C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What does "One Owner" really mean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:22 PM
M38A1
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What does "One Owner" really mean?

I've heard so many stories about a "one owner" this or that and the talk about how much more money that first sale of the vehicle brings vs the second, third and subsequent sales. So I started to ponder that a bit and have a few thoughts with way more questions.

A one owner vehicle is cool when you start looking at the C2 vintage vehicles. They are old now, sleek and in their own right fetch far above what they cost when originally purchased. If they are a one owner car after all these years, they've probably been fairly well maintained and not dogged. There's probably some quantity of original documentation still with the vehicle as well. Looking at a 50+ year old vehicle, there's probably more than a few parts which have been replaced due to a variety of reasons. Then there's the question of what were they replaced with? Factory stock/repop/take-off's? High performance goodies? If the engine/tranny/rear-end are all original, is that really a 'good thing'? I'm sure that plays into the equation. I'm wondering if geography plays a factor. Does a life in a summer climate tend to play into the equation as much as a snow-belt vehicle? I'm wondering what the definition of a "survivor" car is in relation to a "one owner" car. And how important is it the prospective new owner can meet and talk with the original owner? Does it even matter?

These are just a few things rolling around in my head tonight as I ponder valuation questions with these wonderful vehicles.

Thoughts?

Last edited by M38A1; 06-29-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: clarification

Popular Reply

06-29-2018, 10:07 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 867 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by M38A1
I've heard so many stories about a "one owner" this or that and the talk about how much more money that first sale of the vehicle brings vs the second, third and subsequent sales. So I started to ponder that a bit and have a few thoughts with way more questions.

A one owner vehicle is cool when you start looking at the C2 vintage vehicles. They are old now, sleek and in their own right fetch far above what they cost when originally purchased. If they are a one owner car after all these years, they've probably been fairly well maintained and not dogged. There's probably some quantity of original documentation still with the vehicle as well. Looking at a 50+ year old vehicle, there's probably more than a few parts which have been replaced due to a variety of reasons. Then there's the question of what were they replaced with? Factory stock/repop/take-off's? High performance goodies? If the engine/tranny/rear-end are all original, is that really a 'good thing'? I'm sure that plays into the equation. I'm wondering if geography plays a factor. Does a life in a summer climate tend to play into the equation as much as a snow-belt vehicle? I'm wondering what the definition of a "survivor" car is in relation to a "one owner" car. And how important is it the prospective new owner can meet and talk with the original owner? Does it even matter?

These are just a few things rolling around in my head tonight as I ponder valuation questions with these wonderful vehicles.

Thoughts?
I bought a survivor '66. One woman owned it for 50 years. It survived with original paint, interior, glass, drivetrain, starter motor, even two of the original T-3 headlights. I believe that having its original 427, M-21, and rear axle is a "good thing". It came with dealer invoice, protect-o-plate, radio instructions, owners manual and envelope. It also came with stories of how she used and enjoyed it. She also named it "Ruby". For some weird reason, I continue to do so. I've owned a few vettes over the years. I really enjoy knowing this cars' story. The car was judged Bloomington Gold Survivor, ran two laps at IMS AND was invited to be in the Corvette Legends display at MCACN. NOT for anything I did, but because of how the original owner loved and preserved the car. I was able to call and leave the original owner a message about how well her "Ruby" did before she passed. It matters to me.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:58 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

There can be one answer to your post title question. The owner of the car must have bought it new and kept it. Anything else is just non sense. I know of one owner cars that where modified and others that kept them stock. Then there are one owner cars that are neglected big POS and ever where in between.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nowhere Man:
Factoid (07-03-2018), M38A1 (06-29-2018), William Buckley (07-03-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 10:07 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 867 Likes on 420 Posts

