C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Steering the easy way out or not

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:33 PM
Eric Sakai
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering the easy way out or not

Hello All:

I installed a R&P steering on my 58 and found out front suspension is worn-out. Going at speed on Freeway, car moves a little left or right from hitting rough ground but trying to make corrections by turning wheel a bit makes car move over too much.
Alignment shop can replace font suspension and king-pin bushings, everything except the bushing insert and cross-shaft in the upper tower of the font cross-member.
I'm not sure if this will end up with a really good results?
Second, I wonder if going back to the original steering box will make it more pleasant to drive, because of less sensitive steering input (or higher steering ratio)?
Finally, how difficult is it to orientate the steering box pit-man arm and 3rd arm to the drag-link, with the motor and motor mounts in the way?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Sakai
Hello All:

I installed a R&P steering on my 58 and found out front suspension is worn-out. Going at speed on Freeway, car moves a little left or right from hitting rough ground but trying to make corrections by turning wheel a bit makes car move over too much.
Alignment shop can replace font suspension and king-pin bushings, everything except the bushing insert and cross-shaft in the upper tower of the font cross-member.
Second, I wonder if going back to the original steering box will make it more pleasant to drive, because of less sensitive steering input (or higher steering ratio)?
Finally, how difficult is it to orientate the steering box pit-man arm and 3rd arm to the drag-link, with the motor and motor mounts in the way?

Thanks,
Eric
I have rack and pinion power steering in my 57 and I would never go back to stock steering . Get your suspension rebuilt and you will be very happy . My suspension also has a little ( very little ) play but it still handles great . I'm rebuilding everything this winter .

Old 09-26-2018, 08:54 AM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Sakai
Hello All:

Thanks,
Eric
The easy but expensive fix is an aftermarket front end. http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/produc...nt_steer.shtml

The harder but cheaper fix is to replace the crossmember or repair the inserts. I had the same issue as you and I was able to find a pristine 48-54 chev. crossmember . to replace my worn one.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:49 AM
Drothgeb
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Depending on which pump and which rack you have, there’s an inexpensive part that reduces the power steering pump pressure. It help’s correct the too light and overly responsive feel when a GM pump is used with the Mustang II racks. Summit and Jegs has them.

I rebuilt my front end at the same time that I added power rack and pinion. It drives great!

Get notified of new replies

To Steering the easy way out or not

Quick Reply: [C1] Steering the easy way out or not