C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ventilation outlet behind coupe doors; functional?

 
Old 09-18-2018, 03:18 PM
  #21  
wmf62
CF Senior Member
 
wmf62's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Inverness FL
Posts: 17,891
Recieved 681 Likes on 582 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07
Default

Originally Posted by 65hihp View Post
better late than never I guess.
there are some things that I would prefer as never rather than late...

Bill
wmf62 is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 05:13 PM
  #22  
JohnZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Washington Michigan
Posts: 38,006
Recieved 1,003 Likes on 666 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cblankin View Post
I believe 64 and 65 Tankers did not have the blower.
That's correct - my '65 365 A/C Tanker didn't have the vent fan.
JohnZ is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:13 AM
  #23  
mjdart
CF Senior Member
 
mjdart's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Coral Springs Florida
Posts: 650
Recieved 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Default

My '64 AC Coupe has a functional 3 speed fan, it shuts off when the AC is turned on. I normally can't hear the fan running as the N11 exhaust and the L76 engine mute it out.
The Video shows the high 3rd speed setting on the pull ****. The 36 gallon fuel tanker would block the inlet for the fan so there's no way for the fan in those cars!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWWk...ature=youtu.be
Attached Files

Last edited by mjdart; 04-08-2019 at 06:20 AM.
mjdart is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:49 AM
  #24  
59BlueSilver
CF Senior Member
 
59BlueSilver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,769
Recieved 156 Likes on 135 Posts
Default

I like that feature in my 65. I’m sure it was discontinued because it didn’t move enough air to justify the cost, but, IMO, if it moves any air at all it’s gotta help!
59BlueSilver is offline  
The following users liked this post:
mjdart (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:57 PM
  #25  
reno stallion
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: McCloud CA
Posts: 658
Recieved 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Default

reno stallion is online now  
The following users liked this post:
mjdart (04-08-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 12:18 AM
  #26  
68hemi
CF Senior Member
 
68hemi's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Cottonwood AZ
Posts: 4,196
Recieved 539 Likes on 425 Posts
Default

The term astroventilation did not become known until Chevy did away with the vent windows.
68hemi is online now  
Old 04-09-2019, 07:59 AM
  #27  
roadster65
CF Senior Member
 
roadster65's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Posts: 414
Recieved 163 Likes on 100 Posts
Default

Purposeless in 1963, the coupe's so called air outlets behind the doors were restyled and made functional in 1964, at least on the driver's side, where an electric ventilation motor, located in cramped quarters behind the left rear wheel-well, tried somewhat vainly to push out the 1964's bad air. A nice idea, but it was severely limited by the small, three speed motor's weak lungs. The equipment was deleted after 1965.

Pic is taken from Classic Corvette The First Thirty Years by Mike Mueller (p186)


roadster65 is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 08:30 AM
  #28  
59BlueSilver
CF Senior Member
 
59BlueSilver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,769
Recieved 156 Likes on 135 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by roadster65 View Post
Purposeless in 1963, the coupe's so called air outlets behind the doors were restyled and made functional in 1964, at least on the driver's side, where an electric ventilation motor, located in cramped quarters behind the left rear wheel-well, tried somewhat vainly to push out the 1964's bad air. A nice idea, but it was severely limited by the small, three speed motor's weak lungs. The equipment was deleted after 1965.

Pic is taken from Classic Corvette The First Thirty Years by Mike Mueller (p186)

Wonder if you could replace the motor with a stronger one.
59BlueSilver is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 09:42 AM
  #29  
reno stallion
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: McCloud CA
Posts: 658
Recieved 96 Likes on 72 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 68hemi View Post
The term astroventilation did not become known until Chevy did away with the vent windows.
Didn't know what to call it . Made the video about a year ago didn't think I had any thing on at the time. Had the wife come out to make sure I wasn't imagining air coming out of the vents I thought were fake
reno stallion is online now  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:06 AM
  #30  
1snake
CF Senior Member
 
1snake's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 7,664
Recieved 350 Likes on 285 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver View Post
Wonder if you could replace the motor with a stronger one.
There's no need to. The rear blower uses the same size motor and fan that's in the heater. In a correctly operating system, it moves as much or more air than the heater. The video posted above by mjdart shows how they are supposed to work.
1snake is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:11 AM
  #31  
colo63sw
CF Senior Member
 
colo63sw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2002
Location: arvada co
Posts: 2,952
Recieved 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by reno stallion View Post
Didn't know what to call it . Made the video about a year ago didn't think I had any thing on at the time. Had the wife come out to make sure I wasn't imagining air coming out of the vents I thought were fake
That was a cool way to show the vent working (no pun intended).
colo63sw is offline  
The following users liked this post:
reno stallion (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 10:16 AM
  #32  
colo63sw
CF Senior Member
 
colo63sw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2002
Location: arvada co
Posts: 2,952
Recieved 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by roadster65 View Post
Purposeless in 1963, the coupe's so called air outlets behind the doors were restyled and made functional in 1964, at least on the driver's side, where an electric ventilation motor, located in cramped quarters behind the left rear wheel-well, tried somewhat vainly to push out the 1964's bad air. A nice idea, but it was severely limited by the small, three speed motor's weak lungs. The equipment was deleted after 1965.

