C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 12:17 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C1 buying advice

Hello Forum.

I have admired C1s all my life and I'm finally at that stage where purchasing one is actually a possibility. I am just starting my journey to find the right one, preferably '60 or '61 (the wife loves white/red) and have no hesitation in admitting that I have very limited knowledge of what to look for when purchasing. So, I am trying to be smart about it and looking for all the help I can get. I have read many of the previous posts that provide excellent advice but the more I read the more I realize what I don't know and the pitfalls are many. In the previous posts I see many references to names of individuals who can help locate cars and do some analysis to weed out cars with problems and even do some onsite inspections if necessary. I'm continually impressed with the collective wisdom and knowledge of the members of this forum and wondering if someone could give me the name and contact information for someone who does this sort of work and is good at it.

Thanks All, Gary.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:36 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,040 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

This is a good place to be.......I have a 61 that has been for sale since November, 2018.. Because this is very important to you and your Wife.......My car would NOT be what I think you would want...(Modified, HotRodish). There are many traditional 60/61's for sale on the Forum...."Numbers matching" can be a blessing or a disaster...Find one that is well maintained by an experienced Member........

Not to throw Names, but........Frankie the Fink would be a very good start a long with other contributing Members who have owned the Car you are looking for......

Best of luck...........

Dcamick
Old 06-23-2019, 12:53 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Get a prepurchase inspection. It will be the best money you spend on the car!!! I've been a car guy all of my life building engines for 45 years, building race cars, and restoring a 66 GTO clone. But when I bought my 61 I was tired of looking and I am nowhere near a corvette expert. Looking back I feel like I paid at a minimum of $10k too much for the car I bought. It had a front cap but was a wheel well forward repair, meaning it had been in an accident and the front fenders were cut over the tires and everything forward was replaced. I saw this when I bought but after I started it was so bad I ended up changing the front cap. It was a very poor repair and an experienced guy would have known this. This was about $4K just for parts. I changed out every piece of inner steel construction that I really didn't even know existed. I may be a little extreme in my restoration but I want everything seen and unseen in perfect condition. There is so much to hide, cover up, change VIN tags. Get the inspection these guys can tell you exactly who to use.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:56 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Mechanically, driveability, features, the 60 and 61 are essentially identical----------------------EXCEPT for the "stingray" style rearend on the 61-61 bodies.
BUUUUUUUUUUT, in 61, there was ONE noticeable change in comfort--------------the seats.
The 61-2 cars had brand new seat structures which provides more head and leg room. Plus, the 61-62 seats are just plain more comfortable than the 53-60 seats.
Otherwise, for 60-61, all features and options were the same. Driving, turning, braking, performance will all be the same. The 61 models were the last year for the 283 engine. The 327 was introduced in the 62 models. For 60-61, the 3 and 4sp transmissions were the same (the 61 4sp main case was alum instead of cast iron), and all 4spds were close ratio, thus, the rearend ratios were not particularly ideal for Interstate driving. With the 327 in 62, a wide ratio 4sp was available with a 3.08 rearend ratio (more hiway compatible). Up through 61, the Powerglide automatic transmission was cast iron, in 62 it was alum. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the way through 1969, positraction was an OPTION. Thus, not all 57-62 Corvettes came with a posi rear.
Air cond WAS NOT, repeat, NOT available until 1963, thus none of the 53-62 cars came with air cond (if that is a requirement for you). But aftermarket AC systems are available for 58-62 Corvettes.
Now, with all that said, TWO things I will add.
ONE, and MOST important--------------------FIND AND TAKE ALONG SOMEONE WHO IS INTIMATELY FAMILIAR WITH THE 60-61 MODELS-----------------------you may regret if if you don't!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two, the mechanical parts, such as engine, transmission, rearend, etc, etc, are 100% bolt-in swaps for the 60-61 models. For example, a bone stock 283 can be swapped out, with no modifications, for a later, more powerful 327 or 350. A 3sp can be swapped for a later 4sp (such as a Muncie). A non-posi rearend center section can be swapped for a posi rear.

So if you find the ideal 60-61, which came with a stock 283 and 3sp, and it now has a later 350 and Muncie 4sp (provided numbers and originality are NOT mandatory for you), and the price is agreeable, it will be a nice car.

Just a few examples to look at are extensive body repairs, and the quality of repair (remember, you are looking at a car that is pushing 60yrs old). These cars had METAL-TO-METAL front suspensions, and regular greasing of ALLLLLLLLLLLL the suspension joints is essential for long life. Check for frame rust-through, especially at the rear cross member.
AGAIN, I REPEAT, TAKE ALONG A PERSON WHO IS KNOWLEDGEABLE WITH 60-61 MODELS!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2019, 02:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Wonderful insights from DZAuto as always...

