C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 65 horn button stand question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 09:08 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
All I can tell you is, both ends of that spring contact down in the hole have to be making solid contact. When you tighten the three screws on the top, the "ell" should compress the spring so that it firmly touches both ends.
i ran into this issue when i restored my column. the spring loaded plunger would not move freely and once everything was installed it did not make contact. i took it out, and spun it with some 600grit paper so it moved freely. and lightly sanded my contacts from there up with the same paper, i dont know if maybe there might be a film or coating on these contact surface not allowing them to flow properly?but now my horn now works great. good luck...troy
Old 07-20-2018, 09:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by rick charles
The three screws should be flat heads not rounded ……………………….
Nope. The screws are correct as shown.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:59 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 736 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Nope. The screws are correct as shown.
I hesitate to jump in here but if I am seeing things correctly, and if the front wheels are pointing straight ahead in the OP's pics, the steering shaft and hub are mis-aligned. The mark on the shaft and the hub are aligned with each other but they should be at 12:00 assuming the front end is properly aligned and the steering box is set up correctly and the wheels are straight ahead. I guess the brush and the post on the horn contact are aligned with each other as installed but I don't know if everything will work with the alignment of the shaft, hub and horn contact as is. Pics from my '65 are shown below the OP's pics.
Hope this helps and does not confuse things further.
Dave Z

Old 07-29-2018, 09:19 PM
99Silverbullet
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
CI 8 & 9 Veteran
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Update:

After taking everything off including pulling the hub 20 times, i realized the horn brush wasnt making contact with the ring on the turn signal switch. This was caused by the brush contact not retracting out all the way. I even bought a second one a few weeks ago thinkng the first one was bad and both were sticking. After working it and using some silicone spray its now retracting all the way on its own. After puting everything back together the horn works great!

Quick Reply: [C2] 65 horn button stand question