Sponsored by:

Illinois Emissions Testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Illinois Emissions Testing

Does anyone know how old a car has to be before its exempt from state (IL) emissions testing? I recently received a notice for my '81 and was wondering how long the process will continue. I also want to install side pipes. Without a catalytic converter, my car will not pass the emissions test.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:42 PM
corvette78nate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with your DMV, because every state is different. Usually its a 25 years old or older car. I had the same idea about side pipes but I found out in AZ there is no exemption for old cars. If you have the same law there, someone on the forum gave me advice about keeping the catalytic converter and using a Y pipe to run the exaust back towards the front side for the exaust.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:42 PM
mrtroutjedi
Racer

Are old vehicles required to have an emissions test?
Vehicles of model year 1967 or older are exempt. Older vehicles from model year 1968 – 1980 continue to receive the idle emissions test. However, vehicles that have antique license plates issued by the Secretary of State are exempt from emissions testing.

i found this at this web site
http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/index.html
on this page
http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/index.html
i know i had to put a whole new exahust on mine caus ei dint have a cat converter on it
Yep it sucks and it holds ya back from what ya really want to do,you can try getting av plates but then your limited to driveing to and from parades or getting repair work if they catch ya out just cruseing around I know it a heavy fine.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Nicky71
Drifting

As stated above, 1967 is the newest model year that is completely exepmt from inspection/testing. Just one more reason I love my 67.

I did have to pass the TSI (two speed idle) test in IL with my 71 BB. It passed easily even in poor tune and 100K+ miles. If you have an 81-95 model you need to pass the dyno test.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:33 PM
J R C
Racer

Default Especially in Chicago Metro

Doubt if IL will ever grandfather older vehicles like other states do ... especially as you live in a suburb of Chicago as I do the other "rural" parts of IL don't get tested ... have to take my '74 every two years. Mine was the last year before needing a cat' so its just an idle test. Most will pass as long as they're not running real rich (will result in too high a HC level). Have your reg' mechanic scope the exhaust before you go in case you're worried about it ... also just saw your other comments. Although they won't necessarily check for your cat' the side pipes would probably be out unless you can get mini cat's on them or register it with AV plates ... its too new this year but you'll be OK in '06

Last edited by J R C; 04-01-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This state Sux.
Eddie
Old 04-01-2005, 11:00 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

You can get a "waiver" for a show car from the IL EPA site, also 25 year old cars can get Antique plates and then you are totally exempt, I put on old my 1977 plates which is allowed if you are going to a car show or testing components.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:54 AM
PortDawg
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by myoriginal77
You can get a "waiver" for a show car from the IL EPA site, also 25 year old cars can get Antique plates and then you are totally exempt, I put on old my 1977 plates which is allowed if you are going to a car show or testing components.
Exempt yes... but as you said limited to driving only to shows, parades or to the mechanic (if you do not do the work yourself). Explain to the cop that you are "testing components" on a Monday morning at 0530 on the Dan Ryan....I don't think he's gonna believe you.

I plated my car regularly and until I can move out of this backwards a** state, that's the way it'll stay. I like DRIVING my car, that's why I bought it.

This is what happens when your entire states government is based on the votes from one major city. Other states are doing away with the test, Illinois is making it more stringent.

Personally.. I think that the rest of the state should secede from Chicagoland and St Clair/Madison counties but I guess we "Country Folk" are just an ignorant lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Illinois Emissions Testing

Quick Reply: Illinois Emissions Testing