10-28-2017, 07:35 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I had my battery replaced by someone else but it was at a shop that only works on chrome bumper Corvettes.

Steve
Old 10-28-2017, 07:45 AM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by KC John
Taking that thing out was like trying to hold on to a greased pig.
Maybe one of these would help:
Attached Images  

Last edited by CrossedUp; 10-28-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:42 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Getting the old battery out is a pain but getting one in without a carry strap seems worse. Last one I put in had no strap so I put it into four plastic grocery bags and held on to their handles to lower the battery. Worked great. Cut/tear the bags and easily pull them out from under and around the battery. Done. Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by dkleather:
KC John (10-28-2017), LouieM (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 10:04 AM
VetteZr
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I have learned one thing about repair shops, they are there to make money & they do not respect your car like you do, sadly I got that rude awakening reinforced when I brought my 2015 in for factory service, they couldn't even put the car back to the way that the factory did, I went to a different dealer to fix what the first dealer left undone & they didn't do much better, so in response to your question, NO, I will never allow anyone to touch my C2 or my C3. Sadly as long as my 2015 is under warranty, I have no choice, one other thing I am 70 years old and built my own fully equipped repair shop just to maintain my cars myself, it was cheaper in the long run.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:14 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

It seems a simple matter to me to take the surge tank loose from the fender and tie it out of the way. Remove the battery cables and grab a battery post with a pair of channel locks and hoist away. Reverse to install the battery and you're done.

Of course, I don't need the repo batteries that have vented caps and spill acid and I don't have AC.
The following users liked this post:
KC John (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 11:02 AM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Plastic grocery bags worked well for me, too.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
It seems a simple matter to me to take the surge tank loose from the fender and tie it out of the way. Remove the battery cables and grab a battery post with a pair of channel locks and hoist away. Reverse to install the battery and you're done.

Of course, I don't need the repo batteries that have vented caps and spill acid and I don't have AC.
Mike:

The reproduction batteries have been gel cell for the past 10 years or so. They are sealed and cannot leak. They also fit as original and (if treated good) can last 7-10 years.

On current replacement batteries that contain free liquid acid, you can tape up the vent cap breathing hole(s) (one for each side of three cells) and they also will not leak when tilted.

Actually factory AC cars probably have the easiest job with battery replacement and no spills. Remove the front left wheel and access cover and just pull it out. Can also be done with wheel on, but front suspension needs to hang to provide adequate clearance and battery will need to be tilted straight down when removing to clear tie rods.

FWIW.

Larry
Old 10-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Just be aware that AGM batteries require a charger specifically rated for use with these batteries.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:26 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by CrossedUp
I didn't even know that tool existed, but I don't think it would have helped because there is so little room to lift straight up.

Originally Posted by dkleather
Getting the old battery out is a pain but getting one in without a carry strap seems worse. Last one I put in had no strap so I put it into four plastic grocery bags and held on to their handles to lower the battery. Worked great. Cut/tear the bags and easily pull them out from under and around the battery. Done. Dave
Believe it or not putting the new battery in was easy because of the lack of oil on the battery and also gravity helped. I'll have to remember the plastic grocery bags the next time I have to do this job.

This is what I did, but I didn't think of using channel locks to get a better grip. I hope I also remember this trick when it comes time to do it again.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery replacement

Old 10-28-2017, 12:29 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossedUp
take the surge tank loose from the fender and tie it out of the way. Remove the battery cables and grab a battery post with a pair of channel locks and hoist away.
Yup. Remove the surge tank straps, move the tank out of the way, and use a battery lift strap. One hand lifting the strap, and the other guiding and tilting the battery. It's not that difficult as long as your back holds out. Mine is good for about 10 minutes of bending and lifting - which is just about enough for each stage of this job!
Old 10-28-2017, 02:33 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

You can also just put one end of the strap on one post of the battery and hoist away.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:04 PM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Mike:

The reproduction batteries have been gel cell for the past 10 years or so. They are sealed and cannot leak. They also fit as original and (if treated good) can last 7-10 years.

On current replacement batteries that contain free liquid acid, you can tape up the vent cap breathing hole(s) (one for each side of three cells) and they also will not leak when tilted.

Actually factory AC cars probably have the easiest job with battery replacement and no spills. Remove the front left wheel and access cover and just pull it out. Can also be done with wheel on, but front suspension needs to hang to provide adequate clearance and battery will need to be tilted straight down when removing to clear tie rods.

FWIW.

Larry
The part about reproduction batteries not leaking is untrue. I had two 55 Delco *maintainence- free batteries ordered thru Paragon leak before they were ever installed on a car. Supplier was Antique Auto Battery in Ohio,

Last edited by scopeli; 10-28-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement