Sponsored by:

l81 performance book

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 07:48 PM
toyvette81
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default l81 performance book

You see everywhere performance books for the ls1-ls2 etc... and they show every part combo possible and what #'s you will get from each... does anyone know if there is a specific book for the l81 sb? or mabye a l81 book combined with some other similar motor?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are talking about the L82 in the C3 vettes?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:53 PM
toyvette81
Intermediate

i have an l-81 engine
Old 04-07-2005, 08:45 PM
BLACKDOG
Racer

toyvette81 - the best place for you to go with your question regarding anything on your 81 is www.L81vetteregistry.com They also have a sub-forum under the C-3 section over at www.corvetteactioncenter.com ... and I'm not plugging that site over the CorvetteForum, just trying to get you to the best spot for your questions on your '81 Good luck
Old 04-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

JMO but if you're looking for performance forget trying to mod the L81. There is nothing worth saving except maybe the bare block. If money is tight you're better off pulling the L81 and installing a new 260 hp crate engine, otherwise you're just wasting your time and money.
The following users liked this post:
Engage (07-18-2022)
Old 04-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you do a rebuild on the L81 you can do that same 260HP for a whole lot less than a crate motor if you do the work yourself. It all depends on how much you want to spend. The L81 fuel and ignition system will work fine as long as you stay with a 9.5 or lower compression. Above that the only problem is the distributor. It's hard to recurve it to retard timing on the upper end without upsetting off idle acceleration. The carb will do it's thing just fine and work flawlessly with engine modifications.

-Justin
Old 04-07-2005, 10:27 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Older Than Dirt
JMO but if you're looking for performance forget trying to mod the L81. There is nothing worth saving except maybe the bare block. If money is tight you're better off pulling the L81 and installing a new 260 hp crate engine, otherwise you're just wasting your time and money.
L81, L82, L48....
People it's just a carburated chevy small block just like any other chevy has built for decades. It responds to the same performance mods as any other chevy small block and the aftermarket parts for the most part are interchangeable. Pull off the pollution and computer crap, add headers, cam, heads, intake and you have a 350-400 HP engine just like any other chevy small block with these modifications. If money is tight you save the short block and build it up, don't throw it out.
The following users liked this post:
Last Triumph (07-21-2022)
Old 04-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Kalway
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SpyderD
L81, L82, L48....
People it's just a carburated chevy small block just like any other chevy has built for decades. It responds to the same performance mods as any other chevy small block and the aftermarket parts for the most part are interchangeable. Pull off the pollution and computer crap, add headers, cam, heads, intake and you have a 350-400 HP engine just like any other chevy small block with these modifications. If money is tight you save the short block and build it up, don't throw it out.
That's what I'm doing with mine. After suspension I'm gonna go to 2.02 heads.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:19 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

L81, L82, L48....
Well said
Old 04-09-2005, 09:08 PM
silverdroptop
Instructor

[QUOTE=SpyderD]Originally Posted by SpyderD
L81, L82, L48....
Good advise, as long as the short block is sound that is the way to go.
All the short blocks are the same and will respond to the same mods.
There are many different combos but one of the best bangs for the buck would be a set of vortec heads, appropriate intake manifold for vortec heads, Comp Cams Xtreme energy 274 cam (maybe 1 size smaller) Holley or Edelbrock carb, headers (I like the DynoMax 1 3/4 coated headers for the C3), dual exhaust, eliminate computer and pollution controls.

Last edited by silverdroptop; 04-09-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:03 AM
fullspeed
1st Gear

L81, L82, L48....
hello. that's good to hear and I'm of the same opinion myself. For my L81, I threw out all the ecology electronics and ecology nonsense from the 1980s. the carburetor is also a classic quadrajet without electronic valves that regulated the intake.

Because I am from Slovenia - Europe, it is a little more difficult for me to access parts that would increase the power of the engine. Can anyone give me some links where to get good replacement parts to increase the power, and that they will fit this engine. (L81).

I have already converted the exhausts to be completely "flat" with direct mufflers. The sound is really badass, but some more horses would be useful
Old 07-18-2022, 10:12 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

hi. welcome. old threads are for research. please start a new thread when you wanna ask or say something instead of pulling up 17 year old thread that we have to read through to get to you. the most important thing you can do for more power is get it timed correctly. people say 2 degrees of advance can cost up to 40 hp. you want 36 degrees at full advance with vacuum unhooked. speaking of which. you mentioned the 81 carb is no more. did you replace the distributor? if not, you have essentially NO advance at all.which will be a HUGE power loss.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:30 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

yes, small block chevy.
problems come in when smog reqm'ts come into play.
Old 07-19-2022, 03:14 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Necro thread of 17 years.

Get notified of new replies

To l81 performance book

Quick Reply: l81 performance book