C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

!964 Manual Steering Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 05:49 PM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

Default !964 Manual Steering Alignment

I just rebuilt my original manual steering box and rag joint. I have the mark on the input shaft on the steering box at 12-o'clock. the rag joint is oriented correctly and the pitman arm is pointing straight ahead as is the tires. I have the ball stud dead center in the pitman arm but my tie rods are not equall. What am I missing. I thought when everything is lined up the tie rods should be equal. HELP

Last edited by VITIV Coupe; 05-03-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:23 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

If you have the linkage clocked correctly (steering wheel thru pitman arm) someone has been there before you. Remove one of the tie rod ends on each side and align the adjustment sleeves to where the threads are equal (inner and outer). You will need to check the toe in adjustment when finished.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:29 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,632 Likes on 1,340 Posts

The factory mark on the box may or may not be on true center or high lash. Most times they are not, and be out as much as 90*. You need to know where they are, go by the high lash and set the rest of the alignment from that point. You may not end up with equal rods, most times you won't.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:33 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the response guys. I rebuilt the steering box myself and when I installed it in the car it was dead on center, mark at twelve o'clock, pitman arm straight ahead. I found my mistake, I thought both adjuster sleeves had to be the same amount of threads, (duh), but in reality each sleeve should have the same amount of threads on their respectively end as my car before I disassembled everything was the left adjuster sleeve had 6 threads and the right had 9 threads showing. I'll reassemble it back to that setting and head for my favorite Corvette alignment shop.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:10 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 562 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by VITIV Coupe
Thanks for the response guys. I rebuilt the steering box myself and when I installed it in the car it was dead on center, mark at twelve o'clock, pitman arm straight ahead. I found my mistake, I thought both adjuster sleeves had to be the same amount of threads, (duh), but in reality each sleeve should have the same amount of threads on their respectively end as my car before I disassembled everything was the left adjuster sleeve had 6 threads and the right had 9 threads showing. I'll reassemble it back to that setting and head for my favorite Corvette alignment shop.
I think I misunderstood your first post and was thinking about thread showing on both passenger (inner and outer) and both driver sides. If I understand now, you were referring to exposed thread on both inner tie rods being equal when the Pittman arm is straight forward, correct?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:05 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Yup, that's exactly what I was referring now. I now have 11 threads showing on each ends of the passenger link and three on each end of the drivers. Is that normal? What is the maximum no of threads that can be exposed? I don't want to get dangerously close to the end.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:27 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

If it were my car I would be taking the top off the steering box while you are at it and check its lubrication, they tend to dry out over time because of the proximity of the exhaust. As long as you count the turns of the adjustment screw so you can put it back to the same position it's a straightforward job to do this.

Get notified of new replies

To !964 Manual Steering Alignment

Quick Reply: !964 Manual Steering Alignment