C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fitting weather seals advice please

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 04:14 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fitting weather seals advice please

Is there a secret method to this?

Unlike most cars there aren't any specific channels for the door rubber so wanted to gather some tips from you lot

My car is going back together nicely

Name:  l5hkJwJ.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  740.7 KB
Old 12-08-2017, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

IF you are referring to the door main weatherstrips..they are going to be really fun to install with the doors on the car. I generally get the w/strips on the doors while the doors are off the car when I am painting it. They can be glued in place with the door on but it will not be easy by no means. Because the glue you should use is a contact cement which requires BOTH surfaces to have the glue applied to it and allow it to tack up. Check the link out below.

Hopefully the ones you have are REALLY soft...because you might find that currently...when your door is shut. It fits perfectly flush. BUT...when you install these w/strips...the top of the doors may poke out a bit due to the density of the w/strips you have purchased. I have found that some of these door w/strips where the w/strip has a molded 90 bend in it...that bend is really hard/dense...and it has caused me much grief to get the top back upper corner of the door to lay flat and flush when the door is closed with the w/strip installed. The 'other' area that gets me sometimes is the front top corner where the vent window frame vertical track kinds ends. The 45 degree bend in how the w/strip is installed is another area that can cause for the top of the door to poke out.

I do know that IF you are going to be installing your windshield I would HIGHLY advise that you get these two products. CRL 7708 and the CRL 1716 ( which requires a pump)

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...&ModelID=19964

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...&ModelID=19965

As for the w/strips and seal for your vent windows.,..those also can a challenge to get them set correctly so the vent window works correctly without binding.

The curved vertical track is also kinda fun...but if you get the correct ones that already have curve init...make it a bit easier...but they can be really fun gettign installed and the vertical rubber seal for the vent window that is attached to it.

AS for your actual vent window glass where it has the stainless frame on it....AND...how your door glass is attached to the horizontal metal housing that holds it. Use the stuff below to get those back to factory correct. I can not remember what thickness you need right off the top of my head because at my shop I bought all of the different thicknesses of thr channel tape.

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...ID=21073&pom=0

Just be patient....because it can push your limits...and I am saying that due to I know when I have to do a total w/strip replacement on a Corvette like yours...or any Corvette...I do not rush it. I can spend hours on the windshield being installed and sealed up with the products I have suggested..and THEN getting the trim on without scratching paint...makes me sweat like crazy. But I have done so many.....I know it is all a part of the process that I take my time and work smart.

DUB
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
solidaxel (02-12-2018), Vipergtrs (12-09-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I have replaced my conv door weatherstrip twice in 43 years. Each time with the doors off. You are afforded clear access to the subtle contours, making sure you get the appropriate part of the weatherstrip in the groove. If you go this route, put 2-3 layers of lite tack painters tape on all the edges of the doors and body.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluestripe67:
solidaxel (02-12-2018), Vipergtrs (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

That's great, Thank You so much for taking the time to respond.

Great help
Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM
Vipergtrs
Instructor

Are these pieces screwed in or pop riveted?

I don't seem to have any holes in my car where it might have once had them fitted

Old 12-11-2017, 03:02 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Auxiliary Door Seals

On my 67 convertible, those "Auxiliary Door Seals" are held in place by 3 screws as in your photo.

RON
The following users liked this post:
Vipergtrs (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

And when you install the 'auxiliary door seals'...using the 3M black strip caulk is also helpful so you can fill voids...and the other CRL products I previously mentioned can be used under the seal where the three screws go to prevent water getting into the holes you will need to drill to secure it.

DUB
Old 12-11-2017, 06:58 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipergtrs
Are these pieces screwed in or pop riveted?

I don't seem to have any holes in my car where it might have once had them fitted

Viper, you have a 66 coupe ... they did not get those hinge pillar weatherstrips for some reason ... like the other 4 yrs of C2 coupes did! Thats why you have no holes for the screws. Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Fitting weather seals advice please

Quick Reply: Fitting weather seals advice please