C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Insurance claim

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:50 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Jriver

Anain, it doesn’t matter if someone thinks the damage was avoidable. If you have collision coverage it must be paid.
People often hit objects that otherwise would be avoidable that’s the reason to carry collision coverage.
if you back into a mail box, turn sharply and sideswipe a pole or leave your car in neutral and it rolls into a tree they are all payable under collision.
As a side note if you did not collect on your policy you would not be surcharged and it doesn’t mater if it’s on your record.
That is my understanding; somehow people think even a phone call to their company to discuss an incident is going to result in an asterisk beside their name or increased premiums..

Old 09-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Several years I hit a pallet that had fallen off a truck. Since the car in front of me hit the pallet first and kicked it up in the air before it hit my new Vette my deductible was waved. If I had hit it even thought it was not my fault that it was laying in the road I would have had to pay the deductible. That is what your insurance should have done but the Good Hands People
always look for an out
Also I thought the reason for using an agent ( I don’t) was that they look out for your interest instead of the insurance co. Interest???
Old 09-24-2018, 09:08 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
This was an unavoidable object in the middle of the road late at night in a dip in the road where the headlights did not pick it up until it was too late . Why would that be the same as me just being careless and wrecking into somebody where I would be responsible ? In my case it was unavoidable damage to my car and should have been covered by comprehensive , but instead State Farm didn't pay anything and still put it on my 50 year perfect record as a collision and said that they couldn't remove it .
Well, we could argue about whether or not one should drive at a pace that doesn't allow for a safe stop within the car's headlamp coverage, but my main point here was that State Farm seems to have handled your claim within the standards of most insurers. State Farm was not an outlier in classifying your accident as a collision claim instead of a comprehensive claim.

And it isn't about fault, anyway. If your can gets hit in a parking lot by a hit and run vehicle, that's a collision claim. In a few states you might be able to claim it as uninsured motorist, but in many you cannot without ID of the other vehicle. Of course, the loss would be not considered an at-fault accident, but you'd still be out your deductible.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:32 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That is my understanding; somehow people think even a phone call to their company to discuss an incident is going to result in an asterisk beside their name or increased premiums..
That is almost exactly what happened to me Frankie except it wasn't a phone call . My wife was with me when we hit the object and she didn't see the object in the road either until we hit it and we just went in to talk to the agent to get advice on what to do . The second in line office worker took the information and immediately started to type it into the computer . She then started to tell us that if they paid out on the claim it would go against my 50 year perfect record as a collision so we said no forget it , so we didn't get a dime because of being honest and telling what actually happened . I could have said someone backed into my car in a parking lot and left . But my gripe was that once we told what happened and she typed it into the computer , she said that the information was already into the system and it would go on my record as a collision and couldn't be removed even though we didn't get paid . The money came out of my pocket and I did the repair . This was the second time in the fifty years of having State Farm that something similar happened except someone hit me and State Farm " Like A Good Neighbor " didn't pay . More excuses !

Old 09-24-2018, 09:34 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Insurance companies differ in the way they handle everything from claims to basic questions about possible claims.

I suspect (and hope) that collector car insurance is different, but something as simple as a question about a claim can, in some instances, cause a rate adjustment.

I am dealing with this right now. MY 2018 Hyundai Elanta was hit in the side in a Red Lobster parking lot while my wife and I were inside having dinner. There were no notes, no cameras, not witnesses, nothing.

I contacted my insurance company (MetLife) and explained the situation. I also told the adjuster that the damage was minor enough that the repair "might" be less than my deductible ($500).

I got one estimate from a traditional body shop for $1140 (and the repair would be perfect). I got another estimate from a paintless repair system place for $400 (and the repair would be about 90%).

I went with the paintless repair. The car turned out fine, and you have to look to see where the residual damage is. I figured that the car is a daily driver, and it will get it's share of nicks and dents anyway.

I have not had an insurance claim since 2007 when a rock flew up and landed in the middle of my wife's 3 week old Pontiac Solstice. It left a 1 inch long scratch through the paint and into the primer. We had a different insurance company then. And we did take a hit on insurance because of this. The insurance company has to blame someone, and if they can't blame another party, then it gets blamed on you.

Anyway, I called MetLife back and told them to close out the file, that I was not filing a claim. I then specifically asked if this was going to count against me. The adjuster's response was that I did actually file a claim, even if I retracted it afterwards, and the potential rate change would not be that much anyway.

Policies and procedures vary from company to company,
Old 09-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well - some are good and some suck out loud....

I called Progressive (don't know what I was thinking about) for insurance on my non-Corvette vehicles and they accused me of having an undeclared driver living in my home who had a bad driving record. Guess who it was ?

The uninsured @hole that hit my Corvette two years earlier.....how he got conjoined into my household I'll never know.

Phone calls, etc.. didn't help....they wanted notarized statements, proof of residency for two years and other ridiculous BS.

GEICO signed me up in 10 minutes over the phone...
Old 09-24-2018, 07:35 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I went to the body shop today and he is going to write an estimate and then I will call the insurance company.
Joe
Old 09-25-2018, 07:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I don't know where some of the angst comes from...
Insurance companies don't "...have to blame someone"....

