C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ok, so you think NCRS judging is difficult......

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 11:30 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Looks like about 90/10 all over again.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:32 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,269 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
I enjoy my car because the black paint is like a mirror and deep as Crater Lake.

I enjoy my car because the interior is black leather and all the details are flawless, not sloppy.

I enjoy my car because it feels, sounds and smells just like I remember these cars did 50 years ago.

I enjoy my car because almost all the mods I have made are subtle and invisible to most except the most **** OCD examiner.

I enjoy my car because I upgraded certain aspects in order to make it more fun to drive.

I enjoy my car because I built it to be rattle and leak free.

I enjoy my car because It handles a helluva lot better than it did when it rolled off the assembly line.

Probably the reason I like my car best is because it still has 327 (331 actually) cubic inches and looks original (except for the headers), but it can dust off any stock C4 (including ZR1), C5 (including Z06) and most stock C6s with LS3 engine. Its top speed is well over 150 (although I never dared go above 155), and gets about 23 MPG at a 75-80 MPH (I live in NJ ) cruise.
Outstanding All Black!
You got an A+ on today's assignment, and now may sit at the very head of the class! You started out on very shaky ground in this class, but by applying yourself you have demonstrated superior talent! Now, get your car entered in the next NCRS Concours judging near you. You will surely win a beautiful Black/ Gold ribbon with your very worthy 65!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:32 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Outstanding All Black!
You got an A+ on today's assignment, and now may sit at the very head of the class! You started out on very shaky ground in this class, but by applying yourself you have demonstrated superior talent! Now, get your car entered in the next NCRS Concours judging near you. You will surely win a beautiful Black/ Gold ribbon with your very worthy 65!
Thanks Don. That's a possibility, although I'm not about to re-join the NCRS in the near term.

Maybe you can exert some pressure to institute a special membership category for $10.00 dues since we modified guys are perceived to be on a "lower level" than the unrestored guys, and have nothing of "historic" value to contribute. Ten bucks to gain access to events and the TDB without those rubbish Restorer and Driveline rags. Driveline mainly for peddlers peddling junk and services within a dying breed. Restorer featuring such gems as "Dynamic Duo", "Fraternal Triplets", "My Mother the Car" and lets not forget "How To Make Your Tired Bolt Heads Come to Life".

* All due respect to my friend Vinnie P, who makes the most out of limited copy.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-02-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:05 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

A few months back I attended an NCRS Regional judging of a 1965 Nassau Blue/Black 396 Coupe. Beautifully done car, alla' the correct and date coded bits including the OEM wheelcovers on those OEM black painted steel wheels rollin' on those correct 7:75x15 Firestone OEM non-DOT whitewalls. Wonderful proportions on that car. Except for that correct wheel setup ... Did they really make tires that skinny back then ?

Ray
Old 12-02-2017, 01:23 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Thanks Don. That's a possibility, although I'm not about to re-join the NCRS in the near term.

Maybe you can exert some pressure to institute a special membership category for $10.00 dues since we modified guys are perceived to be on a "lower level" than the unrestored guys, and have nothing of "historic" value to contribute. Ten bucks to gain access to events and the TDB without those rubbish Restorer and Driveline rags. Driveline mainly for peddlers peddling junk and services within a dying breed. Restorer featuring such gems as "Dynamic Duo", "Fraternal Triplets", "My Mother the Car" and lets not forget "How To Make Your Tired Bolt Heads Come to Life".

* All due respect to my friend Vinnie P, who makes the most out of limited copy.
We clearly need sub-forums for all the different flavors of C1s and C2s since some other's choices are so offensive to others.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:28 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

I can't believe you let your membership lapse again! Come on back...we need characters like you to maintain minimal sanity.
You know how much pressure a flea could exert on anything, that's how much pull I got. But, I will suggest to the big guys a stripped down membership with no mags, and full access to events, including tech classes. No points earned. Might fly.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:37 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I enjoy my 1962 just the way it is . . . I drive it as often as I can, and although it's nice, it's definitely a driver and not a show car. It has a few tiny door dings, a few interior issues that don't really show, etc. - mostly things I can see but the casual observer doesn't. But, everything is there, everything is correct, and everything works. It runs and drives great (300hp/4-speed). I haven't had it NCRS judged yet as there hasn't been a venue close enough - but someday I probably will, just to see what they tell me . . . and then I'll fix the things it makes sense to fix, and leave the rest alone. As for judging, try a Porsche club national meet sometime - it will make you feel like the NCRS says "anything goes."

