C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1957 heater assembly

Old 03-07-2019, 07:56 PM
mtbengel

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default 1957 heater assembly

Hey all - After 55 year of waiting I finally purchased my Ď57 corvette. Mine is s stock 283, 270 hp, dual quad with a 4 speed. It has wipers, radio & a hardtop but no heater. Iíve heard mixed reviews on how effective the heaters are in this cars but Iíve owned a number of sports cars and always felt some heat on your feet is better than nothing. My question is would it be worth the expense to piece together a heating/defrost system and alternatively, is there anywhere to purchase a complete (original or reproduction) assembly? There is a complete rebuilt assembly on eBay for a Ď58-Ď62 model but I donít know the differences between the Ď56-Ď57 and Ď58-Ď62 assemblies. Any help/direction would be appreciated. Thx!
Old 03-07-2019, 08:20 PM
jrm5657
CF Senior Member

Liked 217 Times in 171 Posts

56-57 share some common parts with 58-62. The main differences will be the control valve, the cables and fan switch, and the defroster distribution box. A complete 57 original assembly is going to be quite expensive by the time you buy all of the parts you need including the defrost box, defrost outlets, cables and switch, control valve, heater core and box, air inlet flapper valve, air and defrost hoses. Probably cost at least a grand. Buy a nice heavy sweater and some wool socks, don't know where you live, but you probably won't drive it in freezing cold weather.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Dan Hampton
CF Senior Member

Liked 158 Times in 110 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

You could always go with a vintage air system (heater only). They are small and compact and do not cost a lot. I have the same situation with my '57 (California car) with the big block off plate. I would like heat but really wonder if I would use it, given that I don't drive it in the winter the way I did 50 years ago. I have bits and pieces of a '57 heater system but since my car is pretty much a non original car (NOM, Muncie, L 79 intake), I will probably go with the simplicity of the Vintage system if I elect to go that route.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:39 PM
vettepoor
CF Senior Member

Liked 32 Times in 27 Posts

My 57 has a factory heater, and I can assure you it will fry your feet if working properly! Very simple, easy to control and well worth it if you live in a cold climate. Car loves the cold air here in the Midwest, my old bones appreciate the heat!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:11 PM
6D2148
CF Senior Member

Liked 76 Times in 68 Posts

Some times the option "DELETE" creates more worth ("$"). Be careful what you wish for. However it's your car make it enjoyable for you!
Chip
Old 03-07-2019, 09:32 PM
bj1k
CF Senior Member

Liked 231 Times in 203 Posts

I wanted to make sure the heater in my 57 was working properly because even though it will be uses primarily in the summer months my wife and I go to the car cruises well into the fall months and coming home into the evenings is when my wife wants heat . I can't argue with that !
Old 03-07-2019, 11:08 PM
Dan Hampton
CF Senior Member

Liked 158 Times in 110 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

https://www.jegs.com/i/VPA/960/50610...omo=thirdparty

Here is the Vintage Heater. This is one for the Hot Rod crowd. We have used them in the building of Cobra replicas, given their compact size and limited space of the Cobra's interior.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:04 AM
DZAUTO
CF Senior Member

Liked 873 Times in 505 Posts
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vettepoor View Post
My 57 has a factory heater, and I can assure you it will fry your feet if working properly! Very simple, easy to control and well worth it if you live in a cold climate. Car loves the cold air here in the Midwest, my old bones appreciate the heat!
Exactly, the heater in my 56 will keep you plenty warm------------------with the hard top on. I can't say about how well it works with the soft top up because in the winter the hard top is always on.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:23 PM
mtbengel

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks all for the input! I was able to get a complete & correct ‘57 heater system from someone who is converting their ‘57 to an air-box replica. That was a bit of luck!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:19 PM
68hemi
CF Senior Member

Liked 533 Times in 419 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm5657 View Post
56-57 share some common parts with 58-62. The main differences will be the control valve, the cables and fan switch, and the defroster distribution box. A complete 57 original assembly is going to be quite expensive by the time you buy all of the parts you need including the defrost box, defrost outlets, cables and switch, control valve, heater core and box, air inlet flapper valve, air and defrost hoses. Probably cost at least a grand. Buy a nice heavy sweater and some wool socks, don't know where you live, but you probably won't drive it in freezing cold weather.
You probably are not going to drive it in that cold of weather to warrant the expense. Just make sure you carry a towel in the trunk in case the inside of the windshield fogs up on you.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:49 AM
SWCDuke
CF Senior Member

Liked 530 Times in 365 Posts

p
Originally Posted by 6D2148 View Post
Some times the option "DELETE" creates more worth ("$"). Be careful what you wish for. However it's your car make it enjoyable for you!
Chip
The heater/defroster was not a "delete" option. It was not a part of the base equipment package from '53 to '61, but was optional...same with a radio, so it is simply a "no heater" car.

A heater/ defroster became part of the base equipment package in 1962, and at that point there was a heater delete credit option until 1969 when a defroster became mandatory under a FMVSS. A radio was added to the base equipment package sometime in the mid seventies and was accompanied by a radio delete credit option.

Duke

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: