C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

SWC mystique & fantasy

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 07:59 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The mystique was so overwhelming, I had to buy one yesterday.

I wanted one since I was little, but as time wore on, I became singularly obsessed with 67's. I owned several, most recently a 435 convertible that I sold in April. One could surmise that I am a slave to fashion and follow the trend, but I covet and collect a lot of totally obscure and generally unpopular cars too.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (06-02-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 08:12 PM
65 396
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The split window will always be a point of conversation (positive or negative) because:

1. They're one year only.
2. They've always been cool as hell.
3. Anyone who knows the word Corvette also knows the words split window
4. If you're lucky enough to see one on the street, you will pause to look at it.
5. And about a million other reasons.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:35 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe

I wanted one since I was little, but as time wore on, I became singularly obsessed with 67's. I owned several, most recently a 435 convertible that I sold in April. One could surmise that I am a slave to fashion and follow the trend, but I covet and collect a lot of totally obscure and generally unpopular cars too.
And a fine looking machine it is!
SupremeDeluxe (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 08:48 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe

NICE LOOKING CAR!!
SupremeDeluxe (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 11:45 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Congrats Nick. You are going to love that beautiful car.

Jay
Old 05-26-2018, 01:29 AM
L78
Burning Brakes

Received 434 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
...The styling was a flop. Customer's complained about poor visibility out the back even though they liked the coupe body. Some customers even then didn't like the back window styling so they took a hatchet to the center rib and put in a one piece back window like the later Corvettes used.

That's why the design lasted one year only.
Any other way you spin it is BS.

I have heard those 'stories", but have yet to see a 63 coupe that actually had the "split" removed... But the one-piece glass and trim were NOT available (for someone to modify their rear window) until AFTER the later models were out...

IMO, its similar to the "67 "mystique"... Why are non-L71 and L68s (tri-powered 427s) worth more than identically equipped '66 models? And while not as much as '63, the '67s command a noticeable increase in value over the '65 and '66...

Last edited by L78; 05-26-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:17 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Nobody knows how many 'splits' were removed; it was also popular to mud in the cookie sheet depressions in the hood to make it flat -- that I have seen. These mods were being done enough that Popular Science did an article on the procedure - so, its not a myth....how many cars were subjected to this. I've heard from a handful to hundreds; nobody knows.
Attached Images       
Old 05-26-2018, 05:03 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Good stuff Frank... but you cut off the 3rd tailight install!! How are we supposed to do it now?
Old 05-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by SDVette
Good stuff Frank... but you cut off the 3rd tailight install!! How are we supposed to do it now?
That part was lame....using a cardboard template.....makes it tougher to get perfect alignment with the added tail lights...
There are better ways (or so I've been told)...
Old 05-26-2018, 06:07 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

What I want to know is why Chevrolet sold more convertibles in 1963 than they did coupes?

If you look at vintage magazine write ups of 1963 Corvettes, you see the enthusiasm for the whole package. Not just one of the two available body styles.

Evidently, owners in recent years have put on a smoke and mirrors show to flim flam the unknowing public into believing there is something really special about them. The styling was a flop. Customer's complained about poor visibility out the back even though they liked the coupe body. Some customers even then didn't like the back window styling so they took a hatchet to the center rib and put in a one piece back window like the later Corvettes used.

That's why the design lasted one year only. Any other way you spin it is BS.
There's the mystique we're talking about.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought a 63' SWC back in 71' It was Daytona Blue with a very tired 340 hp engine. I replaced the engine with a small block 400 and drove the hell out of that car. It was the first C2, that, I ever owned and I loved it. The split window never fazed me at all. There was no problem looking towards the rear, but, I didn't know there was supposed to be. I just accepted it as it was. All in all, it was a great car in comparison to the two C1's that I had owned. I finally did sell it to upgrade to a 66' roadster with two tops. But, that's what most of my friends did back then. We sold to upgrade to a newer model. Nobody thought of holding on to these cars for investments then. There was no crystal ball to foretell the future.
If I had the money to spend, I'd buy another one to tool around in. But, one that was refurbished and in good shape. I'm too old to be climbing around and turning the wrenches anymore. The 63' SWC always brings a smile to my face and I love speaking to its owner and talking about them.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:51 AM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

SWC: if you don’t have one, you want one (my case).
If you have one, you want another one.
The only obstacle is justifying the upcharge vs the 64 through 67.
Make mine black with red, 340HP, 4 sp.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Its a bit of whimsy that the desire for a fuelie SWC seems a bit dampened.....

