C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Age related attitude

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:12 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Default Age related attitude

As you get older, do you find yourself doing some tasks with the attitude that it's the last time you'll do that thing?

For example when I was preparing to install the RS600 I didn't want to bother fabricating a removable crossmember because I was installing this tranny once and then driving the car until the wheels fell off or I was simply too old to do it anymore. Six months later I'm pulling it back out to correct a problem with it occasionally sliding out of fifth.

When I was a young hotrodder, I never tightened my mufflers clamps so tight that I couldn't separate the parts without a cutting torch. But this time as I put new exhaust pipes and mufflers along with the RS600, I seriously clamped the new off-road mufflers to the new pipes figuring they'd outlast me! So what did I do today - right, had to remove the mufflers to replace the rusty fuel tank!

What next?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:27 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

for me Nope, it never enters my mind
Old 05-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I've been on borrowed time for 9 years now so every day is a bonus for me. I always think this is the last time I'll do this or do that. In the next few weeks we'll be starting on a model A coupe for a friends wife. I'll be fabbing the chassis from a kit but we will be adding an extra C4 rear axle I had. The engine will be a flathead fully done in front of a 4L60. I'm sure it will be a fun project.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:34 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

I really, truly enjoy doing automotive electrical work, I never cut corners and frankly, I am probably far more cautious than I need to be. Once I had the dash out on the '66 I decided to "rejuvenate" the original harness in the car, using the three additional used dash harnesses that I amassed over the years. While pulling out that stiff-*** old harness … "Pop, crack, zing, woof !" …. I don't want to ever do this again. I purchased all new, all supple and all wildly flexible wiring harnesses for the whole car. I would post a photo of the car's Z-bar but I fear that it might not be visible, the flat and bare spots in that original wiring harness has caused me to protectively wrap any potential for a metal to wire grounding issue. That Z-bar is now so well insulated, and so damn puffy …

Ray
Old 05-25-2018, 10:35 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

At my age I’m still doing new jobs you guys learned before I was born! It’s humbling. The resources on the forum from sonmucb collective experiences are invaluable.

Benton
The following users liked this post:
vetintheblood (05-26-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 10:54 PM
vettepoor
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

At my age, I’m hoping it is the LAST time I have to do certain jobs! I recall pulling the tranny out of my 63 about 12 years ago, on my back, and thinking how much heavier that Muncie was than the previous time I pulled one out. The mind tends to write paychecks our bodies can’t cash when we “mature”.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:21 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

When I replaced my engine last year in my '63 I made my cross member removable. I'm just about positive now that I've done that, I'll never have to drop the tranny again as long as I live. I guess the next guy will have it easier when he has to do it.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:51 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

you are so right Vettepoor, but I keep on cashing them,, lol
Old 05-26-2018, 05:37 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
As you get older, do you find yourself doing some tasks with the attitude that it's the last time you'll do that thing?

For example when I was preparing to install the RS600 I didn't want to bother fabricating a removable crossmember because I was installing this tranny once and then driving the car until the wheels fell off or I was simply too old to do it anymore. Six months later I'm pulling it back out to correct a problem with it occasionally sliding out of fifth.

When I was a young hotrodder, I never tightened my mufflers clamps so tight that I couldn't separate the parts without a cutting torch. But this time as I put new exhaust pipes and mufflers along with the RS600, I seriously clamped the new off-road mufflers to the new pipes figuring they'd outlast me! So what did I do today - right, had to remove the mufflers to replace the rusty fuel tank!

What next?
Some things I don't want to do or learn for a job I'll only do once (installing a convertible top for instance).
Some jobs I refuse to do because age can make it difficult or dangerous - like removing a transmission.

The former could be laziness; the latter -- smart...

Other stuff - heck yeah I've done it more than once. I never thought I'd have my coupe doors off and apart more than once and its been 3 or 4 times now IIRC...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 05-26-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:05 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

One thing I do a lot more now is overthinking every job I have to do, to the point of not starting them in a timely fashion, but rather sitting there planning every part of the job first. When I was a kid I'd dive right in and learn as I go.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:09 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

yesterday I replaced the front pads/rotors on the Sierra p/u; couldn't lift the wheel/tire to put it back on...

most dreaded job (and successfully procrastinated) is replacing the windshield in the 62....

Bill
Old 05-26-2018, 06:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The young bull standing alongside the old bull on the hilltop gazing at the cattle herd says, "....let's run down into the valley and mate with one of those cows!"

The old bull replies, "....let's walk down and mate with all of them."
65air_coupe (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 06:18 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The young bull standing alongside the old bull on the hilltop gazing at the cattle herd says, "....let's run down into the valley and mate with one of those cows!"

The old bull replies, "....let's walk down and mate with all of them."
I wish I could 'mate' with just one.... (not bovine or other 4-legged species related...)

Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 05-26-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:27 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
One thing I do a lot more now is overthinking every job I have to do, to the point of not starting them in a timely fashion, but rather sitting there planning every part of the job first. When I was a kid I'd dive right in and learn as I go.
I’m with you on that one. At 72, I figure if I put it off long enough, I won’t have to do it at all.

The good news is the difficult decision of whether to take the Publisher’s Clearing House payoff as a lump sum or doled out over my lifetime has become much easier to make.

Steve
Kerrmudgeon (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 06:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

At 67 I take a baby aspirin and multi-vitamin each morning - that's it for medications.

I'll be in the garage this morning putting a new work bench together and changing the oil in the jet ski for the season....
I look at some others my age and I'm thankful as all creation...
Old 05-26-2018, 06:39 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by RatDog
I’m with you on that one. At 72, I figure if I put it off long enough, I won’t have to do it at all.

The good news is the difficult decision of whether to take the Publisher’s Clearing House payoff as a lump sum or doled out over my lifetime has become much easier to make.

Steve
Steve

i'm with you... (figuratively..)

Bill
Old 05-26-2018, 07:02 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
To some degree I'm guilty of this. I built a M22W transmission last summer and installed it with all new clutch/flywheel components and it crossed my mine more than once that this is probably the last time I'll be pulling and replacing this thing.

I still toy with pulling the motor and rebuilding it back to something closer to a stock L72 but I'm not sure it will happen under my watch. Maybe?

Get notified of new replies

To Age related attitude

Old 05-26-2018, 07:03 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

"As you get older, do you find yourself doing some tasks with the attitude that it's the last time you'll do that thing?"

Absolutely! Not with the Corvette in particular but with life in general. It began while I was fixing some shingles on the steep roof of my home after a storm. I was in my mid-50s at the time and I made myself a promise. I will not go on a steep roof after age 60 even if I still think I can handle it when the time comes. The likelihood and consequences of a fall get too high to let my ego and wallet make that decision. Later, I wrote a short story that included a scene where a 75 year old man was watching a team of professional roofers put a new roof on his house. A neighbor noted the old man's apparent joy in watching the workers. "I always hated having a new roof put on," said the neighbor. "They tear up the yard and leave debris and nails everywhere. Why are you so happy?"

The old man looked at the neighbor and said, "I'm so old I'll never have to do this again." then he smiled.

Last edited by kellsdad; 05-26-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:13 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by kellsdad
"As you get older, do you find yourself doing some tasks with the attitude that it's the last time you'll do that thing?"

Absolutely! Not with the Corvette in particular but with life in general. It began while I was fixing some shingles on the steep roof of my home after a storm. I was in my mid-50s at the time and I made myself a promise. I will not go on a steep roof after age 60 even if I still think I can handle it when the time comes. The likelihood and consequences of a fall get too high to let my ego and wallet make that decision. Later, I wrote a short story that included a scene where a 75 year old man was watching a team of professional roofers put a new roof on his house. A neighbor noted the old man's apparent joy in watching the workers. "I always hated having a new roof put on," said the neighbor. "They tear up the yard and leave debris and nails everywhere. Why are you so happy?"

The old man looked at the neighbor and said, "I'm so old I'll never have to do this again." then he smiled.
amen... just went through this myself

Bill
Old 05-26-2018, 07:31 AM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

When I was in my 50's, I watched as a 72 y/o was on my roof w/his son doing a roof install for me, and thinking to myself, wow, he's pretty old to be doing that. But, yesterday, I was on the roof of the garage doing some work, and in a few days I'll be 72, and I remember him, and now was thinking to myself, I'm not so old that I can't still do this stuff. I still do all kinds of stuff I didn't think I'd do when I got old. But, I guess I don't think I'm old yet.

I do remember my father-in-law saying what you're saying, when he was in his early 70's. He didn't make it past 75. So, maybe there is a self fulfilling prophecy at work. Who knows??

Quick Reply: Age related attitude