C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Fuel pump going bad or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 AM
vettejunk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pump going bad or something else?

Yesterday took my '61 out for a 30 minute drive after redoing my brakes. Car ran fine. Brakes were great! Pulled in my street and stopped at a neighbor that wanted to see the car. Engine was off for half-hour while we talked. Started fine, then drove to my house & pulled in the driveway, Engine stalled. Wouldn't start or sputter. Tried starter fluid, adding gas to the tank, checked the lines, but realized it wasn't getting gas. It was 92 degrees out so though maybe vapor lock or heat related. Waited over a full hour but still wouldn't start.
Left the car until the evening, seven hours later when car, outside & me were cooler. Wouldn't start so, Pulled the fuel line off the carb and cranked the engine, not even a drop of gas.
This morning I pulled the fuel line, cranked the engine and plenty of fuel came out! Hooked the line back and drove the car on my street, running fine again.

I'm stumped! Could the fuel pump be starting to go bad? I've only ever had mechanical pumps work or not at all. Never intermittent. Also would have thought, anything heat related would have resolved in seven hours. Now the distance from my neighbor to my driveway is a very short distance so its possible the car just used the gas left in the float bowl, and the pump was not working already.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:10 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Un do the rubber fuel line at the fuel pump and see if you can get some fuel to run out.
May have to use a "small" bit of pressure at the filler
I am sure your fuel gauge is working!!!!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:11 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Sure sounds like a bad fuel pump to me. As far as intermittent, I’m not sure.

Ed
Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 AM
vettejunk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Un do the rubber fuel line at the fuel pump and see if you can get some fuel to run out.
May have to use a "small" bit of pressure at the filler
I am sure your fuel gauge is working!!!!
You might have missed it (sorry if my post was too long) but this morning its running fine and gas is pumping. So I am sure I will get fuel at the line since today it is pumping to the carb.

Not sure what your reference to my fuel gauge means?

Last edited by vettejunk; 06-19-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM
vettejunk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by emdoller
Sure sounds like a bad fuel pump to me. As far as intermittent, I’m not sure.

Ed
Thanks Ed. Well the fuel was pumping (still not sure if its the fuel pump, which is why I posted here) & engine ran for a 30 minute drive; then it didn't run, no fuel to carb; then this morning it ran again fine. So to me that is an intermittent problem.
​​​​​​
Old 06-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 640 Likes on 395 Posts

It seems unlikely to me that the fuel pump would fail intermittently. If it did so, I'd think you wouldn't see absolutely zero output, but would see a reduced output.

I tend to think you had a blockage of some sort in the line leading to the pump that got cleared out. Vapor lock seems unlikely given your description, but it's possible, I suppose.

I'd watch to see if this happens again. I don't know how you can diagnose it now that it's no longer doing what it did.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:09 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

The pumps can indeed act intermittent if the pin in the actuator arm is "walking" out....something to check on.
You may have just had a stuck float...if it happens again rap the side of the carb with the plastic handle of a screwdriver 2-3 good licks and try to start the car. If you are running a original WCFB, those float positions in the fuel bowls are tight and critical.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:11 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Fuel gauge reading fuel in the tank...... and tank empty!
Old 06-19-2018, 11:17 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Rubber fuel hoses have been known to collapse internally and block the flow. same as brake hoses. Check/replace the one at the tank and the pump.

If you replace, use SAE 30r9 hose and it'll outlast you.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:24 AM
vettejunk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MikeM
Rubber fuel hoses have been known to collapse internally and block the flow. same as brake hoses. Check/replace the one at the tank and the pump.

If you replace, use SAE 30r9 hose and it'll outlast you.
I replaced the hose by the tank a month ago. Do that about every two years.
Could a collapsed hose fix itself? Since everything seems to be working fine today with no changes.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:26 AM
vettejunk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The pumps can indeed act intermittent if the pin in the actuator arm is "walking" out....something to check on.
You may have just had a stuck float...if it happens again rap the side of the carb with the plastic handle of a screwdriver 2-3 good licks and try to start the car. If you are running a original WCFB, those float positions in the fuel bowls are tight and critical.
I will check the pin. Forgot about that. Thanks.

