C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Valley Auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 03:06 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I looked at the Ebay listing of the car for sale now and there is next to no text about the car. Where are you guys seeing that they state it needs a frame or anything other than exterior pictures in the snow? The car photographed in the snow makes it look great.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
I know they have a reputation, but it looks in this instance they are pretty straight forward about that it will need a new frame and other issues.

Nothing deceitful about swapping wheels and raising the price.

I fully agree. Many may not agree, but people have bought cars for decades, took rare items or items they needed for their own car, and then sold the car. Nothing illegal in that at all. I don't see Valley Corvettes saying this is a bolt-on wheels car and then not selling the wheels.

Originally Posted by provette67
They complain heavily about the seller that they bought the car from. Yet feel that the car is worth $7500 more even without the wheels. How much should they expect to make on the car $15K? Well if the wheels are originals and in decent shape the net profit would exceed that. So not sure why they are complaining about the previous seller.
The seller jays1953vette just flat out lied in his auction.

The frame is solid with no soft spots but does have scale.
Of course, they should have examined it before, but the nature of eBay is such most can't. You don't have enough time to get there before the auction ends to see it.

I had a similar experience with a company about 11 years ago. I bought a 1997 Z28 convertible. When I got there, as agreed, they allowed some time to look it over before finalizing, but they were very high pressure. Looked it over fairly well, drove it, and while there were some things, it seemed fair. As I got ready to leave, a mechanic was filling the radiator. I got out there to find it was nearly empty. Water pouring out as it ran. The reason it was fine on the short drive was there was enough coolant to not seize but not enough to blow out. I hadn't check that because the reservoir had coolant and there was pressure on the top hose, so opening the cap would not have been a good idea.

We voided that transaction under threat of legal action as their description was definitely deception and I got my check back.

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
The frame is one of the worst I have ever seen. The one shot appears to show the side rail split/exploded/expanded due to the build up of something. Can you imagine how the birdcage must be. Maybe this car went under water in the Texas floods...think about the rust patterns on things. Dennis
I had one on a '63 coupe that was worse. It broke apart taking it off the trailer. I fully disclosed that to anyone calling. The agreement was I would deliver on my trailer as I was not going to chance anyone backing out of the sale while unloading from my trailer to the street to load on their trailer. I told them the frame was junk, worthless, not even scrap metal, and would break most likely on unloading.

I found a buyer the same weekend, and it did break unloading. He was very aware before buying.

Originally Posted by Brian Kotula
This is so typical of these crooks. They bought a friend of mine's 66 convertible off him, they took off the original Teak wheel kept the extra set of wheels the repo knock offs (put the original steel wheels and caps on he gave them) and kept the hard top. Then they put it on eBay for 5 grand more than they paid him. Why anyone would buy from them I will never understand.
People have taken good parts off cars and then resold for decades, probably since before you were born. It doesn't make them crooks.

Crooks would be if they told you it is one thing and it turns out not to be. The guy lying about the frame in the first auction was a crook.

People buy there because they advertise and show interesting pictures. Too many are lazy. A dealer has it there and available, so they don't have to hunt ads and go searching. This is why Terry Michaelis did so very well. You want a rare car? He has it. Sure, you pay a premium for that luxury, but that is how life is.

Did your friend advertise his car elsewhere? Did he put it on eBay or whatever? Or did he take the easy way out, drop it off with them, and took their price?

I'm not a fan of Valley, but these are the realities of life. Just because they deal in Corvettes doesn't make them saints, so why would you expect them to be morally superior to any other used car dealer?

Would you trust the dealer of "Honest John's Uzed Kars" on the small dirt lot next to the railroad tracks in the industrial side of town? Then why do you think Valley is somehow a better place to buy? The same is really true for these million dollar showrooms for new Chevys, Toyotas, Nissans, Fords, and all. They are just car dealers, and they are in business to make money, not take care of you and look out for you.

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 02-17-2018 at 03:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Procrastination Racing:
Corvette ED (02-17-2018), USMC 0802 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 03:13 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
I looked at the Ebay listing of the car for sale now and there is next to no text about the car. Where are you guys seeing that they state it needs a frame or anything other than exterior pictures in the snow? The car photographed in the snow makes it look great.
You need to read the description. Lots of pics and text.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=0&cspheader=1
Ed

Last edited by emdoller; 02-17-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:19 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Go to the original post and click on the link. Scroll down below the 128 pics and there is a bunch of bold text. Part of that text says

SO PLEASE VIEW ALL OF THE 120+ PICTURES ABOVE TO SEE THE CONDITION OF THIS '67 CORVETTE AND ITS FRAME! IT WILL NEED A FRAME TO BE A GOOD SOLID DRIVER. It does run and drive good the way it is now but will not pass any inspection with the frame like this, and i would not feel safe driving it daily or on weekends with out addressing the FRAME ISSUES!
They can't say it any more plainly than that. I don't work for them, I have never dealt with them, and I know others have not been happy with them. But in this particular deal I don't see where they are being crooks or anything close to it. If they can make a profit, legally, more power to them.
The following users liked this post:
68hemi (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

