C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

hydraulically locked 427

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:51 AM
stevelang
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hydraulically locked 427

i bled the brakes in my 67 coupe and tried starting the car to check the pedal before i put the tires back on. i had the back of the car quite a bit higher than the front. when i tried to start it i heard a clunk in the engine. i tried again and the starter would not spin the motor. i thought maybe the battery had run down as the car had sat for a while so i put the charger on and gave up for the night. while drifting off it occurred to me that maybe fuel had locked the motor. it's been having carb issues and i thought maybe the needle/seat was stuck open allowing gas to flow through the carb into the manifold plenum and then into cylinders. this morning i smelled gas when i went in the garage and there was a very large puddle under the car. and fuel was dripping. i put the tires back on and set the car back on the floor. the dripping has stopped and i am pondering my next move. pull the plugs and spin the motor, pushing out the liquid? disconnect the ignition coil first? will gas spray all over?
Old 11-27-2017, 02:30 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelang
i bled the brakes in my 67 coupe and tried starting the car to check the pedal before i put the tires back on. i had the back of the car quite a bit higher than the front. when i tried to start it i heard a clunk in the engine. i tried again and the starter would not spin the motor. i thought maybe the battery had run down as the car had sat for a while so i put the charger on and gave up for the night. while drifting off it occurred to me that maybe fuel had locked the motor. it's been having carb issues and i thought maybe the needle/seat was stuck open allowing gas to flow through the carb into the manifold plenum and then into cylinders. this morning i smelled gas when i went in the garage and there was a very large puddle under the car. and fuel was dripping. i put the tires back on and set the car back on the floor. the dripping has stopped and i am pondering my next move. pull the plugs and spin the motor, pushing out the liquid? disconnect the ignition coil first? will gas spray all over?
Yes, like a garden hose!

I would first disconnect the battery. Then place a large sheet of cardboard (or other absorbent material) under the car. Then I would pull all of the plugs. Hand crank the motor over and after a few revolutions let it sit for a few hours (preferably over night) before proceeding. I would change the oil and depending on how much fuel is in the oil, change the filter as well.

Once you're satisfied there is no liquid fuel left in the cylinders and depending on the condition of the plugs either reinstall them or put new plugs in. If you're satisfied the internal fuel leak is corrected and ready to try starting it, I would push it out of the garage (clear of the house) and have someone standing by with an extinguisher when you do it.

If you do plan to turn it over with the starter to push the fuel out of the cylinders, by all means push it out of the garage and have someone standing by ready to hit it with an extinguisher. Also you'll want to protect any painted surfaces as it will definitely shoot fuel all over the fenders.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 11-27-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 11-27-2017, 02:37 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

....while drifting off it occurred to me that maybe fuel had locked the motor. it's been having carb issues and i thought maybe the needle/seat was stuck open allowing gas to flow through the carb into the manifold plenum and then into cylinders.
I think you nailed it.

I'd disconnect the battery until you get done playing with drying the cylinders.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:49 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

My opinion:

Only turn it by hand until you are sure all the fuel is out of the cylinders.
Then change the oil and filter.
Keep in mind that the gas has "washed" the lube away.

You're lucky it didn't start.. Hopefully you didn't bend anything...
Old 11-27-2017, 02:57 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SDVette
My opinion:

You're lucky it didn't start.. Hopefully you didn't bend anything...

Absolutely right and the best move for you now. You have washed down at least the front cylinder walls and you do not want to let it run until you reestablish that film of oil on the jug walls, nor do you want to pump diluted oil through the bearings.

As to the plugs, I know I'll raise a few objections here but I'm steadfast in my belief based on experience that more often than not a plug that was soaked in gas will never come back. I don't know why, I just know. Maybe others have had different results. For what they cost put in a fresh set of properly gapped plugs after you have dried it out and dropped the oil and filter. You don't want to be cranking and cranking with fouled plugs, just change them now.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 11-27-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:03 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I'd tend agree on the plugs but sometimes, you get lucky.

Last edited by MikeM; 11-27-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:48 PM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Everyone seems convinced gas through the carb is the culprit. Suppose it's something else leaking like a fuel line to pump connection, in which case none of those suggestions and warnings are necessary. Check the oil for fuel dilution at the dipstick before jumping to conclusions. First question: where was the fuel leaking?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:49 PM
jbmcrae
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just to add a bit, this exact thing happened to me and I pulled the plugs, syphoned the gas out with a small tube from each cylinder without turning the engine over then turned it by hand and repeated this. Next day I spun it over by starter and changed oil and filter. The stink in the garage kept me from trying to start it before this. Scared the crap out of me.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:53 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

If that was the problem, check for a head gasket leak when you do get it running.