Rust, badly done bodywork and old electrical wiring are the big "gotchas" on the C1s and the most money to correct....significant rust can be more expensive to repair than an engine overhaul...

The rear frame "kick-ups" and the radiator core support being very prone to rust...

Too many of these early cars had front clips replaced and done poorly and this mistake is unforgiving. The mating of the surround and fenders to the rest of the car affect the windshield frame fit, the door post fit, how the soft/hardtops fit and a crooked nose job is the gift that keeps on giving... There are things to look for on the later C1s to find such shoddy work....one "quick and dirty" is how the letters across the nose look. What do you think of these ?

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-23-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:56 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Wow, that looks terrible! So much to look out for. Will definitely be looking for someone with experience to help guide me in this hunt. I'm in no hurry, want to do it right so I don't regret it. I really don't care as much about numbers matching or looking for an investment as much as a good solid dependable driver that the wife and I can enjoy driving and not spend a lot of down time fixing or having fixed. The season is short up here in N. WI so want to spend as much time as possible enjoying the car. From what I've read so far on these pages is it's better to spend more up front and get a good solid car than go cheap and spend my time working on it. I'm not getting any younger.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:36 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by wickerpete
Wow, that looks terrible! So much to look out for. Will definitely be looking for someone with experience to help guide me in this hunt. I'm in no hurry, want to do it right so I don't regret it. I really don't care as much about numbers matching or looking for an investment as much as a good solid dependable driver that the wife and I can enjoy driving and not spend a lot of down time fixing or having fixed. The season is short up here in N. WI so want to spend as much time as possible enjoying the car. From what I've read so far on these pages is it's better to spend more up front and get a good solid car than go cheap and spend my time working on it. I'm not getting any younger.
Truer words were never spoken.

Usually when you buy a car that is 'righteous' from the git-go vs one that you have to bring up to a drive-able standard you are getting all the labor the previous owner(s) put in the car for free...
Old 06-23-2019, 03:40 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Thank you Sir!
Old 06-23-2019, 03:46 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Thank you for your reply
Old 06-23-2019, 03:47 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Thanks Robert!
Old 06-23-2019, 03:47 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Great advice, thank you!
Old 06-23-2019, 07:34 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Have you seen deejaydu's white/red '61 for sale in the CF for sale section? The car looks pretty nice, and he says he will consider offers.

As you know, these guys on the forum know their Corvettes. If you come across anything up in our neighborhood that you need someone to look at I would try to do that. I'm only 150 miles west of you. I've owned lots of solid axle Corvettes, including three '62s. I know of a very nice '61 for sale down in Iowa. Not sure if it's still available.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:58 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,729 Likes on 811 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Todd H.
Have you seen deejaydu's white/red '61 for sale in the CF for sale section? The car looks pretty nice, and he says he will consider offers.

As you know, these guys on the forum know their Corvettes. If you come across anything up in our neighborhood that you need someone to look at I would try to do that. I'm only 150 miles west of you. I've owned lots of solid axle Corvettes, including three '62s. I know of a very nice '61 for sale down in Iowa. Not sure if it's still available.
Here is the link:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
Old 06-23-2019, 08:26 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Thanks Todd and Dan. deejaydu's car is indeed beautiful! My wife and I have our hearts set on a soft top and really like the grey coves. We did look through the Forum's for sale and there are a lot of nice cars there. I have looked at three that we liked and the links are below. The information on all is limited, but if you would take a look and give me your thoughts on whether you think they are worth pursuing I would sure appreciate it. I will take the advice of all on this forum and have someone who knows C1s take a look before I did anything more.
Thanks, Gary

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...lifornia-92651

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...ette/101011561

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...ette/101148823
Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,729 Likes on 811 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wickerpete
Thanks Todd and Dan. deejaydu's car is indeed beautiful! My wife and I have our hearts set on a soft top and really like the grey coves. We did look through the Forum's for sale and there are a lot of nice cars there. I have looked at three that we liked and the links are below. The information on all is limited, but if you would take a look and give me your thoughts on whether you think they are worth pursuing I would sure appreciate it. I will take the advice of all on this forum and have someone who knows C1s take a look before I did anything more.
Thanks, Gary

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...lifornia-92651

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...ette/101011561

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...ette/101148823
You can sell the hardtop and buy a soft top and come out money ahead.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:56 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Thanks Dan. Swapping tops is certainly worth considering.

Also looking at this one:

https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/L...rolet-Corvette
Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 PM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The trouble with buying such a car is that these are enthusiast vehicles and as such really require significant knowledge, not just as far as buying a decent example but also with regards what you need to expect with one.

Many a buyer has fallen in love with the looks and nostalgia only to be hugely disappointed in how they drive and the driving experience in general.