Of course, most would love one, but for day-to-day driving/showing ?

Seems those cars are reaching "museum piece" status....not practical, nor affordable for mere mortals...
Old 05-27-2018, 09:01 AM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Mine did look pretty bad **** as a 454 AS/R car in Daytona blue. And there's your 6 taillights too!

Steve
Attached Images    
Old 05-27-2018, 09:21 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Since I grew up, "back in the day" with these cars you mention..................

All the cars you mentioned are still ugly from a styling standpoint regardless of what the current publications say that are trying to sell something and you and people that look like you are buying it.

Nobody I know is jealous of someone that owns a SWC. Many that I know are really tired of all the bloviating about how valuable, rare, desirable, escalating in value, beautiful, etc., etc.

All you guys did was take the place of the BB '67 owners doing the same a few years ago.

It's really unclear to me why when you defend your purchase of that red car that you think everyone that doesn't own one is jealous of you.

I've owned a midyear coupe (same one) since 1972. If I wanted a '63 coupe, I'd go buy one. Two if I really liked it. I quickly got rid of the first SWC I owned.

I think you are in the "fantasy" portion of this subject.

Don't take this personal. It applies to many here who go on and on about their SWC's.
Bottom line on value you can fake the big block not the 63 .
its a money thing for sure that added to the hype .
The guy that bought mine was a flipper it took him 7 months for him do that . If it took long to flip it he paid to much
Old 05-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

C2Racer/Steve
I love the view from the rear, (I'm sure many racers didn't .
The six taillights, the louvers and the holes in the rear valance are perfect for a racer. I always liked the flares too.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
Bottom line on value you can fake the big block not the 63 .
its a money thing for sure that added to the hype .
The guy that bought mine was a flipper it took him 7 months for him do that . If it took long to flip it he paid to much
Totally overlooks the point that many have no interest in faking anything, including the '63. They are not mystified nor do they have a fantasy about owning one. There are those that do bang the bongos to create an illusion amongst the minions that will, in the end, generate some cash to stick in their pocket. Today, it may be 63's, yesterday, it was '67's. I remember when '65 was hot. If you want to fall for all that hoopla and pay through the nose for some contrived nonsense instead of buying something you really like, go ahead. That's where the "fantasy" lies. There is no mystique. They are just old cars and the '63's are mechanically the least desirable of the midyears.

By "63, did you mean all '63's or just certain '63's.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-27-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To SWC mystique & fantasy

Old 05-27-2018, 11:31 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Totally overlooks the point that many have no interest in faking anything, including the '63. They are not mystified nor do they have a fantasy about owning one. There are those that do bang the bongos to create an illusion amongst the minions that will, in the end, generate some cash to stick in their pocket. Today, it may be 63's, yesterday, it was '67's. I remember when '65 was hot. If you want to fall for all that hoopla and pay through the nose for some contrived nonsense instead of buying something you really like, go ahead. That's where the "fantasy" lies. There is no mystique. They are just old cars and the '63's are mechanically the least desirable of the midyears.

By "63, did you mean all '63's or just certain '63's.
I was talking about the 1 year only SWC ,Try faking this and there would be no money left .If that was the intent from some money hungry fool.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:55 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Car and Driver didn't even notice the styling in 1963.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-ray-road-test

Road and Track didn't notice anything special about the styling either. Just that the coupe had room in the back for a couple of kids and some luggage. And not much wind noise below 70 mph! Nothing said about the back window.

It's all pure fabrication to generate dollars for the hucksters and make a few think they have good reason to puff their chest out a little.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:12 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Car and Driver didn't even notice the styling in 1963.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-ray-road-test

Road and Track didn't notice anything special about the styling either. Just that the coupe had room in the back for a couple of kids and some luggage. And not much wind noise below 70 mph! Nothing said about the back window.

It's all pure fabrication to generate dollars for the hucksters and make a few think they have good reason to puff their chest out a little.
I guess articles like this doesn't help
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: SWC mystique & fantasy