C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Stayfast white convertible top solution found

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
This will add to the sage, I purchased an EZ-on (cheapest price) stayfast top for my '63. It turned out being HARD-on (not the kind I was looking for) and EZ-off. I spent 30+ hrs trying to get it to work, it was just too tight, took it off in 30 minutes. Purchased a stayfast top from Coffman (Al Knoch), which fit perfect. Good luck.
Unfortunately, it looks like Coffman no longer sells top material just parts, at least for a C-1. When did you purchase your top?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:26 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 649 Likes on 278 Posts

I purchased mine in 2015 I think.
I just called Coffman about their C2 chassis. I also asked about the C1 top kit, they said they can supply oyster, or the new white stayfast top kit. Its not made by Al Knoch, but somebody else. Might want to call them direct and get pricing.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Steve59
Drifting

I purchased mine in 2015 I think.
I just called Coffman about their C2 chassis. I also asked about the C1 top kit, they said they can supply oyster, or the new white stayfast top kit. Its not made by Al Knoch, but somebody else. Might want to call them direct and get pricing.
Just got off the phone with Pam at Coffman Corvette. They can order the top once I choose the color. Here's the NEW INFO, apparently there is a WHITE STAYFAST MATERIAL AND AN OYSTER WHITE STAYFAST MATERIAL, the "WHITE" is new, within a few months. She will send me swaths of the material for me to compare. They will then order the top made. Expect $400-$500. If I choose Oyster, AK will make it, if I choose the White, Key Auto will make it.
This gets more interesting each minute......
The following users liked this post:
64SilverbluePhx (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 11:35 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I sent an email to Doug Robbins with a photo of the stayfast top on the car... and telling him that the website is still screwed up.
He replied, saying they are working to try to fix it... So if/when they do that, you should be able to order the Robbins top from there (for $465)
He also asked for more photos of my car so they can use them on their website!!! I told him "fix the website, and I'll send you more photos!!!!"
Old 08-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Originally Posted by SDVette
I sent an email to Doug Robbins with a photo of the stayfast top on the car... and telling him that the website is still screwed up.
He replied, saying they are working to try to fix it... So if/when they do that, you should be able to order the Robbins top from there (for $465)
He also asked for more photos of my car so they can use them on their website!!! I told him "fix the website, and I'll send you more photos!!!!"
RIGHT ON DUDE!!!.....people still say that don't they?.....
Old 08-03-2018, 03:55 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

This will add to the sage, I purchased an EZ-on (cheapest price) stayfast top for my '63. It turned out being HARD-on (not the kind I was looking for) and EZ-off. I spent 30+ hrs trying to get it to work, it was just too tight, took it off in 30 minutes. Purchased a stayfast top from Coffman (Al Knoch), which fit perfect. Good luck.
Ya, I install a lot of tops and EZ-on is one I refuse to work with. It is "hard-on". I would stay away from them. It is wort it to spend a little more money to get a top that will fit right. Al Knoch or Key tops are very good. JMO
Old 08-11-2018, 11:07 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Well this is turning into a real cluster f... To recap: last week having read this thread and with Fred's help. I contacted Doug Robbins (Robbins Tops) wanting to purchase a WHITE Haartz Stay Fast top for my 59. He passed me on to Russ Johnson at the Johnson Co in NJ. ( a little digression here, Haartz makes the material and sells it to top manufactures, Robbins, who then make the tops and they sell through distributors, Johnson, although here Robbins may be selling directly through a web site). I get a price from Johnson $625 + $27 shipping. Seems high but I order it. I then recontact Fred, who started this thread and he paid the web site price of $465 + shipping and the web site is convertibletop.com NOT convertibletops.com (notice the "s"). The later one seems to have site problems.

