C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Ran Into a "Corvette Expert"

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by RatDog
Years ago when my wife and I were getting our carry permits, she did extremely well on the range test with all of her shots on or fairly close to the bullseye. Mine were all over the place. The instructor was impressed with her. She told me later on the way home that she closed her eyes when she pulled the trigger.

A few months later we took some one-on-one training from an NRA instructor. Again, her shots were very well placed, so good, in fact that the instructor asked her if she'd be interested in joining their competitive shooting group. She confessed to him that she closed her eyes when she pulled the trigger. He was speechless.

She's a much better shot with her eyes closed than I am with my eyes open.

Steve
Ha! I used to shoot a lot and my wife joined me. I would reload .357 magnum rounds. I marked particularly 'hot' loads with a dab of red nail polish. One day after shooting for an hour or so, the wife was bored with the factory ammo and said, "...I want to shoot some more of those really loud ones".

She's always been a good handgun shot, I was better with the rifle.

Back On Topic:

I do miss the sexy cockpit of my '61 and the round nested gauge cluster and the 'school bus' steering wheel and the hypodermic needle shifter.

One Corvette expert begged me to sit in the car and it was a hoot watching him climb on-board. He was kinda stout. After he struggled for a full minute I showed him the correct way to enter and he was amazed at how easy it was...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-06-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
Years ago when my wife and I were getting our carry permits, she did extremely well on the range test with all of her shots on or fairly close to the bullseye. Mine were all over the place. The instructor was impressed with her. She told me later on the way home that she closed her eyes when she pulled the trigger.

A few months later we took some one-on-one training from an NRA instructor. Again, her shots were very well placed, so good, in fact that the instructor asked her if she'd be interested in joining their competitive shooting group. She confessed to him that she closed her eyes when she pulled the trigger. He was speechless.

She's a much better shot with her eyes closed than I am with my eyes open.

Steve
Brings back memories of when I was trying out for rifle team in high school. The instructor started giving grief for taking too many shots because my target was hit 13 times in a 10 shot round. Until..... he found out that the guy next to me was shooting with his eyes closed and had hit my target 3 times.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:46 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Drothgeb
Brings back memories of when I was trying out for rifle team in high school. The instructor started giving grief for taking too many shots because my target was hit 13 times in a 10 shot round. Until..... he found out that the guy next to me was shooting with his eyes closed and had hit my target 3 times.
Now that’s funny.

Steve

Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Not too long ago I pulled up to a light in my 64 right besides a new corvette with an asian driver in it. I said, 'nice corvette'. He replied 'thanks, your car is nice too......what is it?' I had no response.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:40 AM
sandymac
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was approached by a couple of fellows ( out to save my soul ) - they started out telling me that they were also into cars - Then I was asked if My 65 L79 coupe was a " Super Cobra Jet " - since only a small block I responded That NO it was only a regular Cobra Jet - then one of the fellows almost tripped over a case of empty Beer Cans - at that Point I think they figured I was a lost cause ........
Old 02-06-2018, 05:22 PM
mi58v
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Eight years ago we moved to Oklahoma. Trailered the 58 out on an open trailer. It was a roller at the time. As I pulled in for fuel in Missouri, a man came running up to the car,

all excited and asked where did I get such a beautiful 58. At least he knew the year. I told him it wasn't beautiful yet, that I owned it for a long time and that I was moving "out here". He said, "So you're moving to Missoura (yes that's an A at the end). I told him no and that i was moving to Oklahoma. He told me "Well its nice there too." I figured I either had a friend for life or just met a new stalker. As he walked away, another man came up and started running his hand along the bare fiberglass. When I asked him what he was doing, he answered that this was the closest he would ever come to owning one.

Lastly, a young man in his early twenties (maybe) came up and asked me if the car was an old Thunderbird. I said "no son, it's a 58 Corvette". His father, a really huge man, came up to me and gave me a sideways hug. He asked " Did my boy just ask you if that was an old T-bird?" I answered "Yes he did." Dad's only comment was "Ah Geez." We both laughed as I said, "young and dumb." This gets filed under "Here's your sign!" It definitetly broke up a long drive and made my day.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:25 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,039 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by solidaxel
.... or how about the neighbor that bought the first 83
Hell of a donation to NCM!!!!!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:43 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Not sure with the .22LR, but it's quite a bit. Funny, once you have the hold-over figured out, it's easy to consistently hit IF there is no wind. If the wind kicks up, all bets are off with a little 36-40gr at that distance. I recently read a report of a .45/70 that had a mid-range-trajectory of 186 feet when it was set up for 1000 yards. I have fired my .45/90 with a 470 grain bullet at 1000 yards, and my rear vernier sight is cranked up enough that I can see about 3" of barrel when I look through the rear aperture. I was successful in hitting an old water heater at that range...but not every time!
Sounds like fun! When I was flying helicopters for a living for Uncle Sam in Mineral Wells,Texas back in 1963, I got involved in "varmint hunting" with the locals, but didn't have a suitable "varmint gun". On the advice of the locals, I built one for armadillo hunting, which was the most popular area sport. Used a modified 30-06 '03 Springfield action with an 18" or 19" button-rifled Douglas barrel, 'glass-bedded in a Fajen walnut stock with iron sights. We had no shortage of 30-06 brass (post gun club), and 42 grains of 4227 and a Speer 90-grain "plinker" bullet was good for about 3800-4000 fps. Didn't matter where you hit them - they just disintegrated.

P.S. Guns are fun too - now that my classic cars are gone (can't work on them any more), I've revived another old hobby (handguns) and I'm learning about amateur pistolsmithing, which is a much better match with my current health situation and physical capabilities - I can still shoot and drive to the indoor range, and we both carry anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnZ:
Corvettes by George (02-17-2018), GTOguy (02-07-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:35 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 683 Posts

....and keep voting to keep the right to enjoy!
Old 02-07-2018, 06:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by JohnZ
P.S. Guns are fun too - now that my classic cars are gone (can't work on them any more), I've revived another old hobby (handguns) and I'm learning about amateur pistolsmithing, which is a much better match with my current health situation and physical capabilities - I can still shoot and drive to the indoor range, and we both carry anyway.
I'm slowing down too. Been elk hunting off and on in the Colorado mountains since 2002 with my brother-in-law. I'm talking staying in a tent for 10 days, acclimatizing to 12,000 feet, and, riding mules along 8" wide trails along precipices in the pre-dawn light.

I went last winter and probably won't go again...I was too cold, sore, hungry and the trip was plagued with trouble...equipment problems a mule went lame - the lot. I'm finding out you can't do the things as easily at age 67 that you did at age 50

I've built a couple AR-15s and modified some 1911s and M&Ps recently and getting back into shooting a bit now. The last build is an AR-15 "dissipator" sort of a Vietnam M-16 tribute piece with a 4x scope from that time... It has the "Echo" binary trigger -- as close to the old full auto as you can get for less than $15,000... Takes me back to the Army days of 1972 real quick and pizzes off the liberals at the same time.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-07-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Is this the Corvette Forum, or a joint effort of “Guns and Ammo” combined with “Outdoor Life”?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:55 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Is this the Corvette Forum, or a joint effort of “Guns and Ammo” combined with “Outdoor Life”?
I'm pleased to see there's quite a bit of overlap!
The following 3 users liked this post by ChattanoogaJSB:
Corvettes by George (02-17-2018), GTOguy (02-07-2018), Randy G. (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 10:57 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB

Old 02-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

More like "Random Musings of Old Farts"....

"Past their prime, with too much time"
Old 02-07-2018, 11:03 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB

Definite overlap . . . I don't ever drive my Corvette without carrying.

Steve
Old 02-07-2018, 11:14 AM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Perhaps he meant an 83 6 cylinder vette. I'm guessing he was screwing with you.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Hermn59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 667 Likes on 349 Posts

I love it, except it reminds me of how boring my life really is. Along with Corvette knowledge, I get the bonus of livin’ life lessons!

Get notified of new replies

To Ran Into a "Corvette Expert"

Old 02-07-2018, 11:32 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew
Perhaps he meant an 83 6 cylinder vette. I'm guessing he was screwing with you.
With a metal body.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Guns and Vettes just seem to go together ! American as apple pie. I like guns too and don't mind the stories.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:46 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
Guns and Vettes just seem to go together ! American as apple pie. I like guns too and don't mind the stories.
Interior of a '63 displayed here at a show a couple years ago.

I like guns too, but...

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Ran Into a "Corvette Expert"