C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Nuclear Meltdown- Going back together...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:45 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,878 Likes on 916 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Nuclear Meltdown- Going back together...

Don't think I posted this in the C2 section when it happened...but figured I'd give a quick update. Short version is I had fuel pump failure on one of my pumps while under full power and I torched a piston, blew a head gasket and hurt the head. Ouch!

For the long version see:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-the-time.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-meltdown.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-together.html

But finally some progress this week! The Holiday's seemed to slow down production of parts and shipping had all sorts of issues. Plus it's freaking cold in TX this week. 15*-20* in an uninsulated shop is chilly! Normally insulation isn't a big issue in TX....supposed to be back in 50's by the weekend.

I sent my old cam off to Bullet to be re-ground...but when it was done.....

Somehow UPS decided to take it to my old house in this same town...but I haven't lived there in almost 5 years!! How does that happen? They've delivered other stuff to my current one! Luckily the people remembered my name and could see my phone number on the label and called me. Also luckily they had THAT address instead of the one in Utah where I lived before moving back here and buying a house on the other side of town. Oh well...strange stuff!

Anyway,,,cam turned out great and degreed in perfectly on every single event...opening, closing, centerline. Impressive! It ended up being a 255/257@.050 with .741/.725 lift. It has a 114.5 LSA. It's installed at 110* ICL.

The old cam was a 248/248@.050 with .756/.714 lift on a 114 LSA. I had it installed at 114 ICL. Both lift figures are with 1.8/1.7 rocker ratios.

So.....all of this adds up to I'll be opening the intake valve 7.5* earlier and closing it 0.5* earlier. The exhaust will open 9.5* earlier and close 0.5* earlier. All of this is geared to give it a chance to allow the little turbos more time to get exhaust out...should spin them harder with earlier opening of exhaust and get it out quicker. The added intake duration should help the power overall. We're adding 7* of overlap...from 20* to 27*....but that doesn't seem to worry anyone with this cam. Since the heads carried RPM very well before...should do at least as well this time. We'll see!

Went through the fun process of assembling the belt drive. PITA to put it all together but sure is sweet when it comes time to degree the cam!

Then there's the fun of tightening rod bolts with a stretch gauge. My Oliver rods have ARP 625 bolts in them. Suckers take right at 120# to get them to the .0062"-.0067" stretch! (even using ARP slick-em lube on them!)

My first set of head gaskets arrived bent pretty bad....and that's after waiting for Cometic to make them and get them to Jeg's who shipped them to me. So I sent them back and just ordered new ones directly from Cometic. Costs a little more but at least they know how to box them so they don't get destroyed! They just arrived today.

The heads came back the other day also. They look nice also.

Now time to get this thing screwed together and back in the car. I've got a track rental lined up for February 25th!!

JIM
Attached Images       
Old 01-03-2018, 01:23 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Wow- impressive!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:48 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You gonna run with the ECTA in April ? I'm tempted to get something running and come down.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:53 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Glad to see that you got the motor back together, and that you weren't injured when it blew
Old 01-03-2018, 12:37 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Glad to see that you got the motor back together, and that you weren't injured when it blew
Thanks. Actually the only indication anything was wrong was it sounded different and I took my foot out of it.

No smoke, no real miss sounds, oil pressure good, temps good. It ran/drove fine overall even with two cylinders not contributing their share.

But it's all fresh again and ready for some more abuse!

JIM
Old 01-03-2018, 12:38 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
You gonna run with the ECTA in April ? I'm tempted to get something running and come down.
No sir...probably won't make that one.

Keep us up to date on what you're bringing to represent us all!!

JIM
Old 01-03-2018, 04:39 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

427Hotrod, you're my hero. Keep on living the dream.....maybe some of your energy and enthusiasm will rub off on some of us!!
Old 01-04-2018, 03:02 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,275 Likes on 815 Posts

Glad you got it headed back to life again. I saw far too many similar issues in my garage as my Son learned how fast turbo engines can melt down.
Would an O2 sensor/knock sensor pick up lean burn or detonation fast enough to save your engine? My son has been over 850 HP with his twin turbo 5.7L for over 5 years now. It is still perfect but he does have O2 and knock sensors now and he learned to program his tune using fuel injection. He limits his to 6,000 RPM hoping for longevity.
His tune using E85 has produced the most power with zero detonation recorded.

