C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Thoughts on this 65? Considering an offer.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:43 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 68hemi
Well, apparently it was not an issue for the judges that awarded it two different top fights.
Chapter judging is more forgiving for "correctness" than Regional or National Flight Judging.

Last edited by 1snake; 11-20-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
mike coletta (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 07:30 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

The beauty of this thread, and hopefully value to the OP, is the range of different experiences and expectations. I posted non-original, non-numbers matching examples given the OP indicated he would paint it a different color. There are typically four different categories of Corvettes available:

1. All original, numbers matching which depending on rarity and condition range from the mid-50’s to millions.
2. Mostly original, noms or slightly modified over the years. Perhaps a new carb, steering wheel, headers, flared wheel wells etc. usually considered a driver and difficult or overly expensive to return to completely original, they can be found from the 30’s to the 80’s for a big block car.
3. Mild resto-mods. Perhaps a new frame, aftermarket suspension/steering upgrades, engine changes, interior upgrades or modifications for racing or competition and almost impossible to return to stock. Pricing is difficult as they are typically not worth the money invested unless you find that individual who shares your style, but typically range from $60’s to upper $100k.
4. All out resto-mods. Aftermarket frames, LS engines, 6 or 8 speed transmissions, fancy suspension systems, body mods, modern interiors, the sky is the limit. Rarely found for under $100k, they can range into the $300k’s.

Frankly, my preference is #3, but I respect all categories and the people who prefer them. Of the dozens of cars I’ve owned/built #3 is almost exclusively the result. While degrees of originality don’t make much sense to me as they will rarely be able to become category #1 (all original, but nom for example) and all fall into my category #2, I know that some people love the hunt and pursuit of originality and that’s cool. We can debate the categories and prices, but this is my personal experience and I urge the OP to figure out what is important to him. It will make his search much easier.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:33 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by JohanPIFU
I am considering making an offer and would love the thoughts of the community. Thank you in advance!

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...fmhKRAqpPdKdJw
Nice car (like the bumper sticker)

Old 11-21-2018, 11:06 AM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 364 Posts

Fun to read the varying opinions on what someone else things you should do. I would suggest deciding which category you fall into.
Are you looking for a car you can drive, or are looking at a car as an investment?

Many love a car that almost exclusively sits in the garage and is trailered back and forth to shows between thourough diaper wipe downs, with little driving ever, as not to hurt the value of the car by driving it.

Others like to keep a very nice car that they can drive, and upgrade certain things for driveability.

If you are looking to drive the car, buying a perfect show car probably isn't a wise choice, but they're are many, many very original drivers that aren't perfect show cars, but be patient, & you'll find the perfect car for you & the longer you take, the more educated you will become about your purchase, so being patient will only help you make a wise choice.

Sounds like this guy is trying to get the pay day of a perfect show car selling price, but for a car that is far from a perfect show car. He is seeking an impulse buyer.

Last edited by Rob_64-365; 11-21-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:17 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 1snake
Chapter judging is more forgiving for "correctness" than Regional or National Flight Judging.
The point of posting the info on the blue car was to give the OP an idea of what else is out there for comparsion of a like priced car. The car is a 25K original mile car with original paint. Do you really think there is something wrong with the underside of the car without seeing it in person? I sent the seller of the car an email and we will see if he responds.

Just answer this question, for the same money would your rather have the blue car or the OPs originally posted white car?
Old 11-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Blue car hands down.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:01 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

You have to remember this car is for sale in Mountain View, there is an unofficial Bay Area tax applied to everything. I lived there for 5 years and bought 2 Corvettes during that time. None of the local cars I looked at were reasonably priced. On any given day, 1000's of Apple/Google/Facebook executives wake up and might decide they want a classic car. I worked with a guy that wanted a C1 on Monday and overpayed for one on Thursday, to him it was still a deal compared to buying another new BMW/Merc/Porsche and copping the depreciation. The market is just fundamentally different, convenience beats price every time. I flew to Phoenix for my convertible and saved at least 10k compared to buying locally plus it was a lovely drive back !

