C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Water Pump Woes (65-365hp)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 06:24 PM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Water Pump Woes (65-365hp)

Here is my original thread...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-65-365hp.html

I had the original water pump rebuilt locally because I wanted the correct 1/2" bypass. I took the car for a ride and I had a terrible vibration and after 2 miles, the water pump failed and coolant was leaking out. You can move the fan a lot so it must have took out the bearings.

I've had a vibration in the motor at higher RPM's that must be related to the pump, pulley or fan. When I replaced the pump I replaced the fan clutch as well. The pulley showed a wobble when it spun like it wasn't sitting correctly on the water pump shaft. Like I said after the rebuild, the vibration was pretty bad. I ordered a new pulley that is almost $300.00 and I think I'll replace the fan as well.

I plan on also putting on a replacement water pump and using a bushing for the bypass elbow and then sending the correct one to Bill Mock for another rebuild (he did not do it the first time).

I just wanted to share my pain and frustration. Thanks for reading!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 PM
89vette
Melting Slicks

I talked to Bill Mock about rebuilding my pump and come to find out that he used to own my car over 30 years ago! He remembered it well and has a picture of it on his wall that he is going to scan for me. Small world!
Old 11-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 89vette

I had the original water pump rebuilt locally because I wanted the correct 1/2" bypass. I took the car for a ride and I had a terrible vibration and after 2 miles, the water pump failed and coolant was leaking out. You can move the fan a lot so it must have took out the bearings.

I've had a vibration in the motor at higher RPM's that must be related to the pump, pulley or fan. When I replaced the pump I replaced the fan clutch as well. The pulley showed a wobble when it spun like it wasn't sitting correctly on the water pump shaft. Like I said after the rebuild, the vibration was pretty bad. I ordered a new pulley that is almost $300.00 and I think I'll replace the fan as well.

I plan on also putting on a replacement water pump and using a bushing for the bypass elbow and then sending the correct one to Bill Mock for another rebuild (he did not do it the first time).

I messed up a couple of water pumps. I found that the bushing that is included to center the fan clutch on the water pump is a bit too short to mate up with the water pump shaft, so it wasn't working as intended. The fix was to drop a couple of washers in behind the bushing to bring the bushing flush with the edge of the fan clutch so that it mates with the shaft on the water pump.

Gerry
Old 11-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 320 Posts

Are you sure the pulley is the problem and not the pump mounting flange? I have seen some rebuilds that bend them in the repair process. The good rebuilds will either replace or turn the mounting surface on a lathe to insure straightness. Check it out, you might save yourself $300

Just saw your other post, bummer on the pump but, your pulley may still be fine.

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 11-10-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Missed your other post
Old 11-10-2017, 02:03 PM
mgr40021
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found hairline cracks in my water pump pulley as well. Most water pump flanges are not perfect and neither is the pulley. I mounted the new pulley to the pump in all four locations checked it with a dial indicator and mounted it in the position with the least amount of runout. The price for the right pulley is high but like you I wanted the correct part.

Last edited by mgr40021; 11-10-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 PM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Yes I will check the alignment of the old pulley and new pulley before assembly. I ordered a rebuilt pump from Chicago Corvette that is supposedly an unsleeved correct 1/2" NPT undated 326 pump. We will see when I get it.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 293 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Yes I will check the alignment of the old pulley and new pulley before assembly. I ordered a rebuilt pump from Chicago Corvette that is supposedly an unsleeved correct 1/2" NPT undated 326 pump. We will see when I get it.
Oh no
hope they had it IN STOCK......

Don
Old 11-10-2017, 03:04 PM
89vette
Melting Slicks

Supposed to ship today so we will see.

Get notified of new replies

To Water Pump Woes (65-365hp)

Quick Reply: Water Pump Woes (65-365hp)