C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Stinger Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Well, that will certainly help to keep the theory alive.

If it's in print, then it must be true.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:17 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 374 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by roadster65
Gents - apologies, I should've referenced the source,

Classic Corvette The First Thirty Years by Mike Mueller - Chapter 7, Unintended Encore, p237.

In this chapter, it also states - Not all big-block hoods hid big-block 427's in 1967, however, since a mishap involving molds for the flat small-block hood left St Louis plant officials no choice but to assemble 327 Sting Rays with 427 hoods for a few days in late February or early March.

Dealers undoubtedly made the same swap themselves in response to customer requests, a swap the St Louis Plant wouldn't make under normal circumstances - GV

Value of respective source information:

Mike Mueller <<<<<<< Nolan Adams <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<< John Hinckley

As it was, Mueller was likely using the Nolan Adams information that John has identified as being inaccurate. Mueller did no primary source investigation which was at least attempted by Adams.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:09 AM
roadster65
Burning Brakes

Received 1,273 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
Mueller did no primary source investigation which was at least attempted by Adams.
au contraire monsieur; Sorry Champ, Mike Mueller's primary sources of information amongst others are; Harley Earl, Bill Mitchell, Ed Cole, Zora Arkus-Duntov,Larry Shinoda, Semon "Bunkie" Knudson, Henry Haga, David Holls, Denny Davis, Bob Clift, Dick Keinath, … all senior GM personnel employed directly in designing, building, and testing the Corvette.

Mueller also drew freely from access to Chevrolet Motor Division production records of both the Flint and St Louis plants, and GM archives.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:18 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Well this may get more interesting.

Unfortunately, what the argument typically devolves down to (and in this case already has in one example) is insults and people choosing sides based on what they have already decided to believe.

But, in the greater court of public opinion; however, truth typically resides with first person accounts, with greater weight given to more credible sources, instead of hearsay or second and tertiary sources, or records that do not exist cannot be called into account.

But it's going to be interesting.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:51 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 649 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
and the when the market was high on 67 cars you would think a first week production car would come out. I don't recall one ever coming out.

I think this is good current empirical evidence. And, since JohnZ supports the conclusion, for me this issue is closed.

Interesting, though.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,105 Likes on 4,880 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

au contraire monsieur; Sorry Champ, Mike Mueller's primary sources of information amongst others are; Harley Earl, Bill Mitchell, Ed Cole, Zora Arkus-Duntov,Larry Shinoda, Semon "Bunkie" Knudson, Henry Haga, David Holls, Denny Davis, Bob Clift, Dick Keinath, … all senior GM personnel employed directly in designing, building, and testing the Corvette.

Mueller also drew freely from access to Chevrolet Motor Division production records of both the Flint and St Louis plants, and GM archives.
While all those names are who’s who of Corvette and GM I doubt any of them spent more then a couple of hours in the assembly plant. And worked in Detroit
Old 05-07-2019, 09:53 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 374 Likes on 224 Posts

And which of these people provided primary evidence of this big block hood issue? Huh? Which of them would have been directly involved in a production issue that developed at the plant? The point is that there is NO evidence of this action taking place and that Mueller could ONLY have used Nolan's book as his reference. Since John Hinckley has repeatedly confirmed to us - as a primary source given his JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AT ST. LOUIS - that this did NOT HAPPEN, please explain where this information came from.

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
While all those names are who’s who of Corvette and GM I doubt any of them spent more then a couple of hours in the assembly plant. And worked in Detroit
This is correct. The VPs of design or design engineering are rarely (if ever) involved in production issues especially for a vehicle that is in its final year. Even the manufacturing engineers are by this time more focused on the launch of the new product that was coming the following year.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,310 Posts

The 1967 Corvette Sales Brochure which was issued around the time of production clearly shows the 67 BB model with nicely painted hood stripes. So the cars used for the pics had to be painted and striped earlier. This clearly demonstrates that this job could be accurately done. It would be a big deal to somehow then say "we have a problem" and begin sending out cars without the correct striping and emblems.....when this new change was a major revision for the 67 model year. I guess anything is possible, but I just cannot see this being done, and if JohnZ and his sources also state this, then that should settle it.

I would think the factory inspectors would hold up the early BB cars until this issue was corrected............and it would be a major issue no one would forget.

The BB export car that was shipped without the hood stripes may well have been a COPO car used for a special purpose or a special request.

Although the two BB hood issues reported in various books may have occurred, reasonable evidence says it did not happen as described. But each person can believe what he wants............

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 05-07-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:53 PM
SILENT BOB
Burning Brakes

Location: Tank sticker? I ain't got no tank sticker! I don't need no tank sticker! I don't have to show any stinking tank sticker!
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Sales material provided to dealers in 1966 for the 1967 model year state under "Corvette Factory Installed Optional Equipment" - "Power Teams" - "350 HP Corvette V8 - includes special hood, heavier duty springs and finned aluminum rocker covers....RPO L79"

The term "special hood" is also used for all 427 RPOs.

I can't post pics, but if someone out there can, send me a PM with your email and I can email an image of the sales material for posting.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,310 Posts

We know for a fact that the 1967 327/350 HP cars never received a "special hood" from the start of production. They also did not receive "heavier duty springs" anytime during the model year as part of the L79 package. I agree they did receive "finned aluminum rocker covers".

Larry

Quick Reply: 67 Stinger Question