I've had three windshields replaced over the years - one just recently in my 2016 Durango and on my 61 Corvette that was a $2,700 repair.

There is no deductible you have to pay for this since its a safety issue and my rates didn't go up one bit - and the insurance company wasn't on the prowl for a guilty party...

Things happen - claim it Joe...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-25-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I recently retired from a very large insurance (actually financial services company) in San Antonio. Auto rates are going up for everyone and not simply due to individual claims. A $300 fender bender is a thing of the past. Proximity sensors, cameras, and other high tech gadgets coupled with substantially higher costs for materials, paint, and labor make that $300 charge from the past $3,000+. Distracted drivers multiply the incident rate (claims per 100,000). It’s a simple math problem.

Always contact your insurance company to discuss options. If you are treated like Frankie was, you made a bad choice on your insurer. A good agent will advise you on your best course of action and tell you the consequences of a claim. Their job is to represent you fairly.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:32 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't know where some of the angst comes from...
Insurance companies don't "...have to blame someone"....

I've had three windshields replaced over the years - one just recently in my 2016 Durango and on my 61 Corvette that was a $2,700 repair.

There is no deductible you have to pay for this since its a safety issue and my rates didn't go up one bit - and the insurance company wasn't on the prowl for a guilty party...

Things happen - claim it Joe...
In Florida a damaged windshield is required to be fixed by the insurance company at no cost.

That is not true in most states.

I grew up in Orlando, and had a couple of windshields replaced at no cost. When I moved to Virginia, and had to have a windshield replaced, I was surprised to find out that it was coming out of my pocket.

Insurance companies vary, as does their approach to how they handle claims. But they are most definitely looking for someone to blame / make pay for any claim.

Insurance agents / adjusters work for the insurance company. They may, and often do, provide solutions that are in the client's best interest, but never forget that they do not work for you.

Last edited by emccomas; 09-25-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by jv04
In Florida a damaged windshield is required to be fixed by the insurance company at no cost.

That is not true in most states.

I grew up in Orlando, and had a couple of windshields replaced at no cost. When I moved to Virginia, and had to have a windshield replaced, I was surprised to find out that it was coming out of my pocket.

Insurance companies vary, as does their approach to how they handle claims. But they are most definitely looking for someone to blame / make pay for any claim.

Insurance agents / adjusters work for the insurance company. They may, and often do, provide solutions that are in the client's best interest, but never forget that they do not work for you.
With respect to agents, it's a little more complicated than that.

Most agents are agents of the insurer and as such they work for the insurer. That's both good and bad--it can be bad in that their interest aligns with the insurer, not necessarily the insured. It's also good in that since they are an agent of the insurer, if they make you a promise (that you can prove), it's binding on the insurer (with limited exceptions).

But some agents are agents of the insured, not the insurer (sometimes they are referred to as brokers). They represent your interests, not the insurer. But if they make you a promise, the insurer is not necessarily bound by it.

As with insurers, there are good agents and bad agents. Most of the ones I've dealt with are mainly interested in selling a policy and don't really understand what they are selling nor are they helpful when the claim occurs. I am often amazed at the bad advice provided by agents (selling a policy that's not suitable for the insured, telling an insured not to file a claim when a claim is the smart move, etc.).

Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Sorry for your unfortunate accident, but it's a good thing you're insured with American Modern. They are good to work with.

My adjustor was Paul Nabor, and he's a straight up man. I wouldn't hesitate to call him and ask for his advise on how to handle this situation.

Pat
Old 09-25-2018, 10:15 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

We are conjoining 'run-of-the-mill' insurance claims for home/daily drivers with classic car insurance methinks. Classic car insurers know darn well their profits rise and fall on their reputation.....they are not in a "numbers game" on the scale of a GEICO or State Farm where they advertise heavily, offer first-sign-up low premiums to the masses to get a huge market share - then, so what if a few clients are pizzed-off the way a claim is handled...?

Collector car insurance are in a highly competitive, niche market segment where word of mouth and reputation are paramount. In my case the other uninsured party gave NCM little chance of collecting their outlay. I could not detect that that changed the level of service and quality of repair I received in even the tiniest regard. My repairs were executed to a meticulous level, at significant expense, without any question from NCM, including a supplemental claim for hidden damage that, alone, was prob more money than most here will ever claim.

The result is a happy customer that recommends them wholeheartedly at every opportunity.....and I'd daresay they've signed up a dozen or more people based on the recounting of my experience with them.

Of course, adjusters act in the best interests of their employer, in the case of classic car insurance that includes an end result being a happy customer who is piloting a car around that is a clear testament that they stand behind their clients' needs.

Finally - don't gainsay the value of having a cyber-presence in the hobby. Plaidside is a 15 year member here and highly regarded and in the automobile business himself. Insurers (some of them anyway) monitor this forum. You think they want Joe publicly unhappy ? HINT: the answer is one word with two letters.

And, no I don't get a commission...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-25-2018 at 10:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
plaidside (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:01 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree with your Frankie, there is a big difference in the way your daily grocery getter gets handled vs. how your collector car gets handled.

Quick Reply: Insurance claim