C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

toe-in, just to be sure..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:40 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by MikeM
Where you are reading this "spec" may have everything to do with the confusion. So where did you get it? !/32" toe in from center line on each front wheel is correct for a mid year Corvette with radial tires. Add these two numbers for total toe.

Like I said, forget the term total toe

If the front wheels are straight/parallel with the car center line, you have 0 toe. Period!

If you have one tire toed in a 1/32" and the other straight/parallel with the car, you have 1/32" total toe or 1/32" toe on one wheel. Theoretically, in a perfect world, this will throw your steering wheel clear vision off center.

If you have both the left and right wheels toed in 1/32" each from the car center line, you now have a total toe in of 1/16".

In all cases, whatever toe in you have at the front of the wheels should be equally matched as toe outon the back side of wheel unless something is bent. One dimension should cancel the other in relation to car center line.

You are way overthinking something that is very simple.
FINALLY, we agree on something (except for forgetting total toe)

Bill
Old 05-15-2018, 09:58 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Where you are reading this "spec" may have everything to do with the confusion. So where did you get it? !/32" toe in from center line on each front wheel is correct for a mid year Corvette with radial tires. Add these two numbers for total toe.

If the front wheels are straight/parallel with the car center line, you have 0 toe. Period!

If you have one tire toed in a 1/32" and the other straight/parallel with the car, you have 1/32" total toe or 1/32" toe on one wheel. Theoretically, in a perfect world, this will throw your steering wheel clear vision off center.

If you have both the left and right wheels toed in 1/32" each from the car center line, you now have a total toe in of 1/16".

In all cases, whatever toe in you have at the front of the wheels should be equally matched as toe outon the back side of wheel unless something is bent. One dimension should cancel the other in relation to car center line.

You are way overthinking something that is very simple.
I am not overthinking , and I do agree it's very very simple math indeed. The 1/32" is just an example. All over this forum there are threads about how much toe-in people use/suggest like 1/32", they hardly ever specify what their definition is, so how can I know? Which is the reason of existence of this thread.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:05 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I am not overthinking , and I do agree it's very very simple math indeed. The 1/32" is just an example. All over this forum there are threads about how much toe-in people use/suggest like 1/32", they hardly ever specify what their definition is, so how can I know? Which is the reason of existence of this thread.
I thought I just explained it to you.

I think you have radial tires. Put 1/32" on ea front tire and you're done. About three times that much if you use bias ply.

I'm done.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-15-2018 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
alexandervdr (05-17-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:07 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wmf62
FINALLY, we agree on something (except for forgetting total toe)

Bill

If you will look at my post after I edited and after you copied this, you will see I deleted that passage.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:37 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

I thought I just explained it to you.

I think you have radial tires. Put 1/32" on ea front tire and you're done. About three times that much if you use bias ply.

I'm done.
Appreciate all the effort you're putting in clearing up my mind. You could have made your life easier by answering yes/no to my post #33 where I put in a drawing with what I believed you ment to explain to my stupid brain Finally, given that some replies use different definition from yours, it's hard for me (and anyone else) to find out who is right and who is wrong.

The background of the thread is that I do have a 2 wheel alignement tool from Tenhulzen Automotive. www.wheelalignmenttools.com/product/toe-plates/. It uses 2 tape measures, going wheel to wheel, one in the frontside , one in the backside of the tire. That is what I can measure. So I simply needed to know how that measurement relates to a toe spec as in table below taken from http://www.tech.corvettecentral.com/...ignment-specs/ (they say it is ....'total Toe'...sorry!)
Attached Images  

Last edited by alexandervdr; 05-15-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:35 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Mike is right. I know this because I have and still do align cars. Started with a John Bean unit, moved to Hunter A-111, then the c-111 and now it's the Hunter Hawkeye. Been doing 4 wheel alignments since 1983. But what do I know. And what does Mike know. You want to align a car right, get a piece of string and get on the internet! Woo-Hoooooo!!!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Mike is right. I know this because I have and still do align cars. Started with a John Bean unit, moved to Hunter A-111, then the c-111 and now it's the Hunter Hawkeye. Been doing 4 wheel alignments since 1983. But what do I know. And what does Mike know. You want to align a car right, get a piece of string and get on the internet! Woo-Hoooooo!!!
Sure, and have this guy help you do it...
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2018, 11:52 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Total Toe-in is A-C, but from a practical standpoint, it's usually measured between the centers of the tread, and it's important to have total rear toe equally divided between both wheels for stable handling. Front toe will automatically "center" to be equal on both sides driving down the road, but if the steering wheel is cocked at an angle the tie rods must be tweaked to center the steering wheel, while maintaining total toe to the original dimension.

