Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with carb.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:59 AM
nelson007
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with carb.

I have a 1960 with all matching numbers, When I press on the gas easy all works well. The problem is when I press too hard it hesitates and almost stops the engine. I assume its flooding the engine. Also if I floor the car going about 30 in first it does the same when the 4 barrell kicks in. Sometime when doing this after picking up speed its starts to break down. The car only has 2800 miles on it.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nelson
Old 07-11-2019, 11:15 AM
dplotkin
CF Senior Member

Received 266 Likes on 176 Posts
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by nelson007 View Post
I have a 1960 with all matching numbers, When I press on the gas easy all works well. The problem is when I press too hard it hesitates and almost stops the engine. I assume its flooding the engine. Also if I floor the car going about 30 in first it does the same when the 4 barrell kicks in. Sometime when doing this after picking up speed its starts to break down. The car only has 2800 miles on it.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nelson
Nelson-
Sure sounds as though something's not right in the carb, but with old cars a myriad of problems can cause the same or similar symptoms. If you are not accustomed to "wrenching" on your old cars yourself may I suggest you get it in the hands of someone who works on old cars. Your problem could be a faulty accelerator pump, a distributor problem, a vacuum leak and everything in between. The car needs diagnosis. Do you have access to an older dude mechanic?

Dan
The following users liked this post:
DansYellow66 (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 02:46 PM
Dave Tracy
CF Senior Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

May be that the accelerator pump is not working. To check the jets, see if you see the gas spray out of the nozzles when the accelerator is pushed to the max. You can check this with the engine off.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:16 PM
Dan Hampton
CF Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Check the easy stuff first. Vacuum leak(s)/low fuel pressure.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:45 PM
nelson007
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info. I do get a spray from the car when I press down the throttle
I am going to put a vacuum meter on it tonight see if I could tune it in any better.
It takes so long in my area to get into a repair facility.
Thanks,
Nelson
Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 PM
dplotkin
CF Senior Member

Received 266 Likes on 176 Posts
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by nelson007 View Post
Thanks for the info. I do get a spray from the car when I press down the throttle
I am going to put a vacuum meter on it tonight see if I could tune it in any better.
It takes so long in my area to get into a repair facility.
Thanks,
Nelson
In that case, may I recommend that you get your hands on a copy of the applicable shop manual for your car. The tune-up and troubleshooting sections in those manuals I find are very helpful in getting a car running, even for the non mechanic types.

Dan

​​​​
Old 07-12-2019, 06:34 PM
nelson007
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Dan
Old 07-12-2019, 08:18 PM
Pilot Dan
CF Senior Member

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

While checking the easy stuff, check timing and vacuum advance. Very easy to do if you have the tools and know how to use them. After that, I would move on to the carb. When was the last time it was serviced? As was suggested, the old leather accelerator pump may have worn out. If you decide to service the carb, you will be into it for a rebuild by the time you get it apart far enough to replace the pump. Make sure they use one of the newer kits with ethanol resistant parts
Old 07-13-2019, 12:44 PM
boxster99t
CF Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

And another easy fix is if you have a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb (in my 67 Holley 3810 there's a fuel filter in the fuel inlet of the carb, don't know about C1's), replace it and see if that fixes the issue. What you described can be due to fuel delivery to the carb, as it doesn't take much disruption in the fuel line pressure to cause what you described.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:45 PM
cardo0
CF Senior Member

Received 229 Likes on 219 Posts

An engine will stumble when it's drunk with fuel. It will bog when starved for fuel. To me it reads like it's stumbling. You can just try smaller jetting and a smaller pump shot - one step at a try.

The modern way of carb tuning is using a wide band air/fuel ratio monitors. They have become so inexpensive that it's difficult not justify owning one.

Let us know what works for you.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,026 Likes on 3,091 Posts

A bog from cruise is a faulty advance mechanism or secondaries opening too soon. If the carb is an original WCFB with the proper weights and springs and the car's vacuum is to spec the secondaries shouldn't be a problem. I would check the vacuum advance...

From "The Carburetor Shop" - they've only been doing this stuff for 45 years.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 07-14-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:37 AM
mcb55-210
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

If all else fails, send it to Lars. I dealt with irritating tweaking on my carb for way too long. He set me straight.

Mike
Old 07-14-2019, 03:26 PM
PAmotorman
CF Senior Member

Received 131 Likes on 118 Posts

if it has a WCFB carb make sure the weighted aux air valve in the secondary is working properly and not stuck open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with carb.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: