C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 63 Corvette steering column cone replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:11 AM
lbpollardva
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63 Corvette steering column cone replacement

I sure could use some help. I am in the process of sanding and painting the steering column. I took it apart and now am concerned about getting everything back together properly. The parts in the cone are my big concern. I have been googling for help, but have not found enough detail. Does anyone know where I might find good diagrams to go by? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

The AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) for 1963 is available from the NCRS or many vendors here such as Wilcox. Not sure what "cone" you are talking about but if its the housing for the one-year-only, fragile turn signal mechanism be darn careful. Always take cell phone pics of parts before disassembly. The 1963 Shop Manual is a necessity as well. The parts go as shown below and the wire shown in the first photo has a loop that has to go over the arm (red arrow) in the last photo. This is the cable for the turn signal (the switch is on the column towards the firewall).

Be EXTRA careful of that upper turn column bearing (the wide copper ring show in the picture) they are not only the horn contact and shaft bearing, the correct ones are 63 only and hard to find if you break them.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-17-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:56 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

lbpollardva,
The turn signal systems was one of the worst parts of putting my 63 back together. In fact I never got it to work to my satisfaction. ... But if/when you get the cancelling cam portion properly assembled, keep in mind that it has to work in concert with the shielded cable that runs down the column to the electrical switch near the base of the column. Both the cancelling cam AND the cable/switch have to be properly adjusted for the turn signals to work right. .... I'll leave it to others who were more successful than me to offer specific advice. I gave up and went with an aftermarket steering column.
The following users liked this post:
lbpollardva (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 07:09 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

This is why you need the shop manual...working from memory I believe the shop manual says to have the turn signal at the steering column in the left turn position before attaching the cable at the electrical switch. Someone should confirm that.

However, its a simple cable adjustment at the switch to 'hit' the center/left/right positions; I have no problem with it...
Old 01-17-2018, 10:55 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
This is why you need the shop manual...working from memory I believe the shop manual says to have the turn signal at the steering column in the left turn position before attaching the cable at the electrical switch. Someone should confirm that.

However, its a simple cable adjustment at the switch to 'hit' the center/left/right positions; I have no problem with it...
It's actually a very simple design BUT, the information in the AIM and shop manuals leave a little to be desired.

After you assemble one it's no problem. Do some research in the forum and NCRS archives and I'm sure you will find good info because you are not the first person to have difficulty with the 63 design.

To the O/P, do you have a 1963 assembly manual and shop manual?

Last edited by tbarb; 01-17-2018 at 10:56 AM.
lbpollardva (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:08 AM
lbpollardva
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

The AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) for 1963 is available from the NCRS or many vendors here such as Wilcox. Not sure what "cone" you are talking about but if its the housing for the one-year-only, fragile turn signal mechanism be darn careful. Always take cell phone pics of parts before disassembly. The 1963 Shop Manual is a necessity as well. The parts go as shown below and the wire shown in the first photo has a loop that has to go over the arm (red arrow) in the last photo. This is the cable for the turn signal (the switch is on the column towards the firewall).

Be EXTRA careful of that upper turn column bearing (the wide copper ring show in the picture) they are not only the horn contact and shaft bearing, the correct ones are 63 only and hard to find if you break them.
Thank you for all the help. I have the 1963 Shop Manual and just ordered the AIM.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You may find its worth while to get the 64 supplement to the 63 Shop Manual as it contains some 63 updated info...(if you don't already have it)
Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by tbarb
It's actually a very simple design BUT, the information in the AIM and shop manuals leave a little to be desired.

After you assemble one it's no problem. Do some research in the forum and NCRS archives and I'm sure you will find good info because you are not the first person to have difficulty with the 63 design.

To the O/P, do you have a 1963 assembly manual and shop manual?
Yes indeedy....just like figuring out how tight the spring clamp on the firewall side of the steering column is supposed to be by reading the instructions
lbpollardva (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:21 PM
rene-paul
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

The AIM is your friend when assembling the c63 column. Section 9 and 12 have the info ;4 pages if my fast fading memory serves me. Note that the bell or cone as you mentioned must go onto the column before the upper bearing is installed. Hopefully your upper bearing is ok. I did clean and regrease my original. Do not foget the proper indexing of shaft, hub, rag joint and steering gear. I did a write up on this and Buns added the pics. Try a search.Keep us informed.
Brgds,
Rene
lbpollardva (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:43 PM
lbpollardva
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks to everyone. Once I get it painted, I should be able to tackle the reassembly with all this help.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:22 PM
lbpollardva
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

You may find its worth while to get the 64 supplement to the 63 Shop Manual as it contains some 63 updated info...(if you don't already have it)
Thanks. I have just ordered one.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:25 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Rebuilding the steering column was the very first thing I did with my 63 when I brought it home. The signal switch and cable takes some fiddling, the signal cancel cam too...but go slow and it will work out.

Make sure the mast jacket is aligned correctly and the spring has the right tension.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:21 PM
lbpollardva
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the sage advice. I will not rush.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:23 AM
lbpollardva
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I got the turn signal back together partially. My testing shows that the left signal is locking into place, but the right turn is not. Wonder what I have done wrong?
Old 01-21-2018, 04:52 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 741 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by rene-paul
The AIM is your friend when assembling the c63 column. Section 9 and 12 have the info ;4 pages if my fast fading memory serves me. Note that the bell or cone as you mentioned must go onto the column before the upper bearing is installed. Hopefully your upper bearing is ok. I did clean and regrease my original. Do not foget the proper indexing of shaft, hub, rag joint and steering gear. I did a write up on this and Buns added the pics. Try a search.Keep us informed.
Brgds,
Rene
Good stuff Rene and Tim (buns).
PDF attached.
Dave Z

P.S. Let me now if I have anything screwed up in the PDF.
Attached Images
Old 01-21-2018, 05:19 PM
lbpollardva
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you. I may have it though the right turn signal is not quite as well locked as the left. Before going any farther I tested it. Now I only have the left blinker and it won't shut off in any possition. What have I done wrong now? Thank you in advance. Lewis
Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 PM
lbpollardva
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

It's the left turn signal that is not holding s well as it should. I have ordered a AIM, but it has not arrived. Questions: is there just the one wire that runs the lights and the horn? Did it make any difference with the signal that the rest of the assembly is not completed? I didn't see any sense in going farther if the signal is not functioning properly. (Touching a screwdriver to the unit does activate the horn if that makes any difference.) Thanks in advance for any thoughts on what I should try next. - Lewis

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Corvette steering column cone replacement

Old 01-21-2018, 08:59 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

From the '63 AIM:

Old 01-22-2018, 01:49 AM
lbpollardva
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is what I've done. I don't know if the pictures will help or not. I have the cable over the arm. The other arm is in the slot on the cancelling cam. I did this with the left turn set. I had one wire from the shaft that I hooked back up. When I turn the ignition switch on the left light on the dash blinks. It will not stop no matter where put the turn signal. (The horn works by touching the unit with a screwdriver.) Why is the blinker not operating correctly? Do I need to assemble more or disassemble and make some adjustments? Also, I wonder if I have the cone adjusted to the correct distance down the shaft? That, for some reason, helps the turn signal stay in the left turn position. Anyway, I spent most of yesterday getting to where I am for better or worse. Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions. PS. I have ordered the AIM manual and the 64 supliment, but they will be a while getting here. Best, Lewis
Old 01-22-2018, 07:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Did you follow the procedure in this post about having the switch in the left turn position before assembling the cable to the arm ?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594044954

Quick Reply: [C2] 63 Corvette steering column cone replacement