C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The 3 types of classic car buyers

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:04 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Regarding the next generation and classic vehicles. At the end of my aviation career 2 1/2 years ago at the age of 72, I found the younger set who had grown up on computers and the internet, lost or didn't have the basic flying skills. They love their laptops and the push button control of the airplane. Auto pilot on at 500 ft and off at 500 ft. Rudder pedals where just foot rests.

Anyway, they are a different generation. There will still be car nuts but not as many as today.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Hermn59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
I’ll take Frankie’s stoplight any day over what I’m next to at today’s stoplights.

Steve
You mean like this...
Old 03-12-2018, 03:17 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Hermn59
You mean like this...
Wow! I’ve never seen a red dumpster.

Steve
Old 03-13-2018, 08:11 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

I also have had seven corvettes restored two 63s and one 67 driven the first 63 40,000
miles in 17 years .Don't drive them now and don't have a corvette .
But still have the knowledge .I thought they were talking about me .
Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,997 Likes on 4,813 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rtruman
I also have had seven corvettes restored two 63s and one 67 driven the first 63 40,000
miles in 17 years .Don't drive them now and don't have a corvette .
But still have the knowledge .I thought they were talking about me .

There are a few who post on here that don’t own a C1/C2 currently but have extensive knowledge. JohnZ comes to mind. People need to stop being jealous and disrespectful
The following users liked this post:
rtruman (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I own and sold recently a 61 Corvette (my first Corvette purchased at age 56 and held for 10 years), I now have a split window. I've had a few members throw in my face the fact that I don't have "40 years experience" working on them.

Laughable as I've been around the big 3 classic (and foreign) car biz before they were classics - and I can read a manual and other docs and 99% of the time figure out what needs to be done and then do it. If you've worked on Camaros, Chevelles and Impalas, vintage Corvettes are far from rocket science...

This Corvette "elitist" BS doesn't help promote the hobby or engage the younger crowd one whit....

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-13-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

This Corvette "elitist" BS doesn't help promote the hobby or engage the younger crowd one whit....
If anything this is what turns the younger crowd away before they even try to start. And FYI that problem is just not in the Corvette world.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:09 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Read through this a bit again today and a few things come to mind. Random, pointless, personal observations.

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
I was watching Mecum Auto Auctions on TV the other day. They said , there are now three types of buyers for antique/ classic cars now.

Buyer:

#1 This buyer wants all original parts and with no upgrades, usually people in their late-60’s- 70’s reliving their high school days...

....Buyer #1 will no longer exist in 20 years, they thought...

Originally Posted by EnfieldJoe

The classic car auction houses see the future and are starting their misinformation campaigns to keep their dream alive IMO.
The OP’s thread is based on the opinions of the TV representatives of the most prolific TV covered and nationally active auction companies in America.

How exactly are they then contributing to a misinformation campaign? What does that mean?

-I have to say, one of the worst recent developments in the hobby is the constant reference that my demographic will be dead soon. Anyone else a little tired of this salient point?

-I think those of us who prefer that old cars remain as they were built are clearly the older crowd, but starting that group with “late 60s” is about a decade too late in my opinion. I’m 61 and most of my friends including those 5 and 10 years younger still like stock cars. I also know plenty of restomod guys that aren’t kids.

-the idea that these cars were unaffordable when we were kids is also interesting to me. I bought my first, a ‘65 big block, in 1976 for $2500. My second, a ‘68 roadster in 1978, was $3000. Even as a kid in college I never found Corvettes to be an unaffordable exotic. Maybe they were repaired cheaply and has primer spots on them, but my crowd all had these cars as kids. They weren’t classic collectible unobtainium Ming Vases back then.

-I am so done trying to speculate about the future and being concerned about young people entering the hobby. The bottom line is, kids for the most part do not share the car culture we did. Not a single one of my friends needed someone to “introduce” them to the hobby. We loved cars without any help. If the kids now don’t, then they don’t.

