C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How do I remove swirls and scratches from a new new 2x4 cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default How do I remove swirls and scratches from a new new 2x4 cleaner?

The new repro air cleaner that I bought for my '61 2x4 some weeks ago has some scratches and perhaps 200 sanding marks. There weren't any others available so I went with it. I used the best metal polish I could buy locally and a 6" microfiber pad on my DA at slow speed for over a hour and made very limited progress in getting rid of the defects. Looks like I'm going to need to sand it.

What at the recommended grits to progress through? Or is there some other way that I'm not thinking about?
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2018, 12:18 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

try 1500 grit
Old 01-15-2018, 12:18 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If that is aluminum you can sand and polish them out if it's not anodized.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:29 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,040 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Mother's Chrome and Aluminum Polish works wonders on chrome.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:34 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I had similar issues with a new 1x4 cover.
Tried Mothers.. it took some of the scratches out, but it made the whole thing 'cloudy' as well. Not sure if it's the materials in these repro parts.....

I finally got some shine back on it by applying Zaino polish (!)..
Old 01-15-2018, 12:36 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

You are going to need a sequence of grits if you are going to polish it to amirror finish.

It is aluminum, isn't it? If it is chrome steel, uh, no, take it to chrome shop.

If AL, first 1500, or 2000, then 2500, 3000, 4000 grit, then polishing.

Or, take it to pro metal polishing place and have them do it, as they have the stuff all set up already and can probably fix you up for less than $50.

Doug
Old 01-15-2018, 01:00 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

If you sand and polish the scratches out, won't you end up with a shiny surface? I seem to remember that the original surface of this item was a somewhat dull and unpolished.

How do you sand the scratches out, and leave the surface dull?
Old 01-15-2018, 01:21 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by johngammel
The new repro air cleaner that I bought for my '61 2x4 some weeks ago has some scratches and perhaps 200 sanding marks. There weren't any others available so I went with it. I used the best metal polish I could buy locally and a 6" microfiber pad on my DA at slow speed for over a hour and made very limited progress in getting rid of the defects. Looks like I'm going to need to sand it.

What at the recommended grits to progress through? Or is there some other way that I'm not thinking about?
Try Mother's Bumper Chrome Power Buffer Kit. If that does not work, have it re-chromed or purchase a new one. These are your only options.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:27 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

The MAIN thing is finding out if it's aluminum first. If it's aluminum the above article by AZDoug would be the process.

If it's chrome...re-chrome.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:53 PM
Canuck62
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Those marks look like they were left by an orbital sander and will be tough to remove if it is chrome
i would suggest a good buffing compound for chrome or a good one for aluminum ,, they will be different
You could buy a buffing kit with wheel and compound or take to a a body shop or place that does chrome
Old 01-15-2018, 03:50 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Keep in mind that the original cleaners are not shiny....my original has a machined, almost matte finish. It looks nothing like the repop posted above.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:52 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Keep in mind that the original cleaners are not shiny....my original has a machined, almost matte finish. It looks nothing like the repop posted above.
Yes. This has always mystified me. I have my original (it's pretty beat up), but it has a matte grey finish. I was shocked when my repop came and it was super shiny!

Is it really chrome, or highly polished aluminum? I'm not sure.
Does anyone make the matte finish version like the original?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:04 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

It's non-magnetic so I'm assuming it's some type of aluminum. There aren't any polishing shops near me that I know of as I don't live in a metro area. I'll see what I can find further from home (perhaps Tampa).

I have cleaned up some aluminum wheels using very fine sand paper and then polish. The last time I did this I wet sanded with 1500, then 2500, then polish. I don't know what type of aluminum this is but it seems to be different than wheels.

When I get the scratches out I'm hoping that after some months it will start to dull down.

You've got to love these poorly made incorrect reproduction parts.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The last dual quad repro air cleaner I got for the 61 was buffed with distinct lines straight across from right to left...not super shiny. I suspect it was done with a buffing wheel and various grades of abrasive/polish.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:19 AM
Vettegeezer
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by johngammel
It's non-magnetic so I'm assuming it's some type of aluminum. There aren't any polishing shops near me that I know of as I don't live in a metro area. I'll see what I can find further from home (perhaps Tampa).

I have cleaned up some aluminum wheels using very fine sand paper and then polish. The last time I did this I wet sanded with 1500, then 2500, then polish. I don't know what type of aluminum this is but it seems to be different than wheels.

When I get the scratches out I'm hoping that after some months it will start to dull down.

You've got to love these poorly made incorrect reproduction parts.
As far as getting the polished surface to become dull, the following method was described to me by a fellow Corvette club member. He has restored polished aluminum to a factory finish by leaving the part outside for a few months and the rain will dull the finish down, assuming you have acid rain in Florida as we have in NY! I have not tried this myself, but he has used it to get close to the proper finish on Corvette valve covers that I have seen.
Phil M.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Muttley
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
Yes. This has always mystified me. I have my original (it's pretty beat up), but it has a matte grey finish. I was shocked when my repop came and it was super shiny!

Is it really chrome, or highly polished aluminum? I'm not sure.
Does anyone make the matte finish version like the original?
You can check it with a magnet--if it's a GTO-style chrome steel air cleaner, the magnet should stick. If it's aluminum, the magnet will not. There may also be another possibility to explain the appearance, though.

I have an aluminum reproduction air cleaner that came with a protective coating on it, possibly clear lacquer. I'd gotten the air cleaner second hand, and it had been on the shelf for a number of years, and I noticed the surface looked cloudy in one or two spots. Otherwise, the presence of the coating wouldn't have been that obvious.

In reconditioning it, the first thing I did was remove the coating with some paint stripper. I'd say give yours a close inspection and see if it's similarly coated.

(For anyone that was in the military, particularly Navy or USMC, the coating was very much like the "quartermaster" that came on new brass belt buckles. That made the buckles look shiny and stay maintenance free for a while, but any inspector or DI worth his salt would spot the quartermaster finish right away--and woe to the sailor, Marine, or officer candidate who got caught with that. So, better to strip it off from the beginning and let the metal look like metal).

Edit to add some photos; first one is with the coating that is starting to de-laminate, second is after stripping and some progressive wet sanding:

Last edited by Muttley; 01-16-2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Edit to add some photos
Old 01-16-2018, 11:44 AM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

That should be anodized aluminum,

Consider the anodizing on aluminum the same as chrome plating on steel, You WILL sand or polish thru it, and it will show no different that buffing thru paint to the primer... when you do you will have a mess on your hands, then you will have to remove ALL the anodizing to get to bare aluminum , which would be impossible to do around the louvers. But if you DID get it all off it will buff up chrome-like BUT will stain and discolor in the elements like a sob. Best to get a new lid...

Get notified of new replies

To How do I remove swirls and scratches from a new new 2x4 cleaner?

Old 01-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Muttley
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

I didn't think the original lids were anodized, but I don't possess one of those.

I can say definitively that the coating I removed (from a repro lid) was much thicker than anodizing would be--it wrinkled up and lifted after the stripper was applied, and came off as a gooey substance.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:48 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Here is a photo of my original lid.
I agree.. I don't see any sign of anodizing..
Looks like bare aluminum.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:34 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Muttley
I didn't think the original lids were anodized, but I don't possess one of those.

I can say definitively that the coating I removed (from a repro lid) was much thicker than anodizing would be--it wrinkled up and lifted after the stripper was applied, and came off as a gooey substance.

I can't tell you what an original one was...His is not original it's a re-pop. The Re-Pops I saw were listed as anodized.

Quick Reply: How do I remove swirls and scratches from a new new 2x4 cleaner?