Could a kill switch be wired in that engages when it detects fuel pressure drop?
Your horsepower level is up there in rare air for sure it might take some creative design to protect your fine engine.
Mark

Last edited by Westlotorn; 01-04-2018 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:44 AM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jim,

Been a long time since I have been on this forum! Its great to see you are still bringing down the house with your big block monsters!! Hope all has been good with you. I'm still racing the Pro Tour 70 Nova and getting ready to start back on my long lost LS7 powered SRIII 65 coupe.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:57 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Glad you got it headed back to life again. I saw far too many similar issues in my garage as my Son learned how fast turbo engines can melt down.
Would an O2 sensor/knock sensor pick up lean burn or detonation fast enough to save your engine? My son has been over 850 HP with his twin turbo 5.7L for over 5 years now. It is still perfect but he does have O2 and knock sensors now and he learned to program his tune using fuel injection. He limits his to 6,000 RPM hoping for longevity.
His tune using E85 has produced the most power with zero detonation recorded.

Could a kill switch be wired in that engages when it detects fuel pressure drop?
Your horsepower level is up there in rare air for sure it might take some creative design to protect your fine engine.
Mark
It's using two 02 sensors...one on each bank. They read independent as well as average. I've got protection setup in the system in case it loses fuel pressure or intake temps get too high. In my case...if the water/meth ran out or malfunctioned the intake temps would climb quickly under full boost and it would pull timing and go rich to protect it. Similar if fuel pressure is lost...or if it gets too lean.

In my case all was good except I got a slight pop at the top of 2nd gear and then it felt OK, then in 3rd it did it again for an instant. Back in the pits I looked things over...even pulled valve covers and nothing looked bad. I pulled a couple of plugs...but not #1. I made another pass and it popped harder and I let out and coasted through. That's when I found the secondary fuel pump sounded like it was eating rocks. When I looked at the fuel data logs the fuel pressure was moving around quickly as the pump provided fuel then dropped off and then back up quickly. So as the Holley system saw a problem, I can see it did its thing to protect stuff...but an instant later it had fuel pressure and it was game on again...then back off. This all happened in a few seconds. Turns out the damage was apparently done. #1 went lean I suppose being at the end of the fuel rail maybe? I dunno...otherwise all the plugs (and pistons) looked fine right up until then.

It had VP MS109 fuel in it which is oxygenated...so it tends to run a little leaner anyway...but the tune has been spot on 'till this happened.

E85 seems to be good stuff. It's starting to appear at pumps in my area...might be something to look into. Not too hard to set it up for dual fuels like the OEM's.

Not sure on the knock sensor. It would have to be not too sensitive to deal with forged pistons and solid roller valvetrain. But I know people use them and the Holley EFI accommodates them...I just haven't added any.

I'll notch up my protection window for sure when I go back out. Really don't want to do this again any time soon!

Thanks!

JIM
Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1coolC2
Jim,

Been a long time since I have been on this forum! Its great to see you are still bringing down the house with your big block monsters!! Hope all has been good with you. I'm still racing the Pro Tour 70 Nova and getting ready to start back on my long lost LS7 powered SRIII 65 coupe.
Great to see you back!

Yep...I'm still stirring up trouble and discontent with these nasty 'ole big blocks that like to rev like smallblocks.....

Keep us up to date on the '65....it's going to be fantastic!!

JIM
Old 01-05-2018, 03:22 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Jim it certainly sounds like you made every effort to protect your engine. Still a shame and I'm sorry it happened.
Good E85 does work amazingly well but I have heard reports that consistency is not always there from station to station.
You will have it running again soon and I look forward to your next adventures.
Mark
Old 01-08-2018, 12:16 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Made some more progress today. Weather much nicer....but only got to work on it for a few hours.

Oil pan on...re-verified TDC on balancer...installed heads.....

Just gotta set up the rockers, adjust valves...and then go to sticking it in. I'll install intake after it's in the car...it's a little elaborate to put together.

It'll be nice to have it back together...shop is a mess from thrashing!

See it...does have "oval ports"!!

JIM
Attached Images  

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 01-08-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:27 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Can't wait to see that back on the road, or track!
Old 01-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Those ports seem to be on the MASSIVE side Jim. What a Beast.
With dual turbo's I bet the installation takes quite a while longer than a stocker C2.
Nice progress thanks for posting pics.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:00 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 952 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Don't think I posted this in the C2 section when it happened...but figured I'd give a quick update. Short version is I had fuel pump failure on one of my pumps while under full power and I torched a piston, blew a head gasket and hurt the head. Ouch!

