C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

square head plug

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 01:34 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Default square head plug

sorry if this is a really dumb question but.......

I need to double check my oil pressure gauge in my dash against another gauge to make sure it's reading accurate or not.
JohnZ suggested I go out and purchase a mechanical oil pressure guage and plug it in where the square head plug is in the block just above the timing cover at around 11 o'clock.
I got the new mechanical oil pressure guage the other day but now i'm stuck.
I don't have the proper socket to remove the square-head plug. I know they make square headed sockets but I went to Sears to buy one and they said they don't carry them.
I was at my mechanics yesterday and he has the proper square-headed socket I need - it's a 9/32 size and he offered to lend it to me for 24 hours but I didn't feel it was right to take it and be responsible for his tools. I know it's not much but I feel funny taking another man's tools even for just a short time.

Since Sears doesn't carry this type of socket, can anyone recommend a place for me to try to get one. I'd rather drive and get one locally if possible rather than order one online somewhere. With very limited use on this socket I don't need to most top quality tool, just something to remove the plug and put it back afterwards so even if it was something like a discount brand store tool it would most likely be fine for now.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys have Tool Zone stores out there. They would probably have it. If not have you tried a 1/4" drive socket extension.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:01 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe a 1/4" socket drive extension with a crescent wrench will work??? There was a 3/8" plug on my block and I used my 3/8" drive socket extension.

Brian
Old 08-25-2004, 02:11 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Brutal64
Do you guys have Tool Zone stores out there. They would probably have it. If not have you tried a 1/4" drive socket extension.

No ,no tool zone stores
Old 08-25-2004, 02:14 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

i don't have a 1/4" extention, only a 3/8" and 1/2" extention.

would a 1/4" extention be off-sized too much to worry about rounding off the corners?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

The right tool is always the best solution but there are several shades between Mr Goodwrench and BuBB.

To answer your question.... I don't know.
Brian
Old 08-25-2004, 02:36 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Try NAPA

Do you have a NAPA auto parts store nearby? They may be able to help you.

You might also check for a tool distributor, such as S-K or Snap-On.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:02 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Barry - I take it your intake plug is a depressed square hole, as opposed to a raised square plug? The latter is "correct", fyi, although the former is certainly found in use.

If it is a raised square a crescent wrench will, of course, work - it is a 1/2", if I am not mistaken.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:09 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

If it a raised square, you should be able to use the female end of the extension over the plug and grab the male end of the extension with a crescent wrench or (gasp) a locking pliers a.k.a. Vice Grip.

Brian

Last edited by Allcoupedup; 08-25-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:11 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

yes, there is a NAPA not too far away.

Didn't think of them. I know they sell parts, but i didn't know they have tools too.
I'll give them a try.
Thanks!
Old 08-25-2004, 03:16 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ctjackster
Barry - I take it your intake plug is a depressed square hole, as opposed to a raised square plug? The latter is "correct", fyi, although the former is certainly found in use.

If it is a raised square a crescent wrench will, of course, work - it is a 1/2", if I am not mistaken.
CT
it is a raised square plug.

there really isn't enough room to get a cresent wrench in there and still turn it and to honest I hate the idea of "trying to make it work" with the wrong tools. I'm afriad of rounding off the corners if i do that than i'm really screwed - no pun intended!

I'll try NAPA. if they don't have it I guess i'll have to call my mechanic and get the number of the snap-on tool guy.
damn, i hate the idea of doing that as I'll be way too tempted to start buying a lot of really nice tools from him!
LOL
Old 08-25-2004, 03:58 PM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snap-On has what you are looking for. Be very careful when you go after this plug. If it's been in there since day one it will be a bitch to get out.