Thoughts?
I bought a survivor '66. One woman owned it for 50 years. It survived with original paint, interior, glass, drivetrain, starter motor, even two of the original T-3 headlights. I believe that having its original 427, M-21, and rear axle is a "good thing". It came with dealer invoice, protect-o-plate, radio instructions, owners manual and envelope. It also came with stories of how she used and enjoyed it. She also named it "Ruby". For some weird reason, I continue to do so. I've owned a few vettes over the years. I really enjoy knowing this cars' story. The car was judged Bloomington Gold Survivor, ran two laps at IMS AND was invited to be in the Corvette Legends display at MCACN. NOT for anything I did, but because of how the original owner loved and preserved the car. I was able to call and leave the original owner a message about how well her "Ruby" did before she passed. It matters to me.
The following 8 users liked this post by KingRat:
dmaxx3500 (06-30-2018), Jareb (06-30-2018), M38A1 (06-29-2018), ptjsk (07-04-2018), Rich Yanulis (06-30-2018), still cruzin (06-29-2018), William Buckley (07-03-2018), ZRXGreen (07-01-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-30-2018, 07:37 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 533 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

On the other hand, a car with multiple owners are excited about their purchase and try to improve the car. Maybe not so much after 10 or so years with the original owner.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Like most of these euphemisms the term has been construed to mean whatever adds the most perceived value to a car. I've seen cars that bounced around several dealers and wholesale outfits but still claimed to be one-owner. I've seen a car passed to a brother on the owner's demise ... one owner ? Perhaps one family-owned is more accurate ?

And then of course some flipper claims one-owner and no telling what he's stripped off or modified on the car...

Unless it was a verifiable Zora or Mickey Duntov car I wouldn't lose sleep over it...

Still looking for that one-owner, barn-find, no-hit, all numbers matching 427/435hp '67 sidepipe car, black with red stinger and interior that Steve McQueen drove in some movie or other and was the impetus for the song "Deadman's Curve".

I'm sure a few are being "created" even as I type...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-30-2018 at 08:27 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
3JsVette (06-30-2018), Factoid (07-03-2018), ptjsk (07-04-2018), William Buckley (07-03-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 08:38 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Then there are situations like my daily driver (not a Corvette) where it was my management lease car when I was with Ford that I purchased when I left the company. I'm the only person to ever drive the car, yet Ford owned it technically the first year. Does that make it a one owner car - or two owner?

Last edited by bb62; 06-30-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:42 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Like most of these euphemisms the term has been construed to mean whatever adds the most perceived value to a car. I've seen cars that bounced around several dealers and wholesale outfits but still claimed to be one-owner. I've seen a car passed to a brother on the owner's demise ... one owner ? Perhaps one family-owned is more accurate ?

And then of course some flipper claims one-owner and no telling what he's stripped off or modified on the car....
Perfectly stated. One owner can mean one registered owner. The car could bounce around between dealers and be driven on dealer plates and therefore not be DMV registered until it's sold to a retail buyer as still being a "one (registered) owner car".
Old 06-30-2018, 09:50 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

It seems to be just about as meaningful and semantically precise as “matching numbers”.......
Old 06-30-2018, 10:48 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

IMO adds no $ value however I find it more attractive as theres probably less question what the car has been through over the years
Old 06-30-2018, 10:54 AM
M38A1
Cruising

Thanks for all the input!
Old 06-30-2018, 11:36 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
There can be one answer to your post title question. The owner of the car must have bought it new and kept it. Anything else is just non sense. I know of one owner cars that where modified and others that kept them stock. Then there are one owner cars that are neglected big POS and ever where in between.
This is the correct answer, and the only answer. One-owner means owned once from new buy the original purchaser. That status goes away as soon as the car is sold by that person.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:09 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GTOguy
This is the correct answer, and the only answer. One-owner means owned once from new buy the original purchaser. That status goes away as soon as the car is sold by that person.
What if the car outlives the owner? In my case, my father bought the car new, and passed away in 2011, leaving it to me.

I think the OP touched on an important point in the opening post.. KNOWING, for sure, what has been done (and what hasn't been done) to the car.
Anyone who keeps a car (or anything else, for that matter) in good condition for 50+ years is pretty special.
The following users liked this post:
M38A1 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 01:01 PM
M38A1
Cruising

Originally Posted by SDVette
What if the car outlives the owner? In my case, my father bought the car new, and passed away in 2011, leaving it to me.

I think the OP touched on an important point in the opening post.. KNOWING, for sure, what has been done (and what hasn't been done) to the car.
Anyone who keeps a car (or anything else, for that matter) in good condition for 50+ years is pretty special.
...and this might be the case. I know we all have an expiration date, and with Dad's good health/sharp mind and 93+ orbits of the sun that each day is special.

