C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Cost of decent paint job

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 03:29 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Maybe your overhead is just flat too high?
Old 01-19-2019, 04:20 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by nutt
One thing is constant when this questions comes up. The guys that have done the work understand the costs, the rest tend to be amazed at the total tally.
Let's talk hours. On a steel, western, minimal rust, minimal body damage car, I've put anywhere from 100 to 300 hours on a car. Outcomes have been from good driver quality, to show. That should sound reasonable to most. Now simply do the math. Do you expect a guy in his own shop to work for $50/hr? That won't pay the bills. So for a private guy to charge $70/hr may be more inline. A pro shop would have to be up around $100/hr. or a little more to pay all his costs. So why do some think the going rates are out of proportion? I know by the guys I talk to that they think bodywork/paint can be somewhat a menial task. Couldn't be farther from the truth. The ONLY aspect of a quality finish that is somewhat lacking the need for expert hands is the stripping. I still wouldn't let anyone strip my project but me or a professional. You get to see all the indicators of past trauma plus the general condition of the body while stripping. This aids in the reversal of said trauma.
I've do all my own work and have refused just about everyone that's asked me to take on their projects because they simply don't give me the feeling they'll pay my bill. Truth is, for me, it's a huge physical task and I likely don't have more than a couple left in me, so why would I waste that effort on anyone's project but my own?
100% correct. Sure are a lot of strong opinions from those that have NEVER done paint or bodywork.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:24 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Everything is high these days, particularly on both coasts. In my state (CA) typical shop labor for regular repairs is $100-$120 per hour. Minimum wage is $15 per hour. To live middle class, you need to earn about $30 per hour. If you have kids, etc, you need to earn a lot more than that. $100 per hour IMO is not expensive for expert craftsmanship, which is what all of us expect and want with our cars. As an example of how expensive it's gotten, I had a '66 GTO stripped to bare metal and a base/clear show quality paint job done in Montero Red in 1982 for $2500....about 3 times what I paid for the car! Factoring in inflation, that $2500 would be $6500 in 2019 dollars......which wouldn't even cover the cost of materials. Like tires and batteries, paint itself has gotten very, very pricey.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 04:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Another problem is the industry itself. Sure Im not the only one who HAS paid the big $ just to get average work.
Last person Id take my car to is somoenes backyard who does it on the side cause thats where your car will be the next 5 yrs.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:01 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Some of you could pay PassPort to ship your cars to "fly over" country and get them painted cheaper and then ship them back to you. You could come out thousands of $$$ ahead.

I'm just another "deplorable" who has done some body and paint work. Not for a living but for myself.

You can buy a good hamburger here for $2.50/$3.00. I hear the same thing costs $10-$12 in New York. I have no idea what they cost in the Taxifornia place called Calif.
gjhinc (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 05:38 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Some of you could pay PassPort to ship your cars to "fly over" country and get them painted cheaper and then ship them back to you. You could come out thousands of $$$ ahead.

I'm just another "deplorable" who has done some body and paint work. Not for a living but for myself.

You can buy a good hamburger here for $2.50/$3.00. I hear the same thing costs $10-$12 in New York. I have no idea what they cost in the Taxifornia place called Calif.
Mike,
You must be a "Porcelain Palace", aka Whitey One Bite regular for the price of a burger.
P.S. "White Castle"
Old 01-19-2019, 05:38 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,607 Likes on 665 Posts

Mike M said,
Maybe your overhead is to high.
I just did some figures on my overhead.
My employees health insurance alone costs me $5.60 per hour per person!
Then there is workers comp, liability ins, auto insurance and the list goes on!
You can not work for $50 per hour any more.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:00 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
Mike M said,
Maybe your overhead is to high.
I just did some figures on my overhead.
My employees health insurance alone costs me $5.60 per hour per person!
Then there is workers comp, liability ins, auto insurance and the list goes on!
You can not work for $50 per hour any more.

That's exactly what I said. Maybe your overhead is too high.

You can easily work for $50/hour if you watch your expenses. Unless you live in California and other high cost, high overhead states. I could not afford my house and garage if it was in Calif. or some places in New York but it is very affordable here where I live in the "fly over" zone.

You know, the place where Trump got all his votes.

And anyone that would pay $24K for a paint job is without brains or pockets to hold his money.

Last edited by MikeM; 01-19-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:18 PM
nutt
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Not sure taking shots at other's decisions is cool, certainly isn't in my book. If those that pay that do so, it's their gig. Many have paid that and show their rides with pride. It doesn't stop there, many pay a restoration shop to go deep and perform a nut/bolt resto. That can be a chunk of change. I know I've spent 4 hours easy on pair of kick panels, maybe 10 hours restoring a driveline....add that up. Before you say just do it yourself and save the dough, think about those that physically can't, do we pass judgement on their decision to live their dream the only way they know? Think a little before you spew garbage.

