C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Widow's 63 back on the market

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:46 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

More power to the buyer. He can flip it, burn it, drive it, or use it as a chicken coop, it is his to do as he pleases.

Also, I have never had an issue titling cars from states such as Alabama that do not issue titles on older vehicles. It is no big deal, walk in with registration and signed bill of sale and walk out with a new title in my name.
The following users liked this post:
1snake (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:18 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Most on this thread see it as no problem and are not so easily offended.
It doesn't appear to me that the seller is the one with a "crap attitude".
tuxnharley (02-20-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:44 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

It appears that the C2 Forum has its own Miss Manners wanna be, lecturing about “crap attitude “ in materials that were merely quoted here from another source and actually then redrafting that material!
1snake (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Too much drama here. Tired of this story.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:24 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

As to the car in this thread - nobody will convince me the man bought the car and "suddenly" discovered he had too many projects - I think a flip was in the cards from the outset. That's fine - but not my favorite sort of hobbyist if he even deserves the title..
Uh I think you've posted many a time your father had a used car lot, no? So what's the difference, the guy buys a car sells it for a profit, happens every single day in America. I don't get the classic flipper thing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Robert61:
1snake (02-19-2019), sidepipe seeker (02-26-2019), tuxnharley (02-19-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 01:21 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Thanks for "getting it" (unlike some)....here is how I would have done it:

"This car was bought legally via a BIll of Sale in Alabama as they don't title antique vehicles, check with your state DMV on how to register it where you live. Once you know that you can get the car registered and titled I'll be glad to work with you on the purchase"

So easy not to exhibit a crap attitude...
Really? Because the guy is just trying to warn the potential buyer? He just wants the potential buyer to understand the limitations of the sale.

Originally Posted by 1snake
It doesn't appear to me that the seller is the one with a "crap attitude".
Yes, I agree.
tuxnharley (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 02:18 AM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,230 Likes on 516 Posts

Is there an original FS Thread for this sale on the forum somewhere ?

Originally Posted by jv04
It looks like the 63 that I just helped the widow sell is back on the market, at a substantial price increase.

Here is the Facebook Marketplace ad from Birmingham, AL

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6697750204553/

Seller is asking $19550.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:25 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Most on this thread see it as no problem and are not so easily offended.
Not offended. Just recognize a smart alec seller with a bad attitude toward everyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skid Row Joe:
Frankie the Fink (02-20-2019), mcb55-210 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:22 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I represented the seller (The Widow) in the deal, and I have absolutely no problems with the situation.

Maybe he did buy it to flip it. Go for it. The car is no longer deteriorating in the middle of a farm, and he did "sort of" assemble the car, so he put some work into it.

I have dealt with the buyer before, he is a good guy as far as I am concerned.

This may be the same situation as the widow's 1953 that she sold. The buyer had it completely restored, then sold it. I think he made about $20K on the deal. Good for him, the car is now back to being a nicely restored a driving Corvette.

And I fully understand his statement about the title and registration of the car. He is telling any potential buyers to make sure THEY understand whet THEIR state requires to get the car registered / titled. That is not his problem. He is selling the car with a Bill of Sale ONLY. No registration, no title, just a Bill of Sale (which he told me will be notarized).

Now, a little bit of Alabama vehicle registration / title history.

For many years, cars made before 1975 did not get titled in Alabama. They were bought and sold on a vehicle registration only. And if the car was sold to another person in Alabama, the Bill of Sale did not even need to be notarized.

Other states required more documentation for cars coming out of Alabama, but within Alabama, that was it.

A recent (4-5 years ago) change to Alabama law now says that cars 35 years old and older do not get titled. So it is not a moving target. This is 2019, so cars made in 1984 and earlier no longer need a title. Next year is will be 1985.

Alabama also passed a law that said that all cars that get registered in Alabama (which is the paperwork that makes the car legal to drive on Alabama streets) must have proof of insurance before they are registered.

You can imagine what that did to us that deal in old, un-titled, ,non-running cars. NO title means no way to transfer ownership WITHOUT putting insurance on the car so we could get a current Alabama registration. The widow has gone through this many times when selling a car to an out of state buyer.

I am trying to get some sort of no-tag registration process set up so that we do not have to put insurance on cars for a day in order to sell non running vehicles. I am personally acquainted with the Speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives, and he understands the situation, but this is not a high priority for him or the legislature. I keep plugging away at it.

Most other states require a CURRENT REGISTRATION in the seller's name, and a notarized Bill of Sale. That will get you a title in any other state.

