C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64-65 L84 Hard to Keep Running?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 01:37 PM
L76_Cpar
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 180 Posts
Default 64-65 L84 Hard to Keep Running?

Would appreciate thoughts from anyone who has owned a 64-65 fuel car.

1) I have a opportunity to get a 65 L84 car but I have had several C2 shops tell me that they are hard to keep running. Any thoughts?

2) I have been told that they require high octane gas to run correctly with is more and more difficult to find. Is this correct?

Is it best to stay away and look for a 365 car?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:44 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

there is no difference between the 365 and the 375 except one is carbureted and the other FI; both take the same fuel. and yes, because of the higher compression, they will need 92/93 octane.

as to reliability, a carburetor is a carburetor; a fuel injection is a special breed but if it is running properly and you don't mess with it, it will run next to forever...

Bill
The following users liked this post:
L76_Cpar (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 01:48 PM
L76_Cpar
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
there is no difference between the 365 and the 375 except one is carbureted and the other FI; both take the same fuel. and yes, because of the higher compression, they will need 92/93 octane.

as to reliability, a carburetor is a carburetor; a fuel injection is a special breed but if it is running properly and you don't mess with it, it will run next to forever...

Bill
Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 06-21-2018, 03:40 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,529 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by wmf62

Bill
Very true words. They are not hard to make run properly. They don't require fiddling to keep them running. They DO require that you educate yourself to some of their "endearing qualities", but these are nothing anyone can't learn.

Last edited by jim lockwood; 06-21-2018 at 03:42 PM.
L76_Cpar (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Critter1
Melting Slicks

Received 621 Likes on 441 Posts

In my opinion, a correctly rebuilt fuel injection unit is more dependable than the Holley carburetor on a 365 HP engine.

A few of my everyday drivers in the early 70's had Rochester FI and I didn't have any issues. (well, there was that float that decided to leak and sink while on vacation in Florida in 1974 but that can happen to a carburetor float too)
L76_Cpar (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 04:26 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Critter1
In my opinion, a correctly rebuilt fuel injection unit is more dependable than the Holley carburetor on a 365 HP engine.

A few of my everyday drivers in the early 70's had Rochester FI and I didn't have any issues. (well, there was that float that decided to leak and sink while on vacation in Florida in 1974 but that can happen to a carburetor float too)
Rochester Fuel Injection is a great option and already discussed, and perform well. A friend owned a 61 FI car and installed a 327 and 350 motor after the original motor wore out. Drove over 400,000 miles over 20 years and ''NEVER'' changed the injection. Just moved it from one engine to another.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

I don't know anything about the Rochester FI units, but as respects octane, don't worry about it. Premium gas at the 91-93 level is not going away. In fact, there has been discussion about increasing routinely available pump octane levels to 95-96 to support more fuel efficient engines (compression generates efficiency as well as power).
Old 06-21-2018, 06:11 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

A lot of today's higher end cars require 91-93 octane premium, so it's going to be around for a long time.

RON
Old 06-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Vitaminmopar
Burning Brakes

Received 334 Likes on 199 Posts

Agree with the posts above on reliability. Letting an FI car sit for a couple of weeks or months will affect the reliability. Some disadvantages are fuel percolation from heat soak and the higher cost the FI system commands when on the car. Advantage of FI is crisp throttle response, slightly better fuel mileage, altitude compensation, and the wow factor. If you obtain the car you have to learn enough about the system to name the components and do basic troubleshooting if a fault does happen. If you have to ask the forum for help that little bit of knowledge might keep you out of the dark. IF the car does not have a spare high pressure pump cable in the glove box then you know the current owner was not well versed on the system and should be the first item you buy. If the pump cable breaks the only way the car is going to move is if it is pushed, pulled, towed or carried. Jim Gessner has a database of most of the 65 FI cars so if the VIN is in the database he may be able to tell you some information about the car. Post some photos of the system and the information from the plenum data plate and what distributor is in the car. Find out the rear end ratio in the car, a 3:73 is kind of the sweet spot for FI drive-ability, a 3:36 will suck.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:19 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Vitaminmopar
Agree with the posts above on reliability. Letting an FI car sit for a couple of weeks or months will affect the reliability. Some disadvantages are fuel percolation from heat soak and the higher cost the FI system commands when on the car. Advantage of FI is crisp throttle response, slightly better fuel mileage, altitude compensation, and the wow factor. If you obtain the car you have to learn enough about the system to name the components and do basic troubleshooting if a fault does happen. If you have to ask the forum for help that little bit of knowledge might keep you out of the dark. IF the car does not have a spare high pressure pump cable in the glove box then you know the current owner was not well versed on the system and should be the first item you buy. If the pump cable breaks the only way the car is going to move is if it is pushed, pulled, towed or carried. Jim Gessner has a database of most of the 65 FI cars so if the VIN is in the database he may be able to tell you some information about the car. Post some photos of the system and the information from the plenum data plate and what distributor is in the car. Find out the rear end ratio in the car, a 3:73 is kind of the sweet spot for FI drive-ability, a 3:36 will suck.
I learned the hard way to carry a spare drive cable. broke one in Timbuktu once, but was able to get to a gas station and put it back together by sleeving the 2 pieces together using a piece of copper tubing and solder. the cable will stay in place without the jacket

Bill
Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 PM
hugh9222
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had my 64 FI with a TI ignition for 33 years this summer. The only problem I had with the actual FI unit was a failure of the anti siphon valve (luckily no damage) and a leaking high pressure pump seal. Fix them both myself. Put an NC solenoid to block the gas line between the high pressure pump and spider.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:40 AM
65vette396
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

I had a 65 coupe with FI. Once running, it was dependable and efficient. I had problems starting it sometimes as it would crank for a period. Occasionally, it would vapor lock or refuse to start. Letting it sit for a spell and then restarting would usually work. I would echo the driving more frequently helps the reliability. Some of my problems with starting could have been from the "sitting" periods between my joy rides. FI's look impressive and if calibrated correctly, will be as reliable as a carbed engine.

Get notified of new replies

To 64-65 L84 Hard to Keep Running?

Quick Reply: 64-65 L84 Hard to Keep Running?