-speculating on future values, no matter what type of car you own, will always be a legitimate concern in my eyes. It doesn’t make you less of a car guy, it doesn’t mean you don’t enjoy your cars, it doesn’t say anything negative about you. If you own a car the could be valued in the 6 figure neighborhood, you would be a fool not to consider value and future sale of that asset.

-I do hope I last long enough to look back on all the speculation and predictions I hear about the next 20 years. A lot of people are pretty sure how everything is going to play out. Real life has a nasty habit of defying such confidence.
The following 7 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
Big2Bird (03-24-2018), Frankie the Fink (03-13-2018), GTOguy (03-23-2018), L72copo (03-13-2018), leif.anderson93 (03-13-2018), RatDog (03-13-2018), rtruman (03-13-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-13-2018, 11:59 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The cars and the car scene culture of the 60's are in the past. Nothing I can do about it but reminisce fondly.

The future will take care of itself and has zero impact on my ability to enjoy my car in the present.

That's my philosophy and I'm sticking by it. Too old to change <LOL>

Steve
The following 4 users liked this post by RatDog:
GTOguy (03-23-2018), L72copo (03-13-2018), silver837 (03-13-2018), vettebuyer6369 (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well said Steve, I'm about over the whole angst thing about values, future direction, restomods vs originals, NCRS nit-picking, etc..

Down to one gorgeous car again after 10 years or so of owning more than one...so I'm not over-extended money-wise into the hobby, nor have a legacy of iron some relative will have to deal with on my demise... I also don't give two hoots about someone else's interest or knowledge about the cars.

My wife went to the all day Seaworld car show with me two weekends back and must have forgotten how I interact with admirers.

She said, "....you're a different person". Guess I amazed her taking time to explain about the old Corvettes to foreigners, letting kids sit in the car for pictures...or respectfully listening to some old gophers fuzzy memories about those 427 63 Sting Rays with side pipes. These cars are inspirational in or out of original trim, no matter if you have an overseas accent, are 12 or 112 or if you financial circumstances force you to drive a KIA..

Can't say if it was the wreck, getting older, or, the endless opinionated banter about unsolvable topics on the forum...but I've mellowed out quite a bit.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 03-13-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Hermn59 (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 03:41 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
There are a few who post on here that don’t own a C1/C2 currently but have extensive knowledge. JohnZ comes to mind. People need to stop being jealous and disrespectful
JohnZ is an icon who has truly "been there done that". Very few on this forum can come anywhere near his level of knowledge. He has in fact owned C2s previously

One of the best things about him is that he offers facts, not opinions, and doesn't try to tell others what they should do.

Any comparison to him is potentially self aggrandizement and delusion - and disrespectful of him.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 03-13-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:48 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
JohnZ is an icon who has truly "been there done that". Very few on this forum can come anywhere near his level of knowledge. He has in fact owned C2s previously

One of the best things about him is that he offers facts, not opinions, and doesn't try to tell others what they should do.

Any comparison to him is potentially self aggrandizement and delusion - and disrespectful of him.
My comment was towards the other guys saying if you don’t own a corvette you shouldn’t be helping others

By no means would I EVER compare myself or others to John. He is he master So just chill out

Last edited by Nowhere Man; 03-13-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
My comment was towards the other guys saying if you don’t own a corvette you shouldn’t be helping others

By no means would I EVER compare myself or others to John. He is he master So just chill out
I stand behind what I said about John.

Perhaps you should consider taking your own advice.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

We get it Tux, if JohnZ ever quits posting, all the other members move up a slot.

Like GEICO commercials say, "...everyone knows that!"
tuxnharley (03-13-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 02:23 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by corvetteed
lotta truth in what EnfieldJoe says. There are exceptions, of course, but, in the next 15 years, hardly anyone will want the 50's cars, as now days, almost no one wants the 40's cars.

Here is the big problem. Since 1995 only 60% of 16-18 year olds are getting their driver's licence in the U.S.A. Of those 60% with a car license, some will never purchase a car. So little over half of the population are driving. The rest are taking trains, the bus or bikes to work.
This will not help the future classic car/truck hobby. But, my opinion, resto-mods will save the C1/C2 Corvette from dying like the 40's cars as you mentioned.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:06 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tbarb
....We may find out these old cars are not even allowed on roads in the near future.

