C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Chirp/whistle when releasing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I agree with Leif, and would suggest having your mechanic confirm its a throw out bearing/clutch issue prior to purchasing anything.

Phil
Old 04-16-2019, 04:21 PM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

I have heard that before a high pitch whirring noise right at clutch engagement. It is caused by dried out or no grease on the input shaft splines. I worked at a Honda dealer in the 80s and put in hundreds of clutches because of that noise. They changed the type of grease they were using and after several thousand miles they all made noise and got replaced. Almost everyone in the shop was installing new clutch's every day.
Mark
Old 04-18-2019, 01:29 AM
jsans
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Well then, I hope I can wait until next winter when the engine gets pulled.

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
It is mounted between the fingers of the clutch fork and butts up against the fingers on the pressure plate fingers. It goes around the transmission input shaft so the transmission has to come out to replace it. If you didn't already know where it is, you need to get someone who has changed one in a C2 before to do it or assist you. It is not a quick and easy job. It requires extra work because of the limited room due to the frame crossmember location. Many pull the engine and transmission together, either way you want to do everything right the first time, so that it doesn't all have to come out again.

It looks like this one:

Old 04-18-2019, 01:31 AM
jsans
Pro

To be clear, it's not a continuous noise, it only happens on the way up just before releasing the clutch. After I let go of the clutch there's no more whistling chirp.

They usually make squealing noises for quite a while before anything serious happens. If pushing in a little on the clutch stops the noise. I think it's the bearing.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:33 AM
jsans
Pro

Once again, only happens on the way up just prior to releasing. I will record a uTube video on Saturday.

[QUOTE=856666;1599235031]
Originally Posted by jsans
I'm guessing this might be the issue.
Originally Posted by jsans

I'm wondering if I can make it to the winter, which is when I plan on dropping the original engine back into the car. The clutch still works perfectly with the exception of the sound. Which maybe would be a good time to look at all the clutch components since everything would be apart anyhow. At that time, would it also be a good time to inspect ore rebuild the Muncie trans?

Hi jsans,

I agree with GGvert, the bearing will progressively make more noise but it will take some time for it to fail completely. Remember that the bearing is only working when you press the clutch pedal down, and these cars are not daily drivers, so it will last some time. If your Muncie is working fine there is no reason to mess with it other than new fluid.

Here is a tread with excellent pictures of flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk and throwout bearing

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...h-chatter.html

Phil
Old 04-18-2019, 01:34 AM
jsans
Pro

OK, I'll have it looked at by a good mechanic I know.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:35 AM
jsans
Pro

It does sound like something needs to be greased around the clutch.

Originally Posted by mark6669
I have heard that before a high pitch whirring noise right at clutch engagement. It is caused by dried out or no grease on the input shaft splines. I worked at a Honda dealer in the 80s and put in hundreds of clutches because of that noise. They changed the type of grease they were using and after several thousand miles they all made noise and got replaced. Almost everyone in the shop was installing new clutch's every day.
Mark
Old 04-18-2019, 01:35 AM
jsans
Pro

Will do Phil., thank you.

Originally Posted by 856666
I agree with Leif, and would suggest having your mechanic confirm its a throw out bearing/clutch issue prior to purchasing anything.

Phil
Old 04-18-2019, 07:12 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I may have misinterpreted your description. If it's a single chirp each time your clutch pedal reaches the top, you probably just have a return spring or joint in the clutch pedal that is squeaking with movement. My experience with a release bearing has been a rotating type chirp while the engine is running at the top of the return.When I read chirp or squeal, that's the way I visioned the problem. If the issue is in your clutch linkage, it should chirp without the engine running also. You may just have a dry spot, or a spring type squeak. If it's a single chirp, get under the car and have someone push the clutch and release to where the chirp is and follow the sound. Don't rule out under the dash rub somewhere like through the firewall. It would be a shame to pull the motor/trans for a squeak somewhere else.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:29 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

I don't believe it was determined if noise occurs when engine is not running. If so. clutch linkage is crying out for lubrication.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:39 PM
CorvetteMikeB
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 311 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Chirp/whistle

If I were you, I would start looking for a bird nest under your feet.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:51 PM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by 856666
With the engine off, press the clutch pedal down and release it - do you hear the noise?

If no - I would lean towards throw out bearing
If yes - I would check linkages

Phil
what he said. Did you try this?

Ed
Old 04-18-2019, 08:28 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

They usually make squealing noises for quite a while before anything serious happens. If pushing in a little on the clutch stops the noise. I think it's the bearing.
I've had a couple of cars that did this.

One did this for a long time and I ignored it forever, and never fixed it and it never seemed to matter. That was a long, long time ago and it was a junker.

More recently, I had a 2004 Mustang GT and it started chirping when I pushed in the clutch pedal at around 35,000 miles. Drove me ape-chit but it spontaneously quit before 60,000 miles and I never did anything about it.

So that's two cars with about maybe 50,000 miles out of two or three dozen clutch cars that did it, and I never did anything to fix it, and it never mattered. But it did drive me batty.

Seriously, if it's not grinding, I would not sweat it. Just try to ignore it. That's the hard part.

Last edited by Easy Rhino; 04-18-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: [C2] Chirp/whistle when releasing clutch