C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Steering Coumn Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Jam421
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Steering Coumn Squeal

I had a local shop do state inspection + get me summer ready on what I thought might include a turn signal light replacement. In the end it was the Turn Signal Assembly inside the steering column. Good news is all my signals work great & are much brighter.
Bad news is halfway through a turn in either direction it's a metal to metal sounding squeal. It's due back in the shop next week. Seeking advice to share with my local shop who already feels he'll need to take it all apart again. Oh well. Test drive next time bud..
I'm assuming the lock down nut should be backed off 1/2 turn or so?

Last edited by Jam421; 05-11-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:04 PM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

probably need to put some white grease on the horn contact button on the switch and the horn contact ring which slides on the button when turning the wheel.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:04 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

You should not back off the nut that holds the steering hub on. They just need to look and see where it's rubbing and fix that
Old 05-11-2018, 07:47 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Mine has a plastic sounding squeal when turning and doesn't do it when the car is stone cold.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:40 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
You should not back off the nut that holds the steering hub on. They just need to look and see where it's rubbing and fix that
I agree. That top nut should be torqued (25 ft lbs IIRC) and left alone or you'll have a Three Stooges moment someday.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

One of the more aggravating early problems on my driver '65 was an annoying squeal every time I turned the steering wheel.

When I pulled and rebuilt the column, both top and bottom bearings were bone dry and shot.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
One of the more aggravating early problems on my driver '65 was an annoying squeal every time I turned the steering wheel.

When I pulled and rebuilt the column, both top and bottom bearings were bone dry and shot.

I had the lower bearing on a 1964 be so bad that it actually ate into the shaft and it had to be replaced.

This is where I would be looking. But I also would not adhere to the information above. I would remove the hub so I can see what is going on.

But I do this stuff for a living and pulling the hub is a no-brainer for me and often times I am a glutton for punishment.

I also have checked to make sure the shaft clamp and spring that are on the firewall side of the steering column are doing their job and adjusted correctly and the 'in and out' play of the steering wheel is minimal of almost non existent.

DUB
Old 05-13-2018, 06:12 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

I had the lower bearing on a 1964 be so bad that it actually ate into the shaft and it had to be replaced.

This is where I would be looking. But I also would not adhere to the information above. I would remove the hub so I can see what is going on.

But I do this stuff for a living and pulling the hub is a no-brainer for me and often times I am a glutton for punishment.

I also have checked to make sure the shaft clamp and spring that are on the firewall side of the steering column are doing their job and adjusted correctly and the 'in and out' play of the steering wheel is minimal of almost non existent.

DUB
Since you brought it up, my steering shaft was so grooved from the lower bearing failure that I, too, had to replace my shaft. My old shaft is an artifact evidencing 50 year old cars need stuff replaced, even if you think it's a non-wearing part.

My entire lower bearing and spring/clamp tensioner system came out/off in crumbs.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:27 PM
hugh9222
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had to replace my steering shaft because someone welded the flex joint to the steering shaft. Once out I was surprised that see that the screw that was holding the turning switch in place was too long and I had ground a significant grove in the shaft, but I did not have any noise coming from it. Your switch what messed with and a too long of screw might be your problem.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Jam421
Racer

Thanks Fellas....
Car is scheduled to go back end of this week to see why it's suddenly squealing. This was never an issue before the turn signal assembly replacement. Meanwhile....I'm not driving it for fear of creating any abnormal wear.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Jam421
Racer

Uugh...I brought the C2 back for the loud squealing steering shaft after they installed a turn signal assembly. My "assumption" was take apart, put back together proper tolerances no charge. WRONG. He told me the steering shaft is not true(bent) because folks pull on it over 50yrs or lean hard as they get in/out + the collar is out of round. Therefore, it doesn't go back together "the same" each time so price to me $100! The loud squeal is gone BUT it still squeaks each time I get thru more than 1/2 turn. C'mon Man!
I can see where the collar between wheel & column is not = distance all around but THEN I asked:
"Did you re-torque the lock down at 25#?" He says: "We didn't need a Tq wrench as we know roughly what is 25#'s".

BIGGEST REGRETS! I brought it to this particular shop for annual inspection knowing the RFturn signal didn't blink & RR was dim. Had I known this would've involved disassembly of steering column the car would've gone to the custom shop that built a dozen C1/C2 restos & modified my C2 with Hurst 5 speed drive line & BP 383 stroker. There I know it would've been done right with no excuses. Based on the advice here on the forum I believe it's best for me to make that trip & pay for this steering column to be inspected for safety. Uugh!

Last edited by Jam421; 05-25-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:06 PM
64SilverbluePhx
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 105 Posts

Sounds like your two best options are take it to the custom shop...or do it yourself. All the info is here in the forum. I did mine, (due to right brake light going out) following posts w instructions and advice here. Now it is almost like having power steering. And it surprised me by how quiet it is. No squeaks or rattles. Just very easy steering. I have pics of what I found inside...and replaced all of the parts except my steering wheel and hub. It wasn't hard to do as it is just screws, nuts and bolts. I saved some $ by doing it myself and have had the experience of taking it apart 3 times LOL to get it just the way I wanted it. The properly painted steering column, turn signal housing and steering wheel hub add beauty to the cockpit too.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Did you put a new steering column shaft in???

DUB
Old 05-25-2018, 05:27 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Many do not use a torque wrench for a lot of things on here....I got made a bit of fun of when a picture appeared of me using one. So I'll say the shop prob did the nut by feel and that may well be OK. As to the bent steering shaft - I'm skeptical on that one....it would take on hell of a lot of force to bend that solid steel shaft. In my front end crash I pushed on the steering wheel hard enough to bend its steel spokes and nothing happened to the shaft....

As stated, you can take it to the custom shop (its prob an hour job at most as I'm betting its something put together improperly) or get out your tools and the shop documentation and strap it on yourself.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-25-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:10 PM
64SilverbluePhx
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 105 Posts

DUB, Yes a new shaft and shaft jacket, couplers, rag joint etc.. The old shaft had gouges carved in it! And the turn signal wires were bare in many areas...the prongs on the column jacket had been hacked off at some time in the past, causing the turn signal housing to rotate...alot!

Frankie - I did use a torque wrench. :-) Although I think my Craftsman torque wrench from (going out of business) Sears may not be working right...so I erred on the side of caution. 25 lbs was the lowest setting. And it didn't give me the handle feel when it should have clicked like my long handled one does at 120 lbs when torquing wheel nuts.

Last edited by 64SilverbluePhx; 05-25-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:19 AM
DUB
Race Director

Not that what I think matters here. I would pull the column out of the car and set it up in a jig I have and work on it at my workbench so I can spin the steering wheel and check it out.

KNOWING that the spring and clamp that are used on this column on the firewall side to set the GAP between the hub and column jacket may be loose or too tight or who knows what.

Also making sure the column is set at the correct angle in relation to the rag joint can be a possible theory. But I doubt that the angel is off that much especially with a new shaft and lower bearing in it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Coumn Squeal

Quick Reply: Steering Coumn Squeal