Dad the first Spring of 1965 as the new first owner:

Then again in 2014 where the car is 49 and he's still the owner:

We've got the original carbon copy order form, the original Bill Of Sale, the original bank letter, and all the documents for the glovebox in the plastic pouch (AM/FM user guide, Warranty book/ProtectoPlate, Maintenance guide) two sets of the original keys and the title receipt from 1976 when we moved. My Mom didn't know any better and surrendered the original and prior state title when she registered it here. Oh well, who'd have thought that was a big deal on an 11 year old car at that time?

I'm reasonably sure of the maintenance history for it's life... Dad was an engineer, more specifically many years in engine test and development octane research at Phillips.

Off the top of my head I can think of things that have been replaced over the years and 63K miles to include the radiator, seats/carpet/seatbelts, fuel tank, clock, SS sleeved brake calipers, original clutch, mufflers/pipe, hoses here and there/clamps and top. Every opportunity he had to use a factory part if available, he did. the door edges were resprayed for nicks and the front nose seam/rear tail seam were also reshot from cracking when people either sat on our pushed from those areas. Somebody tried to steal it about 1974 and got one of the rivets buggered up on the S/N plate. There was a rear tire failure about 1993 which resulted in some minor wheel well damage which was professionally repaired. That leaves all the other stuff as original. So it's not a 'perfect' car, but certainly a survivor of sorts that hasn't been molested.

These are some of the bazillion little stories of basically my whole lifetime with the car and the family.
The following 4 users liked this post by M38A1:
59BlueSilver (06-30-2018), DanielJ (06-30-2018), ptjsk (07-01-2018), Rich Yanulis (07-01-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 01:32 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

These are some of the bazillion little stories of basically my whole lifetime with the car and the family.
Yes, this! I'm not saying it adds resale value to the car.. In fact, I hope to never sell it. My son will get it when I take the dirt nap!
But the memories are priceless. After my birth, I rode home from the hospital in my mom's arms in the car!

Yours is a cool story. Enjoy that time with your dad. I wish my dad was able to see his car back on the road.

The following users liked this post:
M38A1 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,607 Likes on 665 Posts

One owner could mean that the owner ran it to the ground and let it sit because it needed so many repairs until the wife made him get rid of it.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:00 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
It seems to be just about as meaningful and semantically precise as “matching numbers”.......
While absolutely true, I still agree with those that there is one definition in the English language of what “one owner” or “matching numbers” means. The fact that so many people make up new interpretations and personal definitions to suit their own purpose makes both terms impossible to believe without personal inspection and verification.

Not to mention that a one owner car could have been badly mistreated by that owner or a matching number car could have just got that block back from the restampers, so the phony descriptions aren’t even necessarily complimentary.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:26 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I see many classified ads for old cars where it stated one owner but their dad bought it new, sold it to his brother for 20 years, then his cousin had it and now he has it. Same family but I don't agree thats one owner. One owner is special for sure. There are some cool, great stories posted on this thread. Thanks for posting.

Get notified of new replies

To What does "One Owner" really mean?

Old 06-30-2018, 09:23 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man

The clue to this answer is "only one owner" means only 1 person has titled the car. Next trick question for the day, does a new car mean no one has owned the car before or the dealer is the first owner.???
Old 06-30-2018, 09:28 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,945 Likes on 4,784 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CorvetteMikeB
The clue to this answer is "only one owner" means only 1 person has titled the car. Next trick question for the day, does a new car mean no one has owned the car before or the dealer is the first owner.???
dealers never "own" a new car the MSO says the car manufacture still "owns" it. if you bought a "new" car with the MSO then your the first owner regardless of what year it is and what year the car is. I just bought a left over 2017 Malibu it was never sold before the 2018 came out so the dealer used it asa demo car. but when I bought it I got the MSO
Old 06-30-2018, 09:29 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

If you run across a car advertised as having 20,000 original miles, is it considered uncouth to ask how many unoriginal miles it has?

Quick Reply: What does "One Owner" really mean?