C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 LED light conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,120 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default C2 LED light conversion

Well, I've finished converting my 63 to all LED exterior lighting. I love the result, the headlights are the "pony" lights discussed in an earlier thread. They are a vast improvement over both standard and halogen. The pic below shows the T3 lights in the blue car, compared to the LEDs in the silver car.

The next pics show the comparison to a normal bulb in appearance, the bright sockets have normal bulbs, the dims are LED

I've also installed LEDs in taillights and parking lights. The new LEDs are very much brighter. Note that installing both front and rear required a new flasher.

These changes make the car much more visible to other drivers when stopping and turning. The changes are very simple and I'd recommend them to everyone...

Last edited by Vettrocious; 01-04-2018 at 09:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Vettrocious:
Mike C#2 (02-08-2024), vettefred (02-13-2024), warrenmj (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 773 Likes on 433 Posts

Looks great! Thanks for the update. Updating headlamps is on my to do list.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:37 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Love those headlights. I've converted everything but headlights. Now I have to do that!

Even my dome lights!
The following users liked this post:
fjd (02-08-2024)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:44 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken
Love those headlights. I've converted everything but headlights. Now I have to do that!

Even my dome lights!
Couldn't do my dome light, (t's a convertible) but will do the foot well lights next...thinking about changing the dash lights after that, but I hate taking out the cluster...

Mike

Last edited by Vettrocious; 01-05-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:55 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by SnakePlisken

Even my dome lights!
I have a convertible so no dome light, but I’ve converted the footwell lights and the 3rd courtesy light under the deck lid along with all 4 taillights, backup lights, and front parking lights. All very easy and worthwhile conversions. Probably won’t do the headlights since I never drive at night.

Steve
Old 01-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Yeah, no sense changing headlights you don't use...

Here s one of the Pony lights...

Mike
serreyn (11-08-2021)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:09 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Yes, the cjpony LEd lights are bright. And with the newly designed ribbon heat sink you don't have to modify the cup to install them. The lens could disperse the light side to side more, maybe in their next generation.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:32 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Yes, the cjpony LEd lights are bright. And with the newly designed ribbon heat sink you don't have to modify the cup to install them. The lens could disperse the light side to side more, maybe in their next generation.
Ken, I found that I still had to modify the 63 bracket to clear the braided heat sink ribbon. Wouldn't have to do that on a later C2, though.

With the Harley lights I really had to chop up the headlight cooling fins, as well as the cup and the bracket. A much easier install with the CJpony lights. They also look more like they belong in a C2. The Harley lights were a bit better at the side-to-side dispersion, but not enough to compensate for all the fit work I had to do and the appearance.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:09 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
I have a convertible so no dome light, but I’ve converted the footwell lights and the 3rd courtesy light under the deck lid along with all 4 taillights, backup lights, and front parking lights. All very easy and worthwhile conversions. Probably won’t do the headlights since I never drive at night.

Steve
Convertible here too. I guess I call those lights dome lights because the wiring says “dome”
Old 01-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I'd forgotten about that deck lid light, probably because it's so dim it's not really noticeable. I think a LED would help that situation, anybody know what bulb to get?

Just checked: The one in my silver car is burnt out anyway
Old 01-07-2018, 02:23 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

I have installed LED bulbs in every light inside and outside of my '66 convertible except the headlights. I had to replace both flashers with electronic ones too. I used green LED's in the instrument cluster to mimic the original green cluster lights. Thanks for the info, I have been waiting on doing the headlights until the options got better. The T3's are just a vague notion of headlights.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:31 PM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
Well, I've finished converting my 63 to all LED exterior lighting. I love the result, the headlights are the "pony" lights discussed in an earlier thread. They are a vast improvement over both standard and halogen. The pic below shows the T3 lights in the blue car, compared to the LEDs in the silver car.

The next pics show the comparison to a normal bulb in appearance, the bright sockets have normal bulbs, the dims are LED

I've also installed LEDs in taillights and parking lights. The new LEDs are very much brighter. Note that installing both front and rear required a new flasher.

These changes make the car much more visible to other drivers when stopping and turning. The changes are very simple and I'd recommend them to everyone...
I have never heard of these headlights? can you point me in the right direction? thanks troy
Old 01-07-2018, 05:21 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Search "cjpony parts". I think they are for a 69 Mustang. I'll find the box and/or receipt and give you more details. I think the pic on the cjpony site looks bit different that the actual parts, (the heat sink is now a braided ribbon).

