C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Here's a cure for those 63 issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 11:41 AM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man

at least Chevy got it right for 64
Nope, not till 65
Old 01-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,120 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Here's a cure for those 63 coupe issues that was readily available in '63:
The following users liked this post:
happymike63 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by emdoller
I never understood the fascination with the split window coupe.

Is it because of it being one year only hence rarity or do owners really prefer the look?

Ed
that makes two Ed. Its no more rare then any other model Corvette. And Corvettes were not the first one to use the design I would never pay a dime more for a 63 coupe then a 64+ coupe if all was equal
scotty t (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:16 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
Here's a cure for those 63 coupe issues that was readily available in '63:
I agree.......If I wanted a coupe, I would buy one

happymike63 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:34 PM
scotty t
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 104 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Modified

I want mid year coupe BAD, I wouldn't pay a penny more for a 63. They are sharp but not that special.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Nearly as bad, and was discussed in the same magazine article in the beginning of this thread was the "mudding in" of the 63 hood depressions.

Once done that mod is more money and work that the reclaimed hood is worth...trying to grind the filler out of the depressions and faithfully reproduce the "double" depressions is not something I would want to tackle..
Old 01-24-2019, 01:00 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Is it because of it being one year only hence rarity or do owners really prefer the look?

Ed
Seems like history provides the answer. The ones that bought a coupe in '63 had to take what was offered. When 1964 offered something different, they bought that design. In the meantime, in spite of the cost of the job, some/many decided they liked the later model look better and changed the cars.

Sometime later, after that model year, the word got out that the '63 coupe was somehow exotic, valuable, expensive, etc. Kinda' like the original engine thing. Both surfaced about the same time. All make believe.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by MikeM
Seems like history provides the answer. The ones that bought a coupe in '63 had to take what was offered. When 1964 offered something different, they bought that design. In the meantime, in spite of the cost of the job, some/many decided they liked the later model look better and changed the cars.

Sometime later, after that model year, the word got out that the '63 coupe was somehow exotic, valuable, expensive, etc. Kinda' like the original engine thing. Both surfaced about the same time. All make believe.
The first Sting Ray and the first Corvette coupe combined with the first C2 design and that awesome, awesome little piece of whimsical fiberglass between the rear windows adds real "put it in the bank" value - nothing make believe about it...

Its like saying the Mona Lisa's mysterious smile adds nothing to the painting...

BABY 63 (02-12-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
that awesome, awesome little piece of whimsical fiberglass between the rear windows adds real "put it in the bank" value - nothing make believe about it...
Its like saying the Mona Lisa's mysterious smile adds nothing to the painting...
Frank, I agree with your analogy..........well said.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:53 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

The first Sting Ray and the first Corvette coupe combined with the first C2 design and that awesome, awesome little piece of whimsical fiberglass between the rear windows adds real "put it in the bank" value - nothing make believe about it...

You are talking today (after the fact) after some carnival barkers have gotten hold of the situation.

My response to Emdollar simply pointed out that there was no particular fascination with a '63 coupe in '63, '64,'65 and later.as evidenced by some owners hacking the back window out of their '63 coupe and others simply trading them in for the later body styles.

What is not factual about this?

Whenever the bankers have milked the hobby for all they can get out of the '63, they['ll move on to something else and guess what? One day, even the '64 might bring top dollar because???????

A fad is just smoke and mirrors.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:57 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Sorry Frankie, but, in my book, "value" has very little to do with what you "put in the bank" and everything to do with enjoyment. We talk about the cost of the car here incessantly, to the detriment of the hobby and our real purpose for having these cars. I don't much enjoy the stocks I own, even when (unlike the last couple of months) they increase in dollar value...they still are a 'worthless' commodity, in terms of enjoyment.

If it weren't for all these guys trying make a buck off of these cars, half of the old Vettes in existence wouldn't have been adulterated into more "valuable" versions...

Mike
scotty t (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:06 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Ed
Both.
silver837 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 04:06 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Back when they were simply " used cars " the 63s were no different than the 4-6 cars. 67s being a bit more refined climbed the retail sale list a bit higher . I paid more for the 64 coupe ( plain jane 300 four speed model ) than any of the 63 coupes I had or still have. Its not till the bankers and numbers people made a fuss about the one year pieces and of course the rear glass that values took to the sky. Today the 3s are definitely on the wanted list and command more money. Even the driver models like mine are in the 5k+ range over like condition later models. Scan some of the advertised parts noting the ridiculous values placed on them, especially stainless trim. The restomod people actively search for them . Properly done they ring the bell way north of 100k. I just favor the mid year coupe design and have a couple extra in the event they " wear out ".
Old 01-24-2019, 04:43 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
Hard to imagine today, but this mod was not an indignity in the 60s and early 70s, but a popular way to improve rearward visibility and update the looks. Lots of those in SoCal back then. Not a bad way to go, really.
I have been playing with these cars for over 45 years and have never seen one on the east coast must have been So Cal. thing.
Mark
Old 01-24-2019, 05:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
Sorry Frankie, but, in my book, "value" has very little to do with what you "put in the bank" and everything to do with enjoyment. We talk about the cost of the car here incessantly, to the detriment of the hobby and our real purpose for having these cars. I don't much enjoy the stocks I own, even when (unlike the last couple of months) they increase in dollar value...they still are a 'worthless' commodity, in terms of enjoyment.

If it weren't for all these guys trying make a buck off of these cars, half of the old Vettes in existence wouldn't have been adulterated into more "valuable" versions...

Mike
Semantics my friend. We are in agreement. Few things excite me as much as plopping down in the Corvette’s seat cranking up Steppenwolf and then, “...head out on the highway lookin’ for adventure “

Cant put a price on that.
Vettrocious (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:28 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

I do remember the young girls mostly preferred the convertibles back then, not the coupes.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:26 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MikeM
I do remember the young girls mostly preferred the convertibles back then, not the coupes.
I just remember coming home from the beach in a 63 coupe with a girl still in her bikini, and having some poor old semi driver run off the road into the weeds 'cause he was craning his neck to look into my car rather than watching the lane he was in disappear... If I'd only had a convertible, he wouldn't have had to peer around that split...

Get notified of new replies

To Here's a cure for those 63 issues

Old 01-24-2019, 07:58 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I have owned 6 mid year coupes , zero convertibles. I did pass on some good values , but never intrigued by the design. I bought cars I wanted to retain, not flip for a buck. In the midwest choices are limited as many could not afford a car to store in the harsh winter months , lasting half the year it seems . Few of my friends ventured to the west coast to buy a classic in the early eighties. Convertibles were always higher valued until one looks at current auction reports. Personal preference again , I believe a red on red split window with polished stainless trim is the holy grail of Corvette design. It's pure magic with curved lines , an unmistakable European influence and American horse power. What is the most asked question on the subject of Corvettes, .... is it a split window ? Admirers not knowing a 63 from a 73 heard the iconic description that captivates a conversation. Today reality says one will pay more for the pie tins on the hood and the two pice rear glass if your in the market for a mid year coupe. Purchased my first one in 1978. Will never be without one as long as I know my name .
Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 PM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

I simply enjoy the look of a split window. Pie tins and non functional vents same deal----just some of the futuristic/optimistic styling of the era.

The following 2 users liked this post by 426 Hemi:
silver837 (01-27-2019), Zoomin (01-26-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:37 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Ed
I bought my first split window in the 90s because I preferred the look. I bought my current one because I regretted selling the first one. I haven’t sold it for the profit because I still like the look and would just go buy another.

The fact it’s a one year only iconic car is a nice plus.

Quick Reply: [C2] Here's a cure for those 63 issues