C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

always an ***hole

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Given that my son is a big time triathlon athlete who regularly bikes 100 miles I do appreciate you not feeling the need to push them off the road or worse yet hit and kill one. I worry about him riding.....
Old 04-23-2018, 08:12 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
I've accidentally seen about four minutes of that movie, always the same part where the truck is riding Weaver's ***. I still have no idea why the trucker is pissed off, or how Weaver's character eventually resolved the issue.
I think the truck driver got mad because Weaver was stuck behind the truck and later passed him.

4 minute summary:

Last edited by 426 Hemi; 04-23-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:22 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I just retired as well but I'm actually driving faster but not because of my employment status, I picked up a nice MINI S and having a ball with it. Never spent so much time in triple digits ever before!

And before someone gets their panties in a wad, I don't drive like that in traffic.

Last edited by 65air_coupe; 04-24-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:43 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You're damn lucky he didn't rearrange the back end of your classic. He's got heavy artillery compared to your vette. And he'd just say you brake checked which you did. He probably has a dash cam in his rig showing you slowing down for no reason..... You'd be screwed. And don't forget, most truckers are carrying! Don't be so silly out there.

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 04-23-2018 at 08:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
65 fi (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:43 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Driving in general whether in your Corvette or daily driver, heck even as a pedestrian has become a dangerous adventure. Just way to many drivers not paying attention, disobeying traffic signals, and in to darn much of a hurry. You have to have eyes all over your head, never loose concentration on what's going on around you, and never have a lapse in judgement. It's a heck task to be able to go for a ride for enjoyment. It's probably only going to get worse as vehicles become more autonomous. Drivers will pay even less attention and an accident will be the fault of the vehicle. No accountability for their own actions.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
You're damn lucky he didn't rearrange the back end of your classic. He's got heavy artillery compared to your vette. And he'd just say you brake checked which you did. He probably has a dash cam in his rig showing you slowing down for no reason..... You'd be screwed. And don't forget, most truckers are carrying! Don't be so silly out there.

Nonsense.

It wouldn’t matter one bit what you did if somebody slams into your rear. It’s on them to maintain their following distance and rationality. You can slow down or brake check all you want. It doesn’t justify them running into you.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:24 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

So the consensus seems to be this. Whenever another driver is acting aggressive (or plain stupid and dangerous), the rest of us should meekly pull aside so that we don't provoke getting shot.
Should the offended also slump down in the seat and avoid all eye contact? Maybe get off of that road and take the next right turn, regardless of where it leads? Turn around and go home? Call Mommy?
Old 04-23-2018, 10:36 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tired
So the consensus seems to be this. Whenever another driver is acting aggressive (or plain stupid and dangerous), the rest of us should meekly pull aside so that we don't provoke getting shot.
Should the offended also slump down in the seat and avoid all eye contact? Maybe get off of that road and take the next right turn, regardless of where it leads? Turn around and go home? Call Mommy?
No not at all. Pull out an AK47 a fill the SOB full of holes but it's illegal and now there's cameras all over place and you get arrested and go to jail. That's just not worth it IMCO.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:49 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

That's not what I'm advocating at all, so why do you suggest that I go to that extreme? I say MYOB, drive sensibly and let the a-hole behind you go by when he gets his chance.

Never mind answering, I just read where you're from. Sucks for you.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:02 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Ornery
Maybe you shouldn't have been an ***hole and slowed down after you passed the bicycles? I think you were just asking for it, especially since you backed up the traffic so bad by driving along at 25 mph?
Did you read the post? Mountainous terrain.........blind curves ahead?. The blind curves were pretty sharp in this area, max speed around 35 mph to negotiate the curve. . . The road wasn't wide enough to safely pass the bicyclists without crossing into the next lane. Blind curve ahead. . What would you have done?. A car coming around the blind curve the other way could have precipitated an accident if I had crossed over into the opposite lane. Maybe some bicyclists would have been taken out.

I slowed down to 25 mph upon catching up to the bicyclists to pace them until it was safe to pass, not to pizz off traffic behind me. That's how fast the bicyclists were going. Traffic eventually caught up. Up to that time the '64 was taking in the curves, well ahead of following traffic. Once clear of the bicyclists, there was no suddenly slowing down to 5 mph. It was done to allow the big freakin truck to pass when the road straightened out. .. Didn't do it.

​​​​​

Last edited by mrg; 04-24-2018 at 01:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:55 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The issue is that you may get some self-satisfaction flipping off one driver who is being a jerk.....but there is always a new one coming along a few car lengths back. Playing whack-a-mole with these cretins takes more of a toll on you than it does them. They don't think about their inconsiderate actions even 10 minutes after performing them...

What SHOULD concern you is that you have almost no safety features in your car if some aggressive clown tags you in the rear or elsewhere. The thin gas tank is inches behind the rear bumper, no shoulder belts, air bags, crush zones, etc. You are simply out-classed safety-wise so - yeah, discretion is the better part of valor.

There are some people whose personality changes drastically behind the wheel and I wouldn't trust them to not become irrationally violent if pushed: Its not a new phenomenon.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-24-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:07 AM
Jan25
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The issue is that you may get some self-satisfaction flipping off one driver who is being a jerk.....but there is always a new one coming along a few car lengths back. Playing whack-a-mole with these cretins takes more of a toll on you than it does them. They don't think about their inconsiderate actions even 10 minutes after performing them...

What SHOULD concern you is that you have almost no safety features in your car if some aggressive clown tags you in the rear or elsewhere. The thin gas tank is inches behind the rear bumper, no shoulder belts, air bags, crush zones, etc. You are simply out-classed safety-wise so - yeah, discretion is the better part of valor.

Even if there is no harm done to you and let's say the guy in his truck stops, assumes responsibility and his insurance pays for the repairs (big "ifs"), having your car damaged to somehow try to prove a point is not worth it.

I personally try to resist the urge to do things on the road (gestures, honk, flash the high beams), either in my Corvette or my daily driver, unless there is an actual purpose, like making the other driver aware of my presence or of a danger. If it's just after the fact to voice discontent, punish or point out that in my view they don't drive by the rules, I try not to bother (although it's hard at times!). I'm not on the road to teach others or enforce the law.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:22 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

... or how Weaver's character eventually resolved the issue.

Though it has been a long while since I have seen this film but I believe that the film ends with Dennis Weaver's character waking up in bed with Suzanne Pleshette and then politely requests that she wear sweaters more often.

Ray
Old 04-24-2018, 12:35 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

A few months ago a friend of my wife was stuck in Boston traffic and talking on her phone, which pisses me off also, and the guy behind her got so enraged that he pulled out a baseball bat and smashed her windshield. She was so terrified and called 911. He was obviously arrested because he couldn't go anywhere but the moral of the story is, you have to be careful who you **** off today because people are crazy. She was lucky he only used the baseball bat on her windshield and not her head.

Last edited by biggd; 04-24-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I've accidentally seen about four minutes of that movie, always the same part where the truck is riding Weaver's ***. I still have no idea why the trucker is pissed off, or how Weaver's character eventually resolved the issue.
Don't worry......, I've seen that movie and if you've seen four minutes of it you've basically seen the whole thing... AND it's probably not the same part you've seen but just appears that way.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Nonsense.

It wouldn’t matter one bit what you did if somebody slams into your rear. It’s on them to maintain their following distance and rationality. You can slow down or brake check all you want. It doesn’t justify them running into you.
Well Cranky.....we will agree to disagree. I like my Vette's butt the way it is and will do anything to avoid some idiot running into it. But then again my car is a no hit body. You go ahead and brake check all you want.

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 04-24-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:54 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeM
After you did that, what did you do...................................... ?
like Johnny Cash. . . ..

I got all choked up
threw down my gun (didn't have one)
I come away with a different point of view

Get notified of new replies

To always an ***hole

Old 04-24-2018, 04:36 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Better to let those clowns go their own way and just laugh about it... You can get some rounds pumped into you or your car around Orlando by enraged drivers and it doesn't even have to be nighttime anymore...

I used to be a bit of a jerk in traffic until I retired and slowed W-A-Y down....now I just smirk and think how those other folks are rushing hither and yon, to work, store, meetings, job sites, picking up kids and I have no particular place to be and no fixed time to get there!.

Delightful!
Understood. .. There's enough fruits and nuts in Kalifornia to insure a good number of them could be packing, most likely illegally, of course. Unless one lives in one of the more rural counties obtaining a CCW permit is a non starter in the metro areas.

Not being a young man anymore plays out its own roll . .. . Time to slow down........yes it is. .. What a different traffic world we live in now. Cars zipping and zooming around. In city traffic it's almost comical entertainment. Hurry up and wait..........red light 500 feet ahead!
John
Old 04-24-2018, 04:54 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Hey John,

I definitely can understand your anger, especially when the guy is in your rear.

But man.....you gotta be careful out on the road, even more so in this great (not so), State of California.

There's just too many nuts out there who's more than willing to ram the back of your car, or worse yet, shoot at you.

Need to just move along.

And believe me, I've done similar, or worse things before.

I'm kind of like Fankie, since I retired, I have calmed down considerably and try to laugh at the nut cases that are out there.

Give me a note and take a drive up to Apple Hill. I'd love to see your Vette!

Pat
Agreed. .. I try to carry myself like that mild mannered reporter working for the Daily Planet.

It's been a while since passing through Apple Hill. .. Maybe can hook up the vettes one of these days!
John
ptjsk (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Well Cranky.....we will agree to disagree. I like my Vette's butt the way it is and will do anything to avoid some idiot running into it. But then again my car is a no hit body. You go ahead and brake check all you want.

My response was to the implication that if somebody ran into another person that somehow if that party had video of the person in front brake-checking or purposely slowing done that it might be a defense for the accident.

I don't agree.

I do agree that purposely antagonizing other drivers while driving a vintage car (or worse -- a motorcycle) is not conducive to good health...
Kerrmudgeon (04-24-2018)

Quick Reply: always an ***hole