A big concern. It is hard to believe we are even allowed to drive a car at all. With all the safety regulations, not just for cars but for ANYTHING. Think firecrackers, seat belts, BB guns, swing sets, porch railings, car seats, you name it. We all must be protected from the lowest common denominator. Driving a a vehicle is really far too dangerous for the average american.

Once self driving it is cheap and proliferated enough, there will be no reason for the government to allow you to perform such dangerous activities. I can clearly see a time where dangerous vehicles such as ours are simply not allowed on public roadways.

Personally I think we are f***ing up the process of natural selection.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:37 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 442 Likes on 320 Posts

After having classic cars all my life raising kids around them to respect them .
Having the ultimate years from a very early age .
A lot of baby boomer's will keep them as trophy's .To look at polish and keep forever no matter what .
I sold out on the two 63 coups I have had because I can still fill the bill with a classic truck .
The money is good and my new addition is looking good also.
Gotta know when to hold um,and when to move on .

Last edited by rtruman; 03-23-2018 at 07:38 PM.
solidaxel (03-24-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To The 3 types of classic car buyers

Old 03-23-2018, 08:50 PM
Nicola
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just recently sold my 66 roadster after 30 years of ownership.
Sold the car because the “in and out” and lack of interior space just became to taxing on my body. In short the “thrill is gone” but the C2 love still remains.

Aside from that...more kind of to the point.
The C2 will always carry a “significance” cuz its such a “purdy” car.
Most importantly...It’s a 2 seater sports car with a legacy.
How the tomorrow’s car person looks at the C2 remains to be seen.

But I would rather be a Corvette than an impala that’s for sure.

Cheers and good health to all!!!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:35 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369

-I have to say, one of the worst recent developments in the hobby is the constant reference that my demographic will be dead soon. Anyone else a little tired of this salient point?

-I think those of us who prefer that old cars remain as they were built are clearly the older crowd, but starting that group with “late 60s” is about a decade too late in my opinion. I’m 61 and most of my friends including those 5 and 10 years younger still like stock cars. I also know plenty of restomod guys that aren’t kids.

-the idea that these cars were unaffordable when we were kids is also interesting to me. I bought my first, a ‘65 big block, in 1976 for $2500. My second, a ‘68 roadster in 1978, was $3000. Even as a kid in college I never found Corvettes to be an unaffordable exotic. Maybe they were repaired cheaply and has primer spots on them, but my crowd all had these cars as kids. They weren’t classic collectible unobtainium Ming Vases back then.

-I am so done trying to speculate about the future and being concerned about young people entering the hobby. The bottom line is, kids for the most part do not share the car culture we did. Not a single one of my friends needed someone to “introduce” them to the hobby. We loved cars without any help. If the kids now don’t, then they don’t.

-speculating on future values, no matter what type of car you own, will always be a legitimate concern in my eyes. It doesn’t make you less of a car guy, it doesn’t mean you don’t enjoy your cars, it doesn’t say anything negative about you. If you own a car the could be valued in the 6 figure neighborhood, you would be a fool not to consider value and future sale of that asset.

-I do hope I last long enough to look back on all the speculation and predictions I hear about the next 20 years. A lot of people are pretty sure how everything is going to play out. Real life has a nasty habit of defying such confidence.
The car collector hobby is far from dead, just changing. Between SEMA, BJ, Mecum, Hagerty, Velocity, Leno, etc., collector cars are thru the roof.
There is a finite supply of original cars, and that will always be the case.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by EnfieldJoe
I believe that when the Baby Boomer generation is gone, the Harleys, classic cars, and Hot Rods will become extinct and have no value to the Next Gens.

Just my two cents.
Been saying this for several years now. I'm 60 with a fresh frame off 65 that will have zero value when I die so I'm going to drive it like I stole it and throw it away when I'm done. Same goes for all my tools when I'm done with those.

Quick Reply: The 3 types of classic car buyers