For the long version see:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-the-time.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-meltdown.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-together.html

But finally some progress this week! The Holiday's seemed to slow down production of parts and shipping had all sorts of issues. Plus it's freaking cold in TX this week. 15*-20* in an uninsulated shop is chilly! Normally insulation isn't a big issue in TX....supposed to be back in 50's by the weekend.

I sent my old cam off to Bullet to be re-ground...but when it was done.....

Somehow UPS decided to take it to my old house in this same town...but I haven't lived there in almost 5 years!! How does that happen? They've delivered other stuff to my current one! Luckily the people remembered my name and could see my phone number on the label and called me. Also luckily they had THAT address instead of the one in Utah where I lived before moving back here and buying a house on the other side of town. Oh well...strange stuff!

Anyway,,,cam turned out great and degreed in perfectly on every single event...opening, closing, centerline. Impressive! It ended up being a 255/257@.050 with .741/.725 lift. It has a 114.5 LSA. It's installed at 110* ICL.

The old cam was a 248/248@.050 with .756/.714 lift on a 114 LSA. I had it installed at 114 ICL. Both lift figures are with 1.8/1.7 rocker ratios.

So.....all of this adds up to I'll be opening the intake valve 7.5* earlier and closing it 0.5* earlier. The exhaust will open 9.5* earlier and close 0.5* earlier. All of this is geared to give it a chance to allow the little turbos more time to get exhaust out...should spin them harder with earlier opening of exhaust and get it out quicker. The added intake duration should help the power overall. We're adding 7* of overlap...from 20* to 27*....but that doesn't seem to worry anyone with this cam. Since the heads carried RPM very well before...should do at least as well this time. We'll see!

Went through the fun process of assembling the belt drive. PITA to put it all together but sure is sweet when it comes time to degree the cam!

Then there's the fun of tightening rod bolts with a stretch gauge. My Oliver rods have ARP 625 bolts in them. Suckers take right at 120# to get them to the .0062"-.0067" stretch! (even using ARP slick-em lube on them!)

My first set of head gaskets arrived bent pretty bad....and that's after waiting for Cometic to make them and get them to Jeg's who shipped them to me. So I sent them back and just ordered new ones directly from Cometic. Costs a little more but at least they know how to box them so they don't get destroyed! They just arrived today.

The heads came back the other day also. They look nice also.

Now time to get this thing screwed together and back in the car. I've got a track rental lined up for February 25th!!

JIM
Is that a Defense Intelligence Agency coaster...?
Old 01-08-2018, 11:20 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vjjack04
is that a defense intelligence agency coaster...?

CIA......

Jim

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 01-08-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Nuclear Meltdown- Going back together...

Old 01-08-2018, 11:28 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Westlotorn
Those ports seem to be on the MASSIVE side Jim. What a Beast.
With dual turbo's I bet the installation takes quite a while longer than a stocker C2.
Nice progress thanks for posting pics.
It really doesn't at all. The turbos are bolted to the frame and stay in place in the gill areas. Just unbolt the 3 bolts that hold pipe to shorty headers. U-bolt headers from head as usual and lift them right out.

The cold side consists of two pipes with a hose clamp at each end.

Got one oil line to the turbos at the oil pressure fitting.

After that it's easy stuff.

Radiator and shroud stays in place, the hood stays on it etc. I just separate the engine at the scattershield and leave it and trans in place.

Coils are inside under the dash with "passthroughs" going through the firewall for the wires. Unplug them off the plugs and set them out of the way still attached to passthroughs. No distributor...has a crank trigger with one plug in.

Throttle body is a little tricky but no biggee.....

It's really a pretty easy car to work on...much easier than some f my previous toys for sure!

JIM
Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I spoke to a friend that drag races a 67 Nova with a sbc 406 spinning 7,500 RPMs with 11:1 compression. He switched to E85 but had to buy a fuel test kit. He has seen E85 measure from exactly E85 to E98 all sold as E85. He is still sold on using E85 but tests with every purchase. He says he is making more power and loves the pump gas price.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:14 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Lots of folks using E-85 from the pump and doing well with it. I'll probably try it somewhere down the line as it becomes more available in my area.

Hard to beat the price!

JIM

Quick Reply: Nuclear Meltdown- Going back together...