Last edited by nutt; 01-19-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:21 PM
nutt
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

[QUOTE=MikeM;1598719482

And anyone that would pay $24K for a paint job is without brains or pockets to hold his money.[/QUOTE]

In case you were scrolling through other posts wondering who that was in response to.....
Old 01-19-2019, 06:25 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Think a little before you spew garbage.
If you're talking to me, it's called common sense. I use that often in lieu of money. If you have plenty of money then go for it. Just don't make the average hobbyist here that you have to pay a small fortune for a presentable paint job. That's what's garbage.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:06 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Not sure taking shots at other's decisions is cool, certainly isn't in my book. If those that pay that do so, it's their gig. Many have paid that and show their rides with pride. It doesn't stop there, many pay a restoration shop to go deep and perform a nut/bolt resto. That can be a chunk of change. I know I've spent 4 hours easy on pair of kick panels, maybe 10 hours restoring a driveline....add that up. Before you say just do it yourself and save the dough, think about those that physically can't, do we pass judgement on their decision to live their dream the only way they know? Think a little before you spew garbage.
I think the bottom line regarding paint job costs depends on where you live and your definition of "presentable". If you live where people have actual houses, the price is more. If you live in an area that you think your neighbors are rich because they have a double wide trailer vs. your single wide trailer, costs are probably less. There's a reason why the cost of living is less in the **** hole areas. Also, what one may think of as "presentable" , most will consider it "garbage".
ptjsk (01-20-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 09:39 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

There is no way no how a shop anywhere is going to make a profit at $50 an hr.
Roger Walling (01-22-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:13 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
Unless they bill an exorbitant number of hours.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:32 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Originally Posted by Robert61

The labor rate for body work in Olive Branch MS. is $48.00 an hour.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:45 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Yeah, I know my son in law and the guy that painted my goat had a body shop. When they told me how much insurance paid for paint my question was why are you even doing this. One of them has a job that pays over $50 an hr with benefits, insurance, and vacation, works 4 days a week. I questioned why would you have a shop, have the insurance companies telling you how much you'll work for and what you can make on parts. Yeah I know many can beat the hrs. But $50 an hr is a long way from $50 an hr profit. $50 an hr -$20-25 an hr for a body man, taxes, city taxes and fees, personal property taxes, utilities, building note, insurance, tools and equipment fro $50 bucks an hr just doesn't look like a good plan to me. But these guys have figured out how to get a great paint job for $3000. The great thing for you Rickie and me is we don't have to worry about that crap anymore!!!!!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:46 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 937 Likes on 601 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm looking for resto painter/bodyman in Western WA State

Chuck Sharin
CamarosRus@gmail.com

Get notified of new replies

To Cost of decent paint job

Old 01-20-2019, 06:08 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1snake
I think the bottom line regarding paint job costs depends on where you live and your definition of "presentable". If you live where people have actual houses, the price is more. If you live in an area that you think your neighbors are rich because they have a double wide trailer vs. your single wide trailer, costs are probably less. There's a reason why the cost of living is less in the **** hole areas. Also, what one may think of as "presentable" , most will consider it "garbage".

Okay, I have this paint job cost thing figured out now.

It seems if I live in a five garbage can neighborhood, my paint job could cost $24K.

Looks like a three garbage can neighborhood, the price will be about $10-$12K.

A double wide area means I'll pay about $5K.

If I don't take the wheels/tires off the single wide, I can get by for $2K or less.

I guess if I throw my garbage over the hill, behind where I live, I can be proud of my original paint.

If I don't have five garbage cans, my car is not presentable.

Does this sound about right?

Do the trailers in Olive Branch still have wheels/tires on them or do the owners sell them on C'L for spending money?

Last edited by MikeM; 01-20-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:24 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

I must live in a **** hole town my paint cost $2000.00, 30 years ago and still looks great even up close

Last edited by 1955 copper; 01-21-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:34 AM
gjhinc
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts

Yea. I know what you guys mean. I've lived in NYC, SanFan and other **** hole parts of the country for work. I now live "outside of" Dallas. More or less not a **** hole. **** hole is in the eye of the beholder. IMHO.

Anyway... I would appreciate a couple of opinions. Here's what I received last night from the paint shop where the Vette's been for the last to weeks:
We put your Vette out front yesterday to let it cure out and a guy who bought a vehicle from us let the wind catch his door and accidentally put a chip on its passenger side (see attached pic). He has full coverage insurance from Geico and filed claim. We're going to put together and send them a quote first thing in the morning. We're also going to call them to confirm that we can start working on it immediately. I'm sorry that it happened. My guys said that it appeared as though the vehicles were parked far enough apart for their doors not touch each other when they were wide open. The wind was blowing so hard and it happened so fast that no one noticed it happened until he left. Anyways, we're going to make it disappear ASAP. It's going to take a few days due to the fact that we're probably going to have to re-clearcoat the whole front clip. I will keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Cost of decent paint job