Doug
Old 11-27-2017, 04:04 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Yes, it happened to me as well on my 70 Vette (350/350 with Q-Jet carb).......I even thought I even heard a "tinkling" sound, while doing my other work on the car (again, with just the rear raised up), but did not pay any attention. When I dropped the rear, and tried starting the engine, it rotated just a tad, and "locked".

I pulled the plugs, and fuel ran out of several. Disconnect the ignition, before turning the engine over, because fuel will spray out the cylinders! Drain and replace the oil, and add a squirt of oil in each spark plug hole, before turning over again, and then replace plugs & wires.

I was lucky and saw no permanent damage..

As far as gas soaked plugs not firing properly again, have never seen that, if they are properly dried before putting them back in.

Plasticman
Old 11-27-2017, 04:32 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

[QUOTE=SDVette;1596055179]My opinion:

You're lucky it didn't start.. Hopefully you didn't bend anything...[/QUOTE]

YES, I bent a rod in my 1958 FI car TWICE until I found out the car had no syphon protection in the system. I think they added it in late 1958 or 1959.

Be very careful and pull the plugs and turn it over. when you are ready to start it do not rev it much and listen to your engine for any noise.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:37 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

You got great advice in every post. Go for it, get it dried out and new oil in it, and pray you didn't bend or break anything. You just may have dodged a bullet.....good move taking it slow and deliberate as you have done.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:50 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

Push the car as far away from the gasoline/fumes as you can BEFORE you unhook the battery...one spark and kablooooooowy!
The following users liked this post:
Roger Walling (11-29-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 06:45 PM
stevelang
Advanced

thanks to everyone for all the advice.

i pulled the plugs from 6 cylinders as i cannot get to the RF 2 as the car is double air...that is AC and A.I.R. i was able to get a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt and turn the engine just a tiny bit. i drained four and a half gallons of fuel and oil from the crank case so far and it was still dribbling fuel. i put the drain plug back in for the night and i will pull it again tomorrow and see what comes out. i really cannot spin the motor with a socket as there just isn't any room. tomorrow i will pull the PG torque convertor cover and spin the motor with a flywheel turning tool.

i will let you all know what transpires.

steve
Old 11-27-2017, 07:05 PM
street62
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have seen it brake the starter motor nose when it hydraulics . I would hope that the noise you herd was nothing.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:02 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

thanks to everyone for all the advice.

i pulled the plugs from 6 cylinders as i cannot get to the RF 2 as the car is double air...that is AC and A.I.R. i was able to get a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt and turn the engine just a tiny bit. i drained four and a half gallons of fuel and oil from the crank case so far and it was still dribbling fuel. i put the drain plug back in for the night and i will pull it again tomorrow and see what comes out. i really cannot spin the motor with a socket as there just isn't any room. tomorrow i will pull the PG torque convertor cover and spin the motor with a flywheel turning tool.

i will let you all know what transpires.

steve
You're going to have one clean engine.
Sounds as though you were draining the tank through the pump into the carb. That's somfin. You are lucky and we should all learn from this. So what did we learn?

Dan
Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 PM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

common problem with a full fuel tank

Get notified of new replies

To hydraulically locked 427

Old 11-28-2017, 06:41 PM
stevelang
Advanced

i pulled the oil pan drain plug again and only about an ounce of fluid came out. i ran a clear tube into each of the 4 open spark plug holes and dribbled and blew a little oil in each cylinder. i added a gallon of oil to the crankcase.

i pulled off the torque converter cover and turned the engine over with a flywheel turning tool. 2 cylinders gushed out a quart or so of fuel. the task got harder trying to push past the compression stroke on the 2 cylinders that still had plugs (and fuel ) in them. i was successful getting past that point and turned the motor another 2 full revolutions with minimal resistance and no more gushing fuel. i let the garage dry out and air out and i will hit it again tomorrow, weather permitting. i am using a carriage jack, wood blocking and a cold concrete floor. should be about 40 degrees out tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Default 2 Remaining Spark Plugs

You might be able to get to those 2 front plugs through the right front wheel well with a long extension and a spark plug socket on a universal joint. That's how we used to get to the 2 right side front plugs on Pontiac V-8's with A/C. You might have been able to crank it with the flywheel turning tool, but I would be leery of cranking it with the starter without pulling those plugs and letting those 2 cylinders dry out.

RON

Last edited by rongold; 11-28-2017 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stevelang (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 07:00 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

the task got harder trying to push past the compression stroke on the 2 cylinders that still had plugs (and fuel ) in them. i was successful getting past that point and turned the motor another 2 full revolutions with minimal resistance and no more gushing fuel
So, what do you intend to do about the two cylinders which (likely) still have fuel in them?

Quick Reply: hydraulically locked 427