The following 2 users liked this post by fyreline:
65tripleblack (12-02-2017), ptjsk (12-03-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 01:43 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Just about as stunning as you would ever hope to see!
Old 12-02-2017, 01:49 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Oh no my Hemi/Vette would totally fall off those lists. I guess I'll just have to drive it, listen to that big block and smile.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:09 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

your car would look phenomenal with a Black/Gold NCRS Concours ribbon on it...
Yours would be the first Chrysler powered corvette ever to win an NCRS ribbon!
That would be earth-shattering.
The following users liked this post:
mikelj (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 02:25 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I RACE my car. SO, if someone says that my car is "not NCRS correct", just meet me on track.
It's nice, and all too rare, to see a '63 out on a track.

I've often commented, what was the point of Chevrolet (the cheapest division of General Motors) going to all the trouble and expense(!) of putting an IRS under the Corvette if the intent of the car isn't to be driven like a sports car.
jerry gollnick (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Interesting how some folks think they have to tell others what they should and shouldn't do with their Corvettes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Critter1:
Easy Rhino (12-02-2017), jerry gollnick (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

I have spent the last 35+ years explaining why I enjoy NCRS,(joined 1983) ISCA,(Joined 1985) NCCC (through Corvette Club since 1984)

Basically it comes down to how you enjoy the car and what motivates you during what time in your life.

I started in 1980 participating in the Street Machine Nationals, I had no chance of winning anything at that time, but I envied those that did and aspired to get one of those shiny plastic trophy's. By 1986 I was full into the ISCA show car circuit and placed 2nd Nationally in 86 and 87 in ranking. In the 90's Life took over, and I just drove my Corvette(s)(NCCC) and Enjoyed the scenery.

By the end of that decade, I was back enjoying the older and newer cars again and needed a new challenge, thus taking a car to Top Flight. (NCRS) It was and still is one of the most challenging things I ever did but also one of my most satisfying achievements.

Today, I just drive and enjoy them again... This journey has led me to some of the most ****, self absorbed people I have ever met, but also many of the best people I have ever met... It takes all types, and the Corvette lifestyle is what you make of it. Do what is important to you and appreciate those that may not think the same as you.

Last edited by Bajaholic; 12-02-2017 at 03:03 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Bajaholic:
65tripleblack (12-02-2017), leif.anderson93 (12-02-2017), provette67 (12-02-2017), ptjsk (12-03-2017), warrenmj (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 03:16 PM
mikelj
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,391 Likes on 683 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

I certainly have no problem with what anyone wants to do with their cars, or what cars they have. That is all personal choice and your right. But, I for one enjoy driving the old cars, restoring them as best I can, and showing and having them judged. After almost 20 years of this, I have found the clubs, organizations, and people I enjoy being associated with, and I have no problem if anyone doesn't agree with me about which ones they are, as that is also your personal choice that no one should criticize.

However, after many years in SAAC, MCA, and NCRS, I have enough experience to know what I like in a car organization and what I don't. I have also determined exactly what I want to get out of a car organization that I will spend countless hours, miles, and $$ participating in. To each his own, but I am done with SAAC and MCA due to their judging and meet organization, or lack thereof, but I don't have any problems with some friends I have who love them, that is up to each individual.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:19 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Bajaholic
This journey has led me to some of the most ****, self absorbed people I have ever met, but also many of the best people I have ever met...
LOL. I agree!
Old 12-02-2017, 03:19 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

I agree. It's all about enjoying the car which ever way you go. We all enjoy these old cars because they were our dream when we grew up. Perfectly stock or not quite stock or racing looks it's just what trips your trigger.

My little collection, 72 modified Porsche 911 (sleeper), my Classic Mini Cooper and now my Hemi/Vette where all dream cars as I grew up. I take them to car shows now and again just to turn heads. I drive them, the Porsche is the only one that gets track time, sunny days and back roads.