Pic is taken from Classic Corvette The First Thirty Years by Mike Mueller (p186)

Thanks for posting this. That system is a lot bigger than I imagined. I can see why the pencil pushers were happy to have it gone with the wind.

Is that a drain port in front of the rear wheel?
colo63sw is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:37 AM
  #33  
65GGvert
CF Senior Member
 
65GGvert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Kannapolis NC
Posts: 15,747
Recieved 1,119 Likes on 984 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by colo63sw View Post
Thanks for posting this. That system is a lot bigger than I imagined. I can see why the pencil pushers were happy to have it gone with the wind.

Is that a drain port in front of the rear wheel?
Yes
65GGvert is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 01:25 PM
  #34  
Poorhousenext
CF Senior Member
 
Poorhousenext's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Chattanooga TN
Posts: 1,298
Recieved 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default

The one thing no one has mentioned is why it moved so little air at all speeds.

Number of years back there was a write-up in one of the Corvette magazines I subscribed too, where a gentleman was trying to find out why, although the fan had three speeds, it only ran on low speed in all positions.

He started looking at wiring diagram and found GM had made an error in wiring diagram that if I remember correctly did not allow the fan to run at higher speed when medium and high positions were selected. He figured out the correct wiring needed to make fan run at the 2 higher speeds by, if I remember correctly grounds for those two speeds were not connected, so that when selected fan motor would speed up and pull more air out of interior compartment. The wiring problem was on board located back, that fans wires connected too.

Think this was around 2008-2010 time frame. I know at time the 64 I purchased did not have the rear fan in it, so I picked one up down in Orlando at Old Town show because of artical. 1st time I ever saw Frank's C1. Also still have it, as I went Restomod with car. May even have two, as I think the 2nd 64 coupe I bought has one in pile of parts that came with it when I was unloading them around 4-5 years when I bought it.
Poorhousenext is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 09:34 PM
  #35  
JohnZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Washington Michigan
Posts: 38,006
Recieved 1,003 Likes on 666 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext View Post

Number of years back there was a write-up in one of the Corvette magazines I subscribed too, where a gentleman was trying to find out why, although the fan had three speeds, it only ran on low speed in all positions.

He started looking at wiring diagram and found GM had made an error in wiring diagram that if I remember correctly did not allow the fan to run at higher speed when medium and high positions were selected. He figured out the correct wiring needed to make fan run at the 2 higher speeds by, if I remember correctly grounds for those two speeds were not connected, so that when selected fan motor would speed up and pull more air out of interior compartment. The wiring problem was on board located back, that fans wires connected too..
That article was from Kevin MacKay (owner of Corvette Repair in New York), and was published about 20+ years ago; the wiring from the factory was correct, but there was an error in the factory wiring diagram which would result in a one-speed fan if you used the factory diagram as a reference to make a harness or diagnose a problem.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
CorvetteRearBlowerMotor.doc (2.94 MB, 7 views)
JohnZ is offline  
Old 04-11-2019, 10:42 PM
  #36  
59BlueSilver
CF Senior Member
 
59BlueSilver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,769
Recieved 156 Likes on 135 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1snake View Post
There's no need to. The rear blower uses the same size motor and fan that's in the heater. In a correctly operating system, it moves as much or more air than the heater. The video posted above by mjdart shows how they are supposed to work.
Maybe so, but obviously itís not enough, so why canít a stronger motor of the same dimensions be installed?
Are there supposed to be open vents where cabin air is drawn into the motor?

Last edited by 59BlueSilver; 04-11-2019 at 10:51 PM.
59BlueSilver is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 PM
  #37  
JohnZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Washington Michigan
Posts: 38,006
Recieved 1,003 Likes on 666 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver View Post
Are there supposed to be open vents where cabin air is drawn into the motor?
Cabin air is drawn into the fan housing through the bent piece of chicken wire screen at the back end of the driver's side rear quarter inner panel carpet, and exhausted through the output duct to the roof vents. See attached DZ file.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
RearBlowerTrimout.pdf (704.3 KB, 6 views)
JohnZ is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnZ:
59BlueSilver (04-14-2019), Factoid (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 11:42 PM
  #38  
59BlueSilver
CF Senior Member
 
59BlueSilver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Arlington TX
Posts: 2,769
Recieved 156 Likes on 135 Posts
Default

Yes, found it. I had to get way in the back and I could see the screen. Still think it’s a good design, just like to know how to improve it.
59BlueSilver is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ventilation outlet behind coupe doors; functional?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: