Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 02:21 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Last edited by samsonb; 04-30-2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:15 AM
zaphodbebullbrox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just my opinion

well, if you ask me.

i would get rid of the power steering and get a quick response manual steering box from flaming river (what i did), or even a manual rack and pinion kit from steriods.

why you ask?

i pefer to feel the road when i drive my corvette, power steering takes that away and gives a false sense of what the car is doing.

of course this is just my opinion, for what thats worth.

besides, the only time you realy need power steering is with slow speed manuvers, but hey who drives there corvette slow?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:06 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,332 Posts

First of all stop and see what you have before jumping all over the place. A stock corvette steering system is pretty good but like the brake system people don;t torubleshoot it and figure it's junk.

Get the car on a lift or jack stands. Look over the steering/suspension closely. You said you have new parts on the car so thats a starting point. With someone in the car have them turn the steering wheel slowly while you watch the rag joint. THe rag joint is the coupling that's in between the steering column and and the steering box. There should be no play there- when you turn the wheel the box shaft and pitman arm should move-no lost motion or delay.
Now if you already adjusted the lash screw on the box that might be an additional problem. The best way to adjust the box is to remove it. Since you already backed the lash CCW you have loosen the lash. You can't just tighten it up or you could quickly wear out the worn gear and pitman shaft sector gear.

Let me know what you find and maybe we can resolve it for you.

Gary
Old 04-06-2005, 03:14 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd still suspect something awry in your gearbox, Josh. There's really not a whole lot of things that can cause that sort of resistance. My wheel didn't have trouble returning to center even when I was driving around with my PS disconnected (shoving fluid around without the help of a pump). I would think your best bet would be to pull it out and tear it down on your bench just to see what's up. But I'm no expert.

Jim Shea! Paging Jim Shea!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:37 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Ok, I'll check that. Since the rag joint rebuilt kits are cheap, I'm gonna go ahead and order one.

Any ideas on the steering wheel not self aligning when I make a turn?
Don't use those $10 kits, buy the GM joint assembly- much better quality worth the extra money. Is the alignment on the car in spec?
Gary
Old 04-07-2005, 02:05 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this sounds a bit nuts,but low air pressure in one of the front tires can do that.Your steering will favor one side.All it takes is 32 on one side and 25 in the other,give or take.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering sucks!

Quick Reply: Steering sucks!