In order to get a current registration, she had to put auto insurance on a non-running car until she got it registered (and yes, she also got a tag with it that she had no use for). She would then immediately cancel the insurance, and get a notarized Bill of Sale.

All of this effort was costing her about $60 per car, which we added to the price of the car, and told the buyer about it upfront.

The seller of the 63 convertible is trying to avoid that hassle, and it is a hassle.

If he sells the car to someone else in Alabama, he can avoid that hassle. And he also told me in a private email that he would assist an out of state buyer, but the buyer would have to pay the costs of getting the current registration, etc.

What is comes down to is what does YOUR state require, and the seller is saying it is not his responsibility to figure that out, it is the buyer responsibility. I agree with him.
tuxnharley (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Robert61
Uh I think you've posted many a time your father had a used car lot, no? So what's the difference, the guy buys a car sells it for a profit, happens every single day in America. I don't get the classic flipper thing.
Because its disingenuous ?

This guy knew exactly what he was doing from the minute he engaged on this deal....the subsequent lamenting about "too big a project" is a hoot - take the blinders off... Then alienating potential buyers with a snarky ad could have been prevented by some different wording (I made a suggestion above). Yes, a flipper and not the sharpest tool in the shed based on his ad.

I've sold cars for widows and had to jump through some hoops to do it such as getting relatives and heirs to sign off that they were giving up their interest in the car and proving the husband was dead since the title was in both names. Its just part of what you do when selling a car in some states. II took 1/2 day and some phone calls and paperwork. If such things are too much of a hassle then this guy should reconsider his career choices.

i don't give a rodent's posterior why he bought it or what he does with it.....the car is off on a new journey and saved from rotting away (maybe)..

I don't care for his style - that's my opinion and this is America.....done here...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-20-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:24 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Not offended. Just recognize a smart alec seller with a bad attitude toward everyone.
I think your are reading something into the statement that is not there.

I am personally acquainted with the seller from previous dealings, and he is a reasonable guy.

Yes, he could have phrased it more politically correct, but he made his point clear. It is the BUYERS responsibility to understand the BUYERS' state DMV requirements.

Last edited by emccomas; 02-20-2019 at 08:15 AM.
tuxnharley (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:46 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I think your are reading something into the statement that is not there.

I am personally acquainted with the seller from previous dealings, and he is a reasonable guy.

Yes, he could have phrased it more politically correct, but he made his point clear. It is the BUYERS responsibility to understand the BUYERS' state DMV requirements.

I Agree and praise him,Â

He stated the truth as it is and with no 'political sugar coating lies' to twist the truth and increase the profits. He has gone beyond the typical used car salesman's skills of highlighting the positive aspects of the car and hiding the negative until the cash is exchanged and the salesman is on the run. In short he is not a skilled advertisement writer nor used car salesman. Â

The way he says it is "HONESTLY" and sincere.  I can see where most people might be offended with it as CAPITALISM and HONESTY are two enemies like the YANKS and the JOHNNY REBS. He is not praying on people's ignorance like the capitalists are every moment of the day. Â

Ron

tuxnharley (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:57 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Now, a little bit of Alabama vehicle registration / title history.

For many years, cars made before 1975 did not get titled in Alabama. They were bought and sold on a vehicle registration only. And if the car was sold to another person in Alabama, the Bill of Sale did not even need to be notarized.

Other states required more documentation for cars coming out of Alabama, but within Alabama, that was it.

A recent (4-5 years ago) change to Alabama law now says that cars 35 years old and older do not get titled. So it is not a moving target. This is 2019, so cars made in 1984 and earlier no longer need a title. Next year is will be 1985.

Alabama also passed a law that said that all cars that get registered in Alabama (which is the paperwork that makes the car legal to drive on Alabama streets) must have proof of insurance before they are registered.

You can imagine what that did to us that deal in old, un-titled, ,non-running cars. NO title means no way to transfer ownership WITHOUT putting insurance on the car so we could get a current Alabama registration. The widow has gone through this many times when selling a car to an out of state buyer.

I am trying to get some sort of no-tag registration process set up so that we do not have to put insurance on cars for a day in order to sell non running vehicles. I am personally acquainted with the Speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives, and he understands the situation, but this is not a high priority for him or the legislature. I keep plugging away at it.

Most other states require a CURRENT REGISTRATION in the seller's name, and a notarized Bill of Sale. That will get you a title in any other state.