Was not a carb or float problem. No gas was even coming out of the line yesterday to reach the carb.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:30 AM
vettejunk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Duck916
It seems unlikely to me that the fuel pump would fail intermittently. If it did so, I'd think you wouldn't see absolutely zero output, but would see a reduced output.

I tend to think you had a blockage of some sort in the line leading to the pump that got cleared out. Vapor lock seems unlikely given your description, but it's possible, I suppose.
What kind of blockage do you think? Dirt would not think would completely block. Someone else suggested a collapsed hose or line but would that "fix itself?"
Old 06-19-2018, 11:49 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vettejunk
I replaced the hose by the tank a month ago. Do that about every two years.
Could a collapsed hose fix itself? Since everything seems to be working fine today with no changes.
To answer your question, yes.

What SAE spec hose did you use?

I once had a Pinto that would stall about once a week. Symptoms similar to yours. Yes, I changed the fuel pump. Blew the fuel line back to the tank out. No help. Did a few other things chasing my tail as well. FInally, it dawned on me, the car would stall when the tank got low on fuel. I don't remember why I did this but I fished a stiff wire down the filler neck and pulled out the remains of 3-4 of those blue paper towels you find in the window washer cabinet at the gas station.

No more problems. If I had to guess, someone must have lost their gas cap so they shoved that paper in the hole and away it went. I'd also guess that's the reason I was able to buy the car cheap.

Last edited by MikeM; 06-19-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:51 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Something blocking teh inlet in the tank. Either lots of little pieces, or maybe one large piece, like plastic bag. As time went by, it disengaged itself, as the suction went away.

You often see fuel starvation at the carb from clogged filters, but if the pump isn't pumping, it is blockage on the inlet side.

Doug
Old 06-19-2018, 12:16 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 640 Likes on 395 Posts

What kind of blockage do you think? Dirt would not think would completely block. Someone else suggested a collapsed hose or line but would that "fix itself?"
I think it could. If the hose has a fairly sharp bend in it, then expansion of the hose with heat could be enough to cause a kink. Then, when the hose cooled off, the kink could come out.

As someone else noted above, there could be a blockage at the tank as well. Either way, it seems likely to me that the problem was on the inlet side of the pump. If/when this happens again, that's where I'd start looking.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Dreaming60’s
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 248 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Is the gas cap vented or non-vented. Not sure if this has been mentioned, but a non-vented gas cap can cause this kind of issue, if the rubber vent hose from the tank to the filler neck is block. If cap is vented, then that shouldn't be the problem. If it does it again remove the gas cap and see if it will start and you should hear a loud whoosh if there is a big vacuum in the tank.

Butch
Old 06-19-2018, 12:37 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Hoses can de-laminate internally. When the suction/pressure drops, the hose opens up.

Next time it quits, blow the line back to the tank and see if that clears it. Carry a short section of hose with you to hook to the pump inlet hose and use oral pressure..

Last edited by MikeM; 06-19-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pump going bad or something else?

Old 06-19-2018, 02:05 PM
vettejunk
Intermediate

Thanks everyone!

I replaced the tank myself though it was a long time ago. I replaced the fuel sender a year or two ago and did look in the tank when changing it. So doubt there is anything like a plastic bag or garbage like that.

The cap is vented and when I added gas yesterday there was no sound when removing the cap.

The rubber hose I used says SAE30R6

I'm thinking about disconnecting the line between the tank & pump and trying to blow it out anyway.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:37 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The rubber hose I used says SAE30R6
You want SAE J30 R9, fuel injection hose. It won't rot like R7 will. I have no idea what R6 is.

The R9 is usually metric, so you will have to find the closest size to what is probably 3/8" on your car. Probably 10 MM.

Doug
Old 06-19-2018, 02:38 PM
Muadi
Intermediate

When you replaced the fuel pickup in the tank... I'm assuming it was a new filter/sock at the pickup point? Possible issue.

Quick Reply: [C1] Fuel pump going bad or something else?