I enjoy mine and don't worry about their resale value as they will all go to my grand children
Old 12-02-2017, 04:40 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

I can't believe you let your membership lapse again! Come on back...we need characters like you to maintain minimal sanity.
You know how much pressure a flea could exert on anything, that's how much pull I got. But, I will suggest to the big guys a stripped down membership with no mags, and full access to events, including tech classes. No points earned. Might fly.
Excellent, Don! I did propose a "modified" class years ago and I'm damned happy that it's finally a reality, considering that trying to influence the NCRS is similar to trying to stop the USS Missouri traveling at flank speed. Bare bones membership might fly considering the dire financial projections as old curmudgeon rednecks death rate will continue to increase.

Never let membership lapse before. First time a few months ago after about 20 years. Just seemed like such a waste to me (one who hates waste, recycles, fixes things rather than 86-ing them, and never puts more food on his plate than he can and will finish). Got tired of throwing away unread magazines month after month.

The NCRS was a wonderful resource for me during my restoration process, but being as there are no more restorations on my horizon, I'll take my leave now.

My only wish is for people to realize just how fruitless it is to cling to the notion that "KORRECKETTTTTT" Corvettes are somehow "better" or more valuable than lightly modified/resto-modded Corvettes are. The prices that resto mods have been commanding for the last number of years should be evidence enough. But alas, the concrete brains of those purist fools don't register the reality of things.

No disrespect to you as a loyal NCRS water carrier; your offbeat comments are always amusing to me. Unfortunately most guys here don't like those who stir the pot.

"A day without laughter is a day wasted" -Charlie Chaplin

Now.............brace yourself for the anticipated barrage of hare-brained, narrow-minded remarks about Chaplin's political bent.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-02-2017 at 04:50 PM.
mikelj (12-02-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, so you think NCRS judging is difficult......

Old 12-02-2017, 06:39 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Joe
I hear you 5 x 5. And understand. I have been a member of SACC for about 8 years because my buds back home all own stiff axle cars. The only way I will ever own one is if someone gives me one. They don't float my boat like the floppy axles do. But, I keep renewing, National and SoCAL. Just because I have passion for the marque. And I'm in 6 different NCRS chapters, just because I like people in all of those chapters. That's why you should be a member. You have the passion. And minds are opening, slowly. Meets come around near you occasionally and you like to attend. I know, from first hand experience. As long as you are breathing, and own your 65, you should be in. That's it buddy.

One more thing Joe, Vinnie only sends out the Driveline 6 times a year, and the Restorer 4 times a year. So, the mags you are throwing out month after month must be your Better Homes & Gardens, Teen Life, or MAD that I know you take.

Last edited by 65hihp; 12-02-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:57 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Joe
I hear you 5 x 5. And understand. I have been a member of SACC for about 8 years because my buds back home all own stiff axle cars. The only way I will ever own one is if someone gives me one. They don't float my boat like the floppy axles do. But, I keep renewing, National and SoCAL. Just because I have passion for the marque. And I'm in 6 different NCRS chapters, just because I like people in all of those chapters. That's why you should be a member. You have the passion. And minds are opening, slowly. Meets come around near you occasionally and you like to attend. I know, from first hand experience. As long as you are breathing, and own your 65, you should be in. That's it buddy.
You shouldn't discount certain early Corvettes, the 1957 and 1962 models, explicitly. Both of these model years expressed both simplicity of styling, but breakthrough engineering facets which are earmarks up until the present day.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:56 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by kolsen911
I agree. It's all about enjoying the car which ever way you go. We all enjoy these old cars because they were our dream when we grew up. Perfectly stock or not quite stock or racing looks it's just what trips your trigger.

My little collection, 72 modified Porsche 911 (sleeper), my Classic Mini Cooper and now my Hemi/Vette where all dream cars as I grew up. I take them to car shows now and again just to turn heads. I drive them, the Porsche is the only one that gets track time, sunny days and back roads.

I enjoy mine and don't worry about their resale value as they will all go to my grand children
Kudos for taking the Porsche to the track. Too many guys with older cars rarely if ever take them to a track. I do track time whenever I can, and probably 98% of the time my '69 is the oldest car there (and usually by a decade or two).

Quick Reply: Ok, so you think NCRS judging is difficult......