C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Here we go again - project creep!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 09:40 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Default Here we go again - project creep!

We've all been there and it looks like I'm heading there again although it's unlikely it will be anything like the last time. Last time I blew out a thermostat O-ring and ended up replacing the engine, transmission, exhaust system, rear shocks, radio and added third tail lights!

This time it is starting with replacing the fuel tank. So while the tank is out, I see I have better access to the radio antenna which quit working years ago! And of course since the car is up in the air, might as well put on new adjustable rear shocks while I'm at it. And while I'm staring at the rear suspension, I remember that I was advised to replace my U-joints with Spicer solid units so the half shafts are out.

And now that they're out, I'm looking at the differential and considering if now isn't the time to clean up and put new seals in that posi I have over at my storage yard to replace my open differential. And if that isn't enough, I'm lusting for a Borgeson steering box!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 626 Likes on 366 Posts

Oh just do it!!
I am suffering major project creep as well right now, as a rear suspension clean up turned into body off, frame paint, motor refresh with all items restored, offset trailing arms, drum to disk conversion frt & rear, dual master cyl, all new stainless fuel and brake lines, new tank, 4 post lift, but thank you for mentioning the radio antenna, as my fuel tank is out, so I may as well get an antenna that goes fully down... while im at it!

Even freshened up the rear carrier & a gear change from 3:30 posi to a 3:70 posi... !

Last edited by Rob_64-365; 06-27-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:47 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Sounds like you have already reconciled to proceeding with the "project". Why not? At the end of the day your car and you have be happy with it.
Good luck going forward. May it cost less than what you planed for and take less time than you thought it would.
The following users liked this post:
65air_coupe (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 10:20 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Is this disease curable and was this a standard option on all these cars? How did I go from just planning to put all new bushings, brakes and freshen up the motor to now having almost everything on the body removed and it’s going to a painter? I’m glad I found a support group.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:52 AM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by elwood13
Is this disease curable and was this a standard option on all these cars? How did I go from just planning to put all new bushings, brakes and freshen up the motor to now having almost everything on the body removed and it’s going to a painter? I’m glad I found a support group.
I think the technical term for us is "enablers."
The following 2 users liked this post by SI67:
65air_coupe (06-28-2018), elwood13 (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 01:03 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,958 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
We've all been there and it looks like I'm heading there again although it's unlikely it will be anything like the last time. Last time I blew out a thermostat O-ring and ended up replacing the engine, transmission, exhaust system, rear shocks, radio and added third tail lights!

This time it is starting with replacing the fuel tank. So while the tank is out, I see I have better access to the radio antenna which quit working years ago! And of course since the car is up in the air, might as well put on new adjustable rear shocks while I'm at it. And while I'm staring at the rear suspension, I remember that I was advised to replace my U-joints with Spicer solid units so the half shafts are out.

And now that they're out, I'm looking at the differential and considering if now isn't the time to clean up and put new seals in that posi I have over at my storage yard to replace my open differential. And if that isn't enough, I'm lusting for a Borgeson steering box!
Hey Ken,

So sorry to see that it looks like you have obtained the sickness. Unfortunately, there's many of us who have obtained a bout (or two), with this very contagious disease.

Fortunately, time, money, and effort usually provides a cure for it.

Good luck!

Pat
Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Yeah, I’m looking at the same on my interior but I’m hoping I can hold off till winter. Need new dashpad, wiring harness, clock, radio, etc. etc.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:16 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Hey Ken,

So sorry to see that it looks like you have obtained the sickness. Unfortunately, there's many of us who have obtained a bout (or two), with this very contagious disease.

Fortunately, time, money, and effort usually provides a cure for it.

Good luck!

Pat
Considering I've owned this car for over 40 years, I've done pretty well on avoiding going overboard...at least until that thermostat gasket leaked!

Many years ago a good friend that did exactly that...went overboard on his C2 and ended up pulling the body, replacing everything and having the frame blasted and powder coated. That was a great lesson for me as not only was he unable to drive it for nearly a year or more, after which it became a garage queen since he put so much into it. And then a few years later he had to sell it since he had too much money in it and needed the cash.
ptjsk (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 09:20 AM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I see it coming. I want to paint my car but I should take care of a few things (which will grow into many things) before I do. I'm just going to keep driving it before I make that jump.
Maybe the best way to get nice new paint is to buy a better car and sell mine! But it drives sooo well!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:03 AM
Vette5311
Le Mans Master

Received 1,261 Likes on 841 Posts
Default Me Too

I have the disease also, my 1957 went from some minor work, to a paint job to a frame off redo. It like an addiction. "Maybe just this one more thing while I'm at it!"

ptjsk (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 05:00 PM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

There will be a cure for most every ailment BEFORE a cure for project creep - - which I reluctantly think for may of us is incurable. I would have been done with my 1966 restoration 3 years ago if I didn’t catch the dreaded disease.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tmichaelson:
elwood13 (06-28-2018), ptjsk (06-27-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Bushings are a gateway item.

Last time I blew out a thermostat O-ring and ended up replacing the engine, transmission, exhaust system, rear shocks, radio and added third tail lights!
That's a pretty terminal case you've got there.

Originally Posted by SI67
I think the technical term for us is "enablers."
Or "pushers."

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Pat, unfortunately, I think your diagnosis is terminal.

Considering I've owned this car for over 40 years, I've done pretty well on avoiding going overboard...at least until that thermostat gasket leaked!
Spread over 40 years is just a more chronic and less acute case.

Originally Posted by Vette5311
I have the disease also, my 1957 went from some minor work, to a paint job to a frame off redo. It like an addiction. "Maybe just this one more thing while I'm at it!"
The first step to healing is admission.

Originally Posted by Tmichaelson
There will be a cure for most every ailment BEFORE a cure for project creep - - which I reluctantly think for may of us is incurable. I would have been done with my 1966 restoration 3 years ago if I didn’t catch the dreaded disease.

A common ideation of those in denial.

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 06-28-2018 at 10:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Easy Rhino:
elwood13 (06-28-2018), ptjsk (06-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Here we go again - project creep!

Quick Reply: Here we go again - project creep!