Modern alignment equipment uses lasers to determine true vehicle center line and measures toe per wheel, but they often measure toe as an angle, which can be converted to a linear measurement by the following formula for PER WHEEL toe.

toe (per wheel) = angle (in radians) X tire radius.

360 deg. = 2Pi radians is the angle conversion formula.

Total toe is the sum of left and right.

Radial tires need less toe-in than bias plies because radials have more self-aligning torque. As a general rule, toe per wheel should be about 1/32", which is 1/16" TOTAL. For bias ply tires use the shop manual values.

Different side to side toe at the rear will show up on the alignment report as a thrust angle. You want the thrust angle to be as close to zero as possible, but 0.1 or 0.2 deg. is probably okay for normal road driving.

In the diagram, if A-C is 1/16" and the distance to the front face of the tread to vehicle centerline is the same, then the toe is equally divided between both wheels at 1/32" per wheel, and the thrust angle should be zero.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 05-15-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:12 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

I do my own alignment in my garage using levels, string, bob weights, tape measure and 2 long straight sticks.

Setting Toe-In

First, I level the car using rubber mat as needed under each tire because the floor is not perfectly level.
Next, I tie the 2 long, straight pieces of stock onto both front wheels, about 6" off the floor and set the steering wheel centerline such that the wheel is dead straight with both straight sticks oriented the same way on both sides of the car.
Then drop a plumb bob from fattest tire section both front and rear section of both tires and mark the floor.
Finally, I measure distance across front track and rear track of both tires. Subtract and adjust for 1/16 - 1/8" toe in. I convert these measurements to toe angle on each side using trig.

This is exactly what your machine is having you do. That is why they give you a generic number for toe, and the only way to get an OEM spec, is to convert your measurements using trigonometry: ie: sin/cos/tan. Toe ANGLE doesn't lie, and that's the only way you can get an accurate adjustment using your handy tool, or my much more cumbersome (but very effective) method.

Without an explanation of what any particular toe spec refers to (A-C; B-C, [A-C]/2; [B-C]/2) then you're flying blind. The only true measure, without an explanation of a toe spec, is toe angle.

I set camber is a similarly cumbersome fashion using levels on each tire. I effectively eliminate all guesswork by setting for ZERO bubble (zero degrees camber).

Your tool is a very handy one and if you refer to the video on the link page, go to 0:58 of the video and the narrator tells you exactly what they mean for toe-in setting: the difference between the two tape measures............which is A-C in your first diagram. Convert that to toe angle using the formula/chart supplied with the tool to get toe-in ANGLE. The toe angle means: FOR EACH WHEEL, INDEPENDENTLY.

Nice tool, but according to the video, the measurements are taken at arbitrary points fore-aft (unless the video doesn't show entire procedure). I'm curious just what those 2 slots with the movable buttons are in both of the measuring stands.

What I CAN tell you about my procedure...............which is very time consuming...............is that the steering wheel is dead straight, the car tracks straight and does not wander if I let go the wheel on a flat, level road, will drift very slightly down a crowned road as it's supposed to, shows ZERO tire wear after 20,000 miles on radial tires and best of all, handles like a sonofabitch with neutral handling and zero tire squeal around turns.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:24 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Total Toe-in is A-C, but from a practical standpoint, it's usually measured between the centers of the tread, and it's important to have total rear toe equally divided between both wheels for stable handling. Front toe will automatically "center" to be equal on both sides driving down the road, but if the steering wheel is cocked at an angle the tie rods must be tweaked to center the steering wheel, while maintaining total toe to the original dimension.

Modern alignment equipment uses lasers to determine true vehicle center line and measures toe per wheel, but they often measure toe as an angle, which can be converted to a linear measurement by the following formula for PER WHEEL toe.

toe (per wheel) = angle (in radians) X tire radius.

360 deg. = 2Pi radians is the angle conversion formula.

Total toe is the sum of left and right.

Radial tires need less toe-in than bias plies because radials have more self-aligning torque. As a general rule, toe per wheel should be about 1/32", which is 1/16" TOTAL. For bias ply tires use the shop manual values.

Different side to side toe at the rear will show up on the alignment report as a thrust angle. You want the thrust angle to be as close to zero as possible, but 0.1 or 0.2 deg. is probably okay for normal road driving.

In the diagram, if A-C is 1/16" and the distance to the front face of the tread to vehicle centerline is the same, then the toe is equally divided between both wheels at 1/32" per wheel, and the thrust angle should be zero.

Duke
Thanks Duke, makes sense. My trust angle is a tad high (.25°, measured with laser to front spindles), but as you understand I am still setting things up. Toe is now spot on 0°. I first want to correct the thrust angle , then dial in the desired toe-in (1/8" total is what I read)
Old 05-15-2018, 12:32 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

I'm not sure I understand your post. If the thrust angle is a whooping quarter-degree, then you have significantly different per wheel toe at the rear.