As simple as they are mechanically there are still very few "local" mechanics that can do even the simplest servicing or repairs on them so if you can't do everything yourself then that can become an issue, many here will attest that the local guy returned their early Vette with damage or at least sub-standard repairs.

I loved my 59 but there were excuses that had to be made for it and that is not acceptable for many.

My wife only went in mine a few times in the years that I owned it as she simply didn't care for the antiquated aspects of the car and the minimum level of comfort that it offered.

Not to say that these cars are not great fun and many don't have a problem with anything about them but I'm just warning you to be researched and aware of what you are getting into.

Try to get together with some local owners and hopefully they will take you for a decent ride or if you're VERY luck get to drive one but don't be overcome with excitement pay attention to just how it steers, brakes and the noise levels or ambient traffic etc.

These cars can be an absolute joy but can also be a huge source of stress and disappointment so don't go in blind.

Don't be put off by my comments but just continue your research until you are sure of what you are doing.

I just rejected buying 2 C-1's which I had put in a decent offer for but even after years in the hobby and having already done one full resto I had gotten over excited at the prospect of again owning one (or 2) and after coming back down to earth I realized that these cars were not good candidates due to what has already been said in the posts above so came to my senses and withdrew my offer (not before the seller left me for 10 days without indicating if my offer would be accepted).

Good luck with your hunt.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 buying advice

Old 06-23-2019, 09:25 PM
61drful
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago. Wanted a C1 and liked the red and white as well as the duck tail backend. I actually got a 1961 on craigslist through a dealer that had the car consigned to him from the owner. Big things to think about...1-If you find one hire a certified appraiser to go with you and look at the car. The guy I hired spent 2 hours going through the car and did some research online before giving me the price he thought it was worth...best $300 I spent. I actually got my car for 5K under what he appraised it at. Also, make sure you are getting what you want. I am a purist so I wanted a C1 that had its original engine and all its parts...a survivor basically because they are cheaper as well. Some like restomods and others like them with updated engines/trans/air conditioning/etc. They will be more expensive. Just know what you want. I;ll send you a private message with my phone number if you want to call or text me.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:58 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Originally Posted by 59er
The trouble with buying such a car is that these are enthusiast vehicles and as such really require significant knowledge, not just as far as buying a decent example but also with regards what you need to expect with one.

Many a buyer has fallen in love with the looks and nostalgia only to be hugely disappointed in how they drive and the driving experience in general.

As simple as they are mechanically there are still very few "local" mechanics that can do even the simplest servicing or repairs on them so if you can't do everything yourself then that can become an issue, many here will attest that the local guy returned their early Vette with damage or at least sub-standard repairs.

I loved my 59 but there were excuses that had to be made for it and that is not acceptable for many.

My wife only went in mine a few times in the years that I owned it as she simply didn't care for the antiquated aspects of the car and the minimum level of comfort that it offered.

Not to say that these cars are not great fun and many don't have a problem with anything about them but I'm just warning you to be researched and aware of what you are getting into.

Try to get together with some local owners and hopefully they will take you for a decent ride or if you're VERY luck get to drive one but don't be overcome with excitement pay attention to just how it steers, brakes and the noise levels or ambient traffic etc.

These cars can be an absolute joy but can also be a huge source of stress and disappointment so don't go in blind.

Don't be put off by my comments but just continue your research until you are sure of what you are doing.

I just rejected buying 2 C-1's which I had put in a decent offer for but even after years in the hobby and having already done one full resto I had gotten over excited at the prospect of again owning one (or 2) and after coming back down to earth I realized that these cars were not good candidates due to what has already been said in the posts above so came to my senses and withdrew my offer (not before the seller left me for 10 days without indicating if my offer would be accepted).

Good luck with your hunt.
Thank you for your thoughtful advice. I will take it to heart.

Gary
Old 06-23-2019, 10:00 PM
wickerpete
Advanced

Originally Posted by 61drful
I was in the same boat as you 3 years ago. Wanted a C1 and liked the red and white as well as the duck tail backend. I actually got a 1961 on craigslist through a dealer that had the car consigned to him from the owner. Big things to think about...1-If you find one hire a certified appraiser to go with you and look at the car. The guy I hired spent 2 hours going through the car and did some research online before giving me the price he thought it was worth...best $300 I spent. I actually got my car for 5K under what he appraised it at. Also, make sure you are getting what you want. I am a purist so I wanted a C1 that had its original engine and all its parts...a survivor basically because they are cheaper as well. Some like restomods and others like them with updated engines/trans/air conditioning/etc. They will be more expensive. Just know what you want. I;ll send you a private message with my phone number if you want to call or text me.
Thank you very much for your advice and offer. I will definitely will be calling you.

Gary

Quick Reply: C1 buying advice