I call convertibletop.com (this site and Robbins have the same address in Oxnard Ca). No response. Last Friday I call Russ and cancel the order. I'm thinking of buying through the web site. At $150 cheaper. In the meantime I start searching around for other top makers. I come across EZ-ON tops, they carry a stayfast "oyster white" in color for a 59 and will send me a sample, which I got and is very close to what I need, however members here suggest I stay away from their tops, the tops are difficult to put on

I called Coffman, they don't advertise that they sell tops, but they do (why not advertise this?). They have TWO Stayfast Whites one in Oyster and another white. If I order the Oyster, Al Knoch will make it, if I order the other white, Key Auto will make it. So I ask to see samples. They will send. Never got the samples. They also estimate price between $400-$500

While I was waiting for the samples, I go back to the Robbins web site, both Robbins directly and the convertabletop.com place. No white tops are listed for a 59, although talking to Fed AND my prior conversation with Doug and Russ, I know that they do make them. But the web site won't allow you to order white. So just for kicks I go check out the 61-62 tops, Robbins now lists FIVE different white available for those years. Ok so now I'd like to get samples, since one maybe closer to what I need for the 59. I email both Robbins and the website, I call nada, leave messages, their customer service is non-existant.

I've never run across a company so reluctant to deal with their customers and in such a convoluted and difficult way. The pricing is haphazard. The only other company I can think of that is not customer friendly is Dr. Rebuild and we all know his story.

I just want to buy a decent Haartz StayFast WHITE top in the $400-$500 range. I'll probably pull the trigger on the Coffman/ Al Knoch top next week. But I am intrigued with the idea that about a month ago, there was no Stayast top in white available for a 59 and now there is possibly 5 different whites available

Stay tuned

Last edited by Steve59; 08-11-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:12 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Hey Steve - I feel your pain (went through it myself).

I guess these are pretty small companies.. Like I told you, the only person at Robbins who was helpful was Doug.. and he's the Director/owner!
The convertibletop.com website is MESSED UP.. I would not order from there. They have vinyl colors listed in the stayfast pages.. that's why it appears there are so many choices... when there are only 1 (or maybe 2). This is exactly how they sent me a vinyl top when I ordered a stayfast top.

I'll just drop this nugget too.. I've heard several installers complain that the AK tops are cut "too short", not leaving enough material to wrap around from front bow. I was at SACC convention last month, and an installer said that if you request a "long cut", they will do this at no extra charge.. I realize this is very convoluted since you are not dealing directly with AK, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Last edited by SDVette; 08-15-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:07 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

White tops are pretty but a PITA to keep clean. And speaking of bird poop. There is also some sort of little bug that can poop on top and it leaves a yellow color. Impossible to clean.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:20 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Yeah that yellow stuff is bee pollen, I believe.. We get it a LOT here in SoCal.
With my white vinyl top, I could usually scrub it off... we will see about the stayfast...

The funny thing is I don't think black would be any better than white for this.. Yellow stains look bad on both!
Old 08-16-2018, 07:25 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Hey Steve - I feel your pain (went through it myself).

I guess these are pretty small companies.. Like I told you, the only person at Robbins who was helpful was Doug.. and he's the Director/owner!
The convertibletop.com website is MESSED UP.. I would not order from there. They have vinyl colors listed in the stayfast pages.. that's why it appears there are so many choices... when there are only 1 (or maybe 2). This is exactly how they sent me a vinyl top when I ordered a stayfast top.

I'll just drop this nugget too.. I've heard several installers complain that the AK tops are cut "too short", not leaving enough material to wrap around from front bow. I was at SACC convention last month, and an installer said that if you request a "long cut", they will do this at no extra charge.. I realize this is very convoluted since you are not dealing directly with AK, but I thought I would mention it anyway.
Yes, I've been reading that other thread also, now I'm really F***. Probably will call Doug again, and see if I can get one directly from him. Carlisle is coming, I may wait till then, since I'm only two hours away.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:07 PM
Steve59
Drifting

got my samples from Coffman, only one inch squares, tough to compare with the car but one is oyster and one is definitely white. They both look like Stayfast but being so small, the white could be vinyl.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 AM
SDVette
Safety Car

2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Posting a 30-day update here for anyone thinking about white stayfast top:

Cleaning: Yes, it picks up dirt and marks pretty easily! I cleaned the compartment as best I could, but it's still finding ways to markup the top. The rubber grommet for the gas gauge sender, for example, was rubbing against the top when folded. I've been meticulous about cleaning any marks or dirt as soon as I see them (using 303 cloth top cleaner). So far I've been able to get all the dirt/marks off.