With respect to the license plates, although I got the car from Phoenix, it was from a relative of the current owner and lived its entire life in the LA area before he passed away 2 years earlier. It still had the black plates with it and came with an original title in an original DMV envelope post marked 1964 showing the same plate number. He also had several registrations dating back to the 60's and service receipts showing that plate number. This is the only way I would believe a car came with its current plates, its just too easy to get an old set of black plates and put them on.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:19 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

The point of posting the info on the blue car was to give the OP an idea of what else is out there for comparsion of a like priced car. The car is a 25K original mile car with original paint. Do you really think there is something wrong with the underside of the car without seeing it in person? I sent the seller of the car an email and we will see if he responds.

Just answer this question, for the same money would your rather have the blue car or the OPs originally posted white car?
Without inspecting both cars, I can't answer that and that was the purpose of my original post. You can't tell a cars value based on pictures and opinions. BTW, the frame on the blue car shows an awful lot of deep rust pitting.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:49 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Without inspecting both cars, I can't answer that and that was the purpose of my original post. You can't tell a cars value based on pictures and opinions. BTW, the frame on the blue car shows an awful lot of deep rust pitting.
You are skirting the issue/question. Just look at the info/pictures you have to go by like everyone else in this thread and answer the question.

BTW, I guess you are saying you don't put any faith in the chapter judges that TWICE gave the blue car top flights and laid eyes on the car personally vs. your condemnation of the car from pictures?
Old 11-21-2018, 06:09 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

You are skirting the issue/question. Just look at the info/pictures you have to go by like everyone else in this thread and answer the question.

BTW, I guess you are saying you don't put any faith in the chapter judges that TWICE gave the blue car top flights and laid eyes on the car personally vs. your condemnation of the car from pictures?
I refuse to make an uninformed decision and pictures don't tell the whole story. I've been a NCRS member for over 30 years and have judged a car or two in that time. Even though that frame looks very rough, it would only be a condition deduction and certainly not enough to prevent a blue ribbon. As you probably know, flight judging compares a car to a known standard. Unfortunately, that standard is a mass produced car of mediocre quality, especially concerning panel fitment, gaps and paint. Getting a blue ribbon, especially at the chapter level, no way implies that the car is perfect or even close to it.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:59 PM
68hemi
Race Director

I refuse to make an uninformed decision and pictures don't tell the whole story. I've been a NCRS member for over 30 years and have judged a car or two in that time. Even though that frame looks very rough, it would only be a condition deduction and certainly not enough to prevent a blue ribbon. As you probably know, flight judging compares a car to a known standard. Unfortunately, that standard is a mass produced car of mediocre quality, especially concerning panel fitment, gaps and paint. Getting a blue ribbon, especially at the chapter level, no way implies that the car is perfect or even close to it.
Well, it is your right not to give your opinion.

If you have been an NCRS member for over 30 years then I am guessing you may have bought an old Corvette or something like that long before the Internet through Hemmings or like source waiting weeks for pictures and a written or phone description just as I and many of the older guys here on the forum. If this is the case then I think your refusal to answer a simple question about which car you would rather buy for the same money with the descriptions indicated is a cop out.

It really makes no difference as others have already commented and it is simple common sense that a 65 or 66 with a 350 h.p. engine and two CHAPTER top flights will certainly bring more money than a 250 h.p. un-judged car any day of the week.

BTW I think the blue car was fairly price (as evidenced by the 1 month selling time) vs. the overprice 65 car.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:40 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Some of it depends on population of the areas the plates were distributed. An early '63 that was sold new in '62 in CA would have had a yellow plate, and it would have been replaced a bit later. A K prefix would be late '63-early '64, IMO. I have seen 1963-issue black plates on 1967-68 cars (A-prefix) that were sold new in remote areas with low populations. The plates simply sat until issued. In 57 years of living in CA, have really not seen it work the other way, unless the car had its original plate stolen, or was imported into the state at a later date. I've had several cars of 1965-'66 vintage that had later issue plates (V-Z prefix) and all of these vehicles came from out of state. My '65 GTO has a '66 plate (R prefix) because it was sold new in Washington and came to CA in 1966 when the owner relocated.
My 67 - which I bought from the original owner in 1971. - has its original issue plates beginning with the letter “Y”. I knew the car and owner from new. That’s my observation after 58 years in California (out of 69 years total).

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 65? Considering an offer.