C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 63 exhaust blackout???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 01:44 PM
rustyablades
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 63 exhaust blackout???

I have seen threads and commentary that all describe the blackout of the exhaust differently.
Most of the threads said the blackout was only on the bottom of the pipe and the top was bare because it was applied from underneath before delivery of the car.
The newest NCRS manual says that it applied from the top before the body drop and was heavy on top and dripped down on the bottom side.
Most of the restoration photos that I have found show it on the bottom sprayed from underneath.

Does anyone really know or is another one of those "guesses" that make this hobby so challenging?

Old 02-02-2024, 02:33 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,699 Posts

our best guess is: the exhaust system was installed after the engine was installed.. The chassis was right side up when the engine was installed. The black out could not have been applied with the chassis upside down... the black out was sprayed on the outer bottom aspect of the mufflers from below.
The following users liked this post:
RED340COUPE (02-02-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 03:18 PM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,051 Likes on 579 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I was always under the impression that the frame came down the assembly line upside down, where the rear suspension and front suspension were installed. The mufflers and intermediate pipes were installed at the same time and blacked out. That’s why the paint ran down the muffler, and was on the sides of the muffler. Then the frame was flipped over and the engine and transmission were installed at that time. Here is a photo of the assembly plant with the engine being put in and the pipes are already in the frame. I know there is some pictures of the frame being built upside down on the assembly line. I just don’t have it in my phone.

Old 02-02-2024, 08:51 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 870 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyablades
I have seen threads and commentary that all describe the blackout of the exhaust differently.
Most of the threads said the blackout was only on the bottom of the pipe and the top was bare because it was applied from underneath before delivery of the car.
The newest NCRS manual says that it applied from the top before the body drop and was heavy on top and dripped down on the bottom side.
Most of the restoration photos that I have found show it on the bottom sprayed from underneath.

Does anyone really know or is another one of those "guesses" that make this hobby so challenging?
Here are a couple threads that discuss this. I'd believe what JohnZ said about it:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-mufflers.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-exhaust.html

Old 02-03-2024, 12:32 AM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,008 Likes on 800 Posts

JohnZ was and is the gospel .Believe it .
The following 4 users liked this post by silver837:
jim lockwood (02-03-2024), leif.anderson93 (02-03-2024), MrTrim (02-03-2024), rustyablades (02-03-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To 63 exhaust blackout???

Quick Reply: [C2] 63 exhaust blackout???