C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Wax / Cleaner recommendation for Lacquer Paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 01:13 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,296 Likes on 561 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jasonsamara
When I use a clay bar on my original paint 66 it brings a little bit of the color off and turns my clay from white to maroon.
That's interesting Jason. I don't get any white at all when I clay my original paint. My claybar is yellow, so it would show.
IDID get some white on the pad when I compounded the paint.. Scary!

Last edited by SDVette; 09-27-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:01 PM
jasonsamara
Safety Car

Received 747 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by SDVette
That's interesting Jason. I don't get any white at all when I clay my original paint. My claybar is yellow, so it would show.
IDID get some white on the pad when I compounded the paint.. Scary!
Maybe you are just not seeing it because of the light color? I did a friends Mustang that was Ford red and it did the same thing. I'm not saying it takes off a lot at all, I just notice it when I do it.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:59 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,178 Likes on 1,053 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SBR
Your car looks great. Since Meg #7 is a polish, does it remove some paint?
#7 is a glaze, mostly petroleum distillates that quickly evaporate and other stuff designed to fill scratches and hide them temporarily to increase reflectivity. It is not a polish but anything with petroleum distillates including wax can soften very old paint in poor shape leaving its evidence as color on the pad. It can also rejuvenate old paint by feeding it...petroleum distillates. This can work where color sanding or cutting/buffing would not. #7 has been around for over 70 years.

A clay bar can suck sap, iron particles and grime off painted surfaces. So It has an aggressiveness. It can take very old weakened paint with it. I don't know that I would clay 60 year old paint. I don't think I would touch it.

The ceramic coatings seem great. I have it on my wife's leased Audi SUV. I let the F&I guy bilk me out of it along with I'm sure other extra dealer profit items. Just wanted out of the place. But after a year and a half of heavy washing (I'm a washer) it still looks impressive. I would buy it again...on any new car so it looks good while I have it and protects resale value. I would never put it on one of my antiques, cars I intend to own indefinitely.

Dan

Last edited by dplotkin; 09-27-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: [C2] Wax / Cleaner recommendation for Lacquer Paint