Flapping: I got an annoying flap at about 40 MPH. It's the top vibrating and hitting the tallest rib of the frame. I took it back to the installer, who tightened the top to try to address this. It helped, but it's not gone. I even tried using tape (temporarily) to seal the front bow to make sure no air is coming through and causing this.. Nope, it's a matter of the thinner material flapping in the wind. I did a deep search on flapping, and saw some stories about the height of the rib, and making sure it's higher than the windshield (creating a down-slope for the top). Yes, mine is. The Vinyl top didn't flap. For a test, I took one of those foam pipe insulators and wrapped it around the tall rib. This not only tightens the top, but also leaves a soft surface for the top to rest against. This eliminated the flapping... I may still have the installer try to tighten the top even more to try to eliminate this.

I'm curious to know if other Stayfast top users have had flapping issues?

Last edited by SDVette; 09-12-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,615 Likes on 2,823 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Mine flaps slightly, but not much of an issue as engine and road noise is louder.

The dirt stains are a whole other issue. Every time I put the top up, I find another dirt mark. Most cleaners either don’t work or I’m afraid to use as they may harm or stain the top. I’ll look for the 303 top cleaner, that may be just the ticket.

Last edited by Factoid; 09-12-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:41 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Posting a 30-day update here for anyone thinking about white stayfast top:

Cleaning: Yes, it picks up dirt and marks pretty easily! I cleaned the compartment as best I could, but it's still finding ways to markup the top. The rubber grommet for the gas gauge sender, for example, was rubbing against the top when folded. I've been meticulous about cleaning any marks or dirt as soon as I see them (using 303 cloth top cleaner). So far I've been able to get all the dirt/marks off.

Flapping: I got an annoying flap at about 40 MPH. It's the top vibrating and hitting the tallest rib of the frame. I took it back to the installer, who tightened the top to try to address this. It helped, but it's not gone. I even tried using tape (temporarily) to seal the front bow to make sure no air is coming through and causing this.. Nope, it's a matter of the thinner material flapping in the wind. I did a deep search on flapping, and saw some stories about the height of the rib, and making sure it's higher than the windshield (creating a down-slope for the top). Yes, mine is. The Vinyl top didn't flap. For a test, I took one of those foam pipe insulators and wrapped it around the tall rib. This not only tightens the top, but also leaves a soft surface for the top to rest against. This eliminated the flapping... I may still have the installer try to tighten the top even more to try to eliminate this.

I'm curious to know if other Stayfast top users have had flapping issues?
I am curious to know how he would tighten the canvas up. The only way I can think of is to remove the stables from the header and pull the canvas tighter. This can cause other problems not to mention ware on the top. Especially if he does it twice.
You may want to ask the installer what is involved in tightening the canvas.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:24 PM
toddnakro
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Staying tuned! It has been a few years. After receiving the 1" square samples from Coffman Corvette, did you buy the white cloth top which was to be made by Key?

Edit: Referring to Steve59's post #67.

Last edited by toddnakro; 08-19-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:10 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by toddnakro
Staying tuned! It has been a few years. After receiving the 1" square samples from Coffman Corvette, did you buy the white cloth top which was to be made by Key?

Edit: Referring to Steve59's post #67.
His post was over 3 years ago. Lets start a new thread on this if theres something to report.

Quick Reply: [C1] Stayfast white convertible top solution found