Then you said " Toe is now spot on 0°". Which corners?

If you have an alignment report, post it.

If your own measurements, post them and how you made them.

Duke
Old 05-15-2018, 12:33 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
I do my own alignment in my garage using levels, string, bob weights, tape measure and 2 long straight sticks.

Setting Toe-In

First, I level the car using rubber mat as needed under each tire because the floor is not perfectly level.
Next, I tie the 2 long, straight pieces of stock onto both front wheels, about 6" off the floor and set the steering wheel centerline such that the wheel is dead straight with both straight sticks oriented the same way on both sides of the car.
Then drop a plumb bob from fattest tire section both front and rear section of both tires and mark the floor.
Finally, I measure distance across front track and rear track of both tires. Subtract and adjust for 1/16 - 1/8" toe in. I convert these measurements to toe angle on each side using trig.

This is exactly what your machine is having you do. That is why they give you a generic number for toe, and the only way to get an OEM spec, is to convert your measurements using trigonometry: ie: sin/cos/tan. Toe ANGLE doesn't lie, and that's the only way you can get an accurate adjustment using your handy tool, or my much more cumbersome (but very effective) method.

Without an explanation of what any particular toe spec refers to (A-C; B-C, [A-C]/2; [B-C]/2) then you're flying blind. The only true measure, without an explanation of a toe spec, is toe angle.

I set camber is a similarly cumbersome fashion using levels on each tire. I effectively eliminate all guesswork by setting for ZERO bubble (zero degrees camber).

Your tool is a very handy one and if you refer to the video on the link page, go to 0:58 of the video and the narrator tells you exactly what they mean for toe-in setting: the difference between the two tape measures............which is A-C in your first diagram. Convert that to toe angle using the formula/chart supplied with the tool to get toe-in ANGLE. The toe angle means: FOR EACH WHEEL, INDEPENDENTLY.

Nice tool, but according to the video, the measurements are taken at arbitrary points fore-aft (unless the video doesn't show entire procedure). I'm curious just what those 2 slots with the movable buttons are in both of the measuring stands.

What I CAN tell you about my procedure...............which is very time consuming...............is that the steering wheel is dead straight, the car tracks straight and does not wander if I let go the wheel on a flat, level road, will drift very slightly down a crowned road as it's supposed to, shows ZERO tire wear after 20,000 miles on radial tires and best of all, handles like a sonofabitch with neutral handling and zero tire squeal around turns.
Thanks 65TB, my tool is indeed better than strings, but it's not perfect. The stand-off allows to rest the tool on the wheel rims rather than on the tire for consistent reading. The slots for the tape measures are about where the tire thread is (non adjustable) I know the sequence in the video you refer to, it was exactly the reason why I started this thread suspecting not everyone agrees on the definitions
Old 05-15-2018, 12:41 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

So I simply needed to know how that measurement relates to a toe spec as in table below taken from http://www.tech.corvettecentral.com/...ignment-specs/ (they say it is ....'total Toe'...sorry!)

Bill
Old 05-15-2018, 12:41 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
I'm not sure I understand your post. If the thrust angle is a whooping quarter-degree, then you have significantly different per wheel toe at the rear.

Then you said " Toe is now spot on 0°". Which corners?

If you have an alignment report, post it.

If your own measurements, post them and how you made them.

Duke
Rear 'Total Toe' is 0°, in my set-up that means the wheels are parallel to each other, but not parallel to the centreline cause there they are .25° off as reported. All those measurements are as accurate as one gets using tape measures.
When I'll actually do the alignment I'll post the numbers and the set-up
Old 05-15-2018, 03:21 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Bill
See the picture. Note how they arrived at "total toe".
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2018, 03:38 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

yep, degrees, not inches; inches don't count..

Bill
Old 05-15-2018, 03:48 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,237 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To toe-in, just to be sure..

Old 05-15-2018, 03:59 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

yep, degrees, not inches; inches don't count..

Bill
I don't know you well enough to read this as sarcasm, Bill. I sure hope it is, though! And Mike, your patience amazes me sometimes.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:29 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
All I see is a white block with a swatch of blue in it.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:34 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Rear 'Total Toe' is 0°, in my set-up that means the wheels are parallel to each other, but not parallel to the centreline cause there they are .25° off as reported. All those measurements are as accurate as one gets using tape measures.
When I'll actually do the alignment I'll post the numbers and the set-up
If the sum of R and L toe angle is zero, but not parallel to vehicle centerline, then one much be toed-out and the other toed-in.

I can get very accurate individual wheel toe measurements, in inches, but the key is to measure the center points of all cross members, then draw a string with plumbobs as necessary to keep the string as close to axle centerline as possible without interfering with any part of the car.

Duke

Quick Reply: toe-in, just to be sure..