C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Front End Bushing Play

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:03 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Front End Bushing Play

I’ve got the front end apart on my 61 and everything actually looks pretty good. Not much sign wear on the bushings with just the slightest amount of play. At this point I’m thinking clean all of it with new seals and grease. But I am wondering how much play is too much for the bushings?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:39 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Any amount is too much, .005" play at a lower inner bushing is 1/16" at the spindle support. .005" at both lower inners is 1/8" total at the spindle support.

The bushing should thread on with no observable play. Obviously there needs to be some clearance for them to thread on, but they shouldn't thread on "loose" or with any wobble.

Doug
Old 02-21-2018, 11:01 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Any amount is too much, .005" play at a lower inner bushing is 1/16" at the spindle support. .005" at both lower inners is 1/8" total at the spindle support.

The bushing should thread on with no observable play. Obviously there needs to be some clearance for them to thread on, but they shouldn't thread on "loose" or with any wobble.

Doug
All true and I ill add that these old front ends NEED to have grease in them at all times or the wear quickly. They call for being greased about every 2000 miles as the grease "goes away."
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

I’ll get everything clean and check them again. As I was disassembling, everything was well greased and there wasn’t any detectable play in the upper or lower A arms.

I do plan on rebuilding the kingpins. But if one A arm bushing needs replacing, they all do.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
All true and I ill add that these old front ends NEED to have grease in them at all times or the wear quickly. They call for being greased about every 2000 miles as the grease "goes away."
According to my 62 Owner's Manual (page 26),:

Front Suspension Steering Linkage and Universal Joint - The application of chassis lubricant is recommended every 1000 miles at the fittings in the lubrication diagram on page 31...

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 02-22-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:50 AM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman
According to my 62 Owner's Manual (page 26),:

Front Suspension Steering Linkage and Universal Joint - The application of chassis lubricant is recommended every 1000 miles at the fittings in the lubrication diagram on page 31...

Plasticman
That fact always worries me when we are on long trips. We drove 25K miles last summer and I would have needed to find a lube shop every day or two. I carry a small grease gun and tried to pull up on a curb and shoot the zerts that I could reach, in between oil changes. That's a messy job and I stretched the recommendations quit a bit. Today's grease may stay put better than it did 50+ years ago.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by GEM '62
That fact always worries me when we are on long trips. We drove 25K miles last summer and I would have needed to find a lube shop every day or two. I carry a small grease gun and tried to pull up on a curb and shoot the zerts that I could reach, in between oil changes. That's a messy job and I stretched the recommendations quit a bit. Today's grease may stay put better than it did 50+ years ago.
Obviously you were doing many "highway" miles, which is not as taxing as "city" miles on the front suspension (although the U-joints probably would be taxed more, but are relatively easier to change), so I can understand stretching the interval.

Still, I would of been prone to go into the local Jiffy Lubes (or similar) quite often. Since most of the pivot points are difficult to change, it would be worth erring on the side of caution...

And I always use a synthetic EP grease with moly......The moly will give an additional barrier to metal to metal contact.

Am sure you had a great trip!

Plasticman
Old 02-22-2018, 01:41 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Obviously you were doing many "highway" miles, which is not as taxing as "city" miles on the front suspension (although the U-joints probably would be taxed more, but are relatively easier to change), so I can understand stretching the interval.

Still, I would of been prone to go into the local Jiffy Lubes (or similar) quite often. Since most of the pivot points are difficult to change, it would be worth erring on the side of caution...

And I always use a synthetic EP grease with moly......The moly will give an additional barrier to metal to metal contact.

Am sure you had a great trip!

Plasticman
I have been thinking of this as well. I am going to drive m 57 from Arizona to Illinois, Illinois to California, up the California coast highway and then back to Arizona in June/July. I plan to stop by a lube shop every 2000 miles for a grease job.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:53 PM
Drothgeb
Racer

Mine only gets driven a couple of thousand miles a year. So I lube it with it’s yearly oil change. I also use the synthetic grease.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:01 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I am sure that moly, synthetic EP grease lasts a lot longer than the clay thickened oil (grease) they used in the old days.

Doug
Old 02-22-2018, 03:50 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I am sure that moly, synthetic EP grease lasts a lot longer than the clay thickened oil (grease) they used in the old days.

Doug
This, and as stated, with highway use on the newer, smoother roads, I wouldn't worry about it on a long trip. I'd grease it before the trip, and when I got back, even if it were 5,000 miles, provided I was on smooth blacktop all of the time.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:37 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

I have been thinking of this as well. I am going to drive m 57 from Arizona to Illinois, Illinois to California, up the California coast highway and then back to Arizona in June/July. I plan to stop by a lube shop every 2000 miles for a grease job.
Make sure to go to a shop that lets you go under the car to point out all the zerts. None of these young guys have a clue where many lube points are.
I went to one Jiffy Lube and went under the car with the guy and pointed out the lube point, as you know there are a couple you almost have to feel for. When he shot the tie rod ends, all the grease squirted out around the gun fitting and none went in. He insisted that the grease was going into the fitting. I checked, and found that the gun fitting would just fall off the zert. They had 4 guns and this was the only one that even functioned so I checked all of them and found one with a good fitting and changed it out for him. Everything then worked fine but I finished the job myself. He told me that he never knew how a grease gun was really supposed to work. God knows how many lube jobs the did without getting a single squirt of grease into a joint.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:41 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Originally Posted by GEM '62
Make sure to go to a shop that lets you go under the car to point out all the zerts. None of these young guys have a clue where many lube points are.
I went to one Jiffy Lube and went under the car with the guy and pointed out the lube point, as you know there are a couple you almost have to feel for. When he shot the tie rod ends, all the grease squirted out around the gun fitting and none went in. He insisted that the grease was going into the fitting. I checked, and found that the gun fitting would just fall off the zert. They had 4 guns and this was the only one that even functioned so I checked all of them and found one with a good fitting and changed it out for him. Everything then worked fine but I finished the job myself. He told me that he never knew how a grease gun was really supposed to work. God knows how many lube jobs the did without getting a single squirt of grease into a joint.
Yeah, I was planning on taking the info with where all of the grease zerks are for a 1957. Does anyone have that info here?
Old 02-22-2018, 05:22 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Yeah, I was planning on taking the info with where all of the grease zerks are for a 1957. Does anyone have that info here?
Just tell him to count until he gets to 22, which includes the drag link. 10 per side if you don't do the drag link.

Doug
The following users liked this post:
68hemi (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

I always like to go under the car when the grease it, it's a good time to do a quick inspection of everything. I have only encountered one shop that wouldn't let me go under.

Get notified of new replies

To Front End Bushing Play

Quick Reply: [C1] Front End Bushing Play