Have a look at the part of the block where the oil filter mount is, sometimes there is a plug there that can be removed. If this was a rat they have plugs all over the place.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:37 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BarryK
CT

there really isn't enough room to get a cresent wrench in there and still turn it and to honest I hate the idea of "trying to make it work" with the wrong tools. I'm afriad of rounding off the corners if i do that than i'm really screwed - no pun intended!
ahh grasshoper, as I suspected. To be honest, I think a properly-sized crescent wrench is the "right" tool for square plugs, but Check out Brian's advice, if it is a 1/2" AND you have a 1/2" drive set around, flipping a 1/2" socket extension bar around will essentially give you the best possible tool to put on the plug - you just then need to figure out a way to turn THAT - I still vote for a 1/2" crescent wrench laid on the extension bar's square end. However, as all others have pointed out, and I can tell you from experience, these buggers sometimes weld themselves to the manifold, although that mostly happens in coolant-exposed locations, like someone blocking off the SHP waterpump bypass with a plug. Point being if it ain't coming off without having to put one or both of your feet on the manifold for leverage, try another path.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:52 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
CT

I'll try NAPA. if they don't have it I guess i'll have to call my mechanic and get the number of the snap-on tool guy.
damn, i hate the idea of doing that as I'll be way too tempted to start buying a lot of really nice tools from him!
LOL
You should be able to use a 12-point socket on that square plug to get the job done. I had to replace both that square plug and the block drain plugs when I discovered that the machine shop had failed to include those items when I picked up my block after a bore and hone job. Along with one other issue I wanted nothing to do with that shop after that.
A local wrecking yard yielded those plugs, gratis. IIRC I think I used a 7/16's 12-point socket on that square plug ..

John
Old 08-25-2004, 05:27 PM
muncieman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctjackster
ahh grasshoper, as I suspected. To be honest, I think a properly-sized crescent wrench is the "right" tool for square plugs, but Check out Brian's advice, if it is a 1/2" AND you have a 1/2" drive set around, flipping a 1/2" socket extension bar around will essentially give you the best possible tool to put on the plug - you just then need to figure out a way to turn THAT - I still vote for a 1/2" crescent wrench laid on the extension bar's square end. However, as all others have pointed out, and I can tell you from experience, these buggers sometimes weld themselves to the manifold, although that mostly happens in coolant-exposed locations, like someone blocking off the SHP waterpump bypass with a plug. Point being if it ain't coming off without having to put one or both of your feet on the manifold for leverage, try another path.
The plug in the front of the block off the front cam bearing is 1/8 pipe thread, the head in that square plug might be 1/4 or 5/16 and is in a real bad spot. You can get replacement plugs that are allen heads.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:44 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I think you can find the socket at a plumbing supply house.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:45 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I think you can find the socket at a plumbing supply house. Do not use anything on it but a four point square socket.

If you don't care about the paint on the front of your engine, a little heat around the plug will go a long way on a stuck plug. I've removed a few. Never had any problem.

Get notified of new replies

To square head plug

Old 08-25-2004, 07:27 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MikeM
I think you can find the socket at a plumbing supply house. Do not use anything on it but a four point square socket.

If you don't care about the paint on the front of your engine, a little heat around the plug will go a long way on a stuck plug. I've removed a few. Never had any problem.
thanks Mike

I agree, I really don't want to use anything other than a 4 point socket. I wouldn't have thought about a plumbing supply place but i'll try that also.
The heat idea is good but i DO care about the paint on my motor so I guess that's out

thanks!
Old 08-26-2004, 08:19 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

if it's a 1/2" a 1/2" extension handle "female" end is pretty much the same exact thing as a "4 point" socket. But if a proper socket head can be readily found at a plumbing supply house (makes perfect sense to me too) I would go put my $5 down and get it myself.

I do agree that I would not use an 12 point socket on it (I really don't use those too much on regular hexagonal nuts, I tend to stick with 6 point sockets) as the chances of rounding off the corners are pretty high
Old 08-26-2004, 09:06 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,123 Likes on 551 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

SK tools also has these special sockets. If you can't find one I will get the part number for you in SK.

Quick Reply: square head plug