What's the problem, $47,500 Buy it Now and do a $50,000 frame off you are only into this car for $97,500. It does have that ultra rare base engine.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:23 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Go to the original post and click on the link. Scroll down below the 128 pics and there is a bunch of bold text. Part of that text says

They can't say it any more plainly than that. I don't work for them, I have never dealt with them, and I know others have not been happy with them. But in this particular deal I don't see where they are being crooks or anything close to it. If they can make a profit, legally, more power to them.
I agree. Nothing that indicates the current sellers are crooks... idiots for not inspecting the car... perhaps.

Ed
Old 02-17-2018, 03:41 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Thanks, I did not realize there was a sidebar that you could slide down for more pictures and text--DUH!

I don't really see any problem with anything the dealer is doing here. The don't really seem to be crying about their purchase but rather warning the public about a lying seller. Their ad is well written and honest with plenty of pictures to give people as good of a chance to evaluate what they are selling as you can expect with computer pictures.

Last edited by 68hemi; 02-17-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:27 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

I guess Jays really lit a fire under their ***! VA could list ten cars for sale on Ebay and not have that many photos for all of them combined
Old 02-17-2018, 05:35 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by champs65
I guess Jays really lit a fire under their ***! VA could list ten cars for sale on Ebay and not have that many photos for all of them combined
Jays can prolly list ten cars for sale that have no bodies
Old 02-17-2018, 05:42 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Indeed
Old 02-17-2018, 06:28 PM
EnfieldJoe
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

What uninformed buyer would spend that much money on that rust bucket? VA sure has alot of nerve with that lofty asking price!!
Old 02-17-2018, 07:04 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,714 Likes on 2,999 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

How does that make them crooks? Once they buy the car, they are free to remove, replace, swap parts any way they want. And they are free to ask any amount they want when they sell it.

They say flat out it needs a new frame. If they lie or make untrue statements, that's fraud and they could be called crooks. I have seen many previous reports claiming they DID do such things so I'm not saying they are choirboys. But in this case I just don't see where all the anger is justified.
In this case, they clearly posted plenty of pics showing the frame & door hinge rust areas, nothing dishonest here
Old 02-17-2018, 07:51 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
In this case, they clearly posted plenty of pics showing the frame & door hinge rust areas, nothing dishonest here
True, nothing dishonest or criminal per se, but very ironic and disingenuous of them to whine about having been defrauded by the prior seller - and then turn around and ask for more money than the price at which they claim to have been mislead. That and having removed items of value.

Seems like they want it both ways...... If they claim to have been misled, it takes a lot of nerve to ask even more than the price at which they feel they over paid.

I understand that is free enterprise, capitalism, and buyer beware - but that doesnt make it right or ethical by my standards.
The following users liked this post:
426 Hemi (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I see your point and don't disagree. I suppose there is a difference between "it's not worth it" and "it's not what was described". The car apparently was not what was described to them (and they did not/could not check it in person) so that would be reason to claim rip-off. Maybe they were looking for a wider profit margin and would have marked it up even more if it had been what they thought.

That car has had some rough use - the darn parking brake cover is even busted! I carried passengers on mine (and even....well...did something else on mine...) and it never broke.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:41 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

If that is VA's Chevrolet shop truck in the background of one of the first pictures, it fairly well summarizes the quality of their operation. Is VA a subsidiary of BHCC?
Old 02-18-2018, 08:06 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Someone needs to explain to me how you break out a chunk of fiberglass from the hood surround directly behind the nose emblem. I'm thinking there is a 'story' there....
Old 02-18-2018, 08:29 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Someone needs to explain to me how you break out a chunk of fiberglass from the hood surround directly behind the nose emblem. I'm thinking there is a 'story' there....
Take the hood off, remove the engine, drag it across the nose, put the hood back on, don't repair damage.

Get notified of new replies

To Valley Auto

Old 02-18-2018, 08:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Take the hood off, remove the engine, drag it across the nose, put the hood back on, don't repair damage.
Ha! That would certainly do it. And fit in with the rest of this car's "patina"
Old 02-18-2018, 08:56 AM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Maybe Tom from Mukwonago one of our long time forum members would like to chime in. He must know some of the details as he is listed and the pickup contact. Also note the title must have been lost with unknown ownership as the title was secured with a bond.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Ha! That would certainly do it. And fit in with the rest of this car's "patina"
the car in the question looks like it was someones daily driver for years and was just anther car as they did what they had to do to keep it on the road and thats it. its shame but a northern car from the rust belt what do you expect

Quick Reply: Valley Auto