In order to get a current registration, she had to put auto insurance on a non-running car until she got it registered (and yes, she also got a tag with it that she had no use for). She would then immediately cancel the insurance, and get a notarized Bill of Sale.

All of this effort was costing her about $60 per car, which we added to the price of the car, and told the buyer about it upfront.

The seller of the 63 convertible is trying to avoid that hassle, and it is a hassle.

If he sells the car to someone else in Alabama, he can avoid that hassle. And he also told me in a private email that he would assist an out of state buyer, but the buyer would have to pay the costs of getting the current registration, etc.

What is comes down to is what does YOUR state require, and the seller is saying it is not his responsibility to figure that out, it is the buyer responsibility. I agree with him.
These changes were also designed to address the embarassment of Titles Unlimited and Richard Weaver’s less than legal business. It is also one of several reasons I would never buy a car produced by Boyd.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...titles.340270/

Last edited by Factoid; 02-20-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jrm5657

Also, I have never had an issue titling cars from states such as Alabama that do not issue titles on older vehicles. It is no big deal, walk in with registration and signed bill of sale, pay a crapload of sales tax, and walk out with a new title in my name.
Adjusted to be accurate for New York.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

The guy is telling you up front to get your ducks in a row, bravo. He's selling a car it's a used car he's not running a nursery. I could care less about a back story when I buy a car. Most of the time it doesn't affect the value of the car going forward. The guy I bought my 61 from had a spiel about why he was getting rid of it. He was a bank officer that went to that place in Bedford Ma. and picked up a C1 and going to build himself a car. When he got it back the truth of the matter was it was a rusted out pile of £¥*^ and someone clued him in as to the actual cost to do anything to it. Now this was nowhere near his story. Lucky for him I was tired of looking and was willing to overpay to get a car to get started on. Not one of my best decisions but I chalked it up to just being the cost of business. Some of you guys aren't keeping up when AOC gets finished we aren't going to be allowed to own anything of this kind of value.

Last edited by Robert61; 02-20-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:42 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
The guy put air in the tires, hosed out the rat turds, and hung a door. If he can get 9 grand more than he paid for the car, more power to him. Maybe the car will be put on the road someday. At least it got saved from certain death, rotting away on that old farm.
From what I am reading this car sold for 10k ???? That certainly sounds like a give away. The owners seller rep. certainly didn't do her any favors. Under sold the value for a quick sale. At 20k its a good bargain. What do you tell the family when they see the car advertised days later for double the value ? If I was a 3-7 roadster advocate I would be in negotiations quickly. How often does one double his investment with a current purchase of an early 60s Vette ?
Old 02-20-2019, 09:45 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by jrs 427
From what I am reading this car sold for 10k ???? That certainly sounds like a give away. The owners seller rep. certainly didn't do her any favors. Under sold the value for a quick sale. At 20k its a good bargain. What do you tell the family when they see the car advertised days later for double the value ? If I was a 3-7 roadster advocate I would be in negotiations quickly. How often does one double his investment with a current purchase of an early 60s Vette ?
Late to the party again I see.

Get notified of new replies

To Widow's 63 back on the market

Old 02-20-2019, 10:16 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

You did not see pictures of the car in the first thread. If this guy thinks he can get 20K he's living in a bigger dream then Cortez.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:56 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh well, I screwed up again.

I guess I should get out of this helping my friends for free business.

The widow originally told me she would take $8K. I thought, once I found the rest of the parts, that $8K was a bit low, so I suggested $10K minumum. WE set the asking price at $12.5K. They ultimate buy made three offers, the first two we rejected. His last offer at $10K was accepted.

If the buyer (and now seller) gets $19K for the car, GREAT! But I am personally expecting pigs to fly through hell while it is freezing over first. I think $15K is probably the top for this car, and the buyer (now seller) has put some work into it, and added some parts to it. He didn't do $5K worth of work on it, but I do think he improved the perceived value by $5K.

And he did things that I am no longer able to do, like reassemble the car, work on getting the engine un-stuck, etc.

The widow is very happy with her $10K, and if the seller gets $19K I will tell the widow that, and also tell her that we will be using Facebook Marketplace from now on.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:16 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

This is delusional. The original car as presented should have brought about $500. I wouldn't have given a dime for it...life's too short and I don't need to shoot myself in the foot doing stupid things. If you think this is a 20 k car, that's fine. It's just that you think differently than 99% of the rest of us. Have a nice day.
The following 3 users liked this post by GTOguy:
Frankie the Fink (02-20-2019), mike coletta (02-21-2019), Rich Yanulis (02-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Widow's 63 back on the market