The box label says: "MP-5-XP-LED"

I hope that helps

Mike

Last edited by Vettrocious; 01-07-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:27 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

I'd forgotten about that deck lid light, probably because it's so dim it's not really noticeable. I think a LED would help that situation, anybody know what bulb to get?

Just checked: The one in my silver car is burnt out anyway
I have never kept a bulb in the convertible because of heat. I usually have lots stuff in the rear space in my travels , I did not want the bulb to melt a windbreaker or similar type materials. The socket (bulb) is not protected with dome

Jack

Last edited by Jackfit; 01-07-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jackfit
I have never kept a bulb in the convertible because of heat. I usually have lots stuff in the rear space in my travels , I did not want the bulb to melt a windbreaker or similar type materials. The socket (bulb) is not protected with dome

Jack
LED's are usually pretty cool to the touch. That'll solve the heat issues, but you still won't have shield...
Old 01-07-2018, 06:12 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

<snip>
FYI, LED "headlights" like that are not legal for use on public roads anywhere in the world. They are also very dangerous to you, as well as annoying to oncoming traffic.

Updating the lighting on classics is a good idea. Even modern sealed beam units with halogen bulbs in them greatly outperform old lighting. There are also some "universal fit" lights, either USDOT spec or ECE (European) spec which fit where sealed beam units were fitted by the factor. Either choice, with appropriate halogen bulbs (if the optics are designed for halogen bulbs) will perform very well.

There are some (US) DOT compliant LED units (full replacements for the sealed beams, not LED retrofits in halogen optics). Most of those are pretty crude and marginally safe, but much better than what you have in your picture. There are a few that aren't horrible, though.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Well, in that case, C6_Racer_X, I guess I'd recommend you not use them on your personal car...

Get notified of new replies

To C2 LED light conversion

Old 01-07-2018, 08:39 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Well, in that case, C6_Racer_X, I guess I'd recommend you not use them on your personal car...
I don't use them on my personal car. I also don't ride in any vehicle equipped with lights like that.

I started that policy after riding the passenger seat of a car into a fallen tree. The car involved had retrofit LED "headlight bulbs" which threw a pattern very similar to your pictures The driver didn't see the fallen tree until it was too late. The problem with those lights is that they throw a lot of very bright light on the road close to the car. Your pupils constrict from the bright light close in, and the result is that it ruins your distance vision. People also tend to overdrive their low beams and not use high beams at higher speeds (when there's nobody in front). Both of those were factors in the accident I rode into in the passenger seat.

BTW, it's also against forum policy to recommend/encourage illegal activity. Driving on public roads with lights like those is definitely illegal.

I haven't looked for replacements for the smaller (135mm) round 4 light systems recently. I would recommend anyone looking for the best lighting possible for those setups to contact Daniel Stern and follow his advice.
Dave64 (04-02-2020)
Old 01-07-2018, 10:27 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
I don't use them on my personal car. I also don't ride in any vehicle equipped with lights like that.

I started that policy after riding the passenger seat of a car into a fallen tree. The car involved had retrofit LED "headlight bulbs" which threw a pattern very similar to your pictures The driver didn't see the fallen tree until it was too late. The problem with those lights is that they throw a lot of very bright light on the road close to the car. Your pupils constrict from the bright light close in, and the result is that it ruins your distance vision. People also tend to overdrive their low beams and not use high beams at higher speeds (when there's nobody in front). Both of those were factors in the accident I rode into in the passenger seat.

BTW, it's also against forum policy to recommend/encourage illegal activity. Driving on public roads with lights like those is definitely illegal.

I haven't looked for replacements for the smaller (135mm) round 4 light systems recently. I would recommend anyone looking for the best lighting possible for those setups to contact Daniel Stern and follow his advice.
Your reading comprehension is less than comprehensive. Re-read the posts. I didn't recommend the headlights, I reported on the headlight change. I only recommended the taillights and turn signal lights later in the post:

"These changes make the car much more visible to other drivers when stopping and turning. The changes are very simple and I'd recommend them to everyone...". I stand by that statement.

In any case, if I wanted to run illegal headlights, it would be between me and the proper authorities, it is none of your business. Feel free to report me, good luck. You're just looking for an argument, why don't go back to whatever forum you previously had been flaming... I'm done talking to you, for good.

Last edited by Vettrocious; 01-07-2018 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default I think a little calm would help

Thanks for the post on use of Pony lights....

The fact that they maybe or are illegal is a fact that all should know...I drive quite a bit at night and was thinking about them...however...I know how I dislike glaring headlights...and at our age..it is magnified...

So lets get less personal and more informative....

I do have both rear and front LED s in my parking and tail lights...

Jack

Quick Reply: C2 LED light conversion