Sponsored by:

dynomax mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
stingraydriver74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dynomax mufflers

has anyone put dynomax super turbo mufflers on their vette? i went to price them and they have "corvette" ones that are $100 a piece compared to $35 for the universal application ones! what's the deal with that? if i'm not worried about them looking stock is there any reason i can't get by with the universal series for $35? is there any difference in performance/sound?

btw i have a 74(no cats) that i'm gonna put headers and 2.5's with these super turbos. one more question too, which would be better for my application, X pipe or H??

thanks,
Brad
Old 04-12-2005, 09:51 PM
LilRed76
4th Gear

you realize super turbo's are like whisper quiet, just wanna make sure you realize that... my frined put those on his thunderbird and the exhaust was quieter than the ones he had on there. Mmm i'm not sure whta other peopel are using but i bleive hte X pipe is better thna an H but w/e you can do.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:58 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraydriver74
has anyone put dynomax super turbo mufflers on their vette? i went to price them and they have "corvette" ones that are $100 a piece compared to $35 for the universal application ones! what's the deal with that? if i'm not worried about them looking stock is there any reason i can't get by with the universal series for $35? is there any difference in performance/sound?

btw i have a 74(no cats) that i'm gonna put headers and 2.5's with these super turbos. one more question too, which would be better for my application, X pipe or H??

thanks,
Brad
I'm running them on my 78 L-82. They are louder at low RPMS,but quiet down at cruise/WOT. They are slightly louder than my old stock exhaust. If you want more sound than that,go with the Ultra Flo from Dynomax.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:23 PM
72Tornado
Pro

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...890&forum_id=3

People seem to like them a lot, I'm going to order mine in a few days
Old 04-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Doug Brandon
Instructor

I bought my super turbos from Summit a couple years ago. They fit fine. And mine have a pretty good sound to them. A lot of the sound quality and loudness depends on how healthy your motor is.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:53 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I have them on my 72 with a 406 and they are not loud enough for my taste. I am changing them for a pair of Flowmaster Super 40's. They are more expensive because they bolt right in to a stock exhaust system, the inlet pipe is welded on as is the outlet pipe, and they already have the hanger tab welded on in the right place. They sound okay, not too obnoxious. Their only downfall, in my eyes, is that they have a 2 1/2" inlet and a 2" outlet (to fit the stock exhaust tips).
Old 04-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Retro78
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had both the Dynomax Turbo's and flowmaster 40's. I was not happy with either.

The 40's were way too loud and had very bad resonance. They apparently also have poor flow specs despite their loudness. The Turbo's were way to quiet.

I just installed a set of mufflers that I am finally happy with...Dynomax Welded Ultraflows. They flow REALY well and sound just right for me. Somewhere in between the quiet turbo's and the loud 40's.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:33 AM
RATT7
Pro

I installed the dynomax super turbo mufflers that are a direct fit for my 1980 and was happy with the sound and the fit was excellent. I also removed the cat from my stock exhaust and found the mufflers to sound pretty good, louder then stock and stillhave a nice sound when I get on it. I noticed the flow of the dynomax super turbo mufflers has to be double over the stock which is what I had.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Brandon
I bought my super turbos from Summit a couple years ago. They fit fine. And mine have a pretty good sound to them. A lot of the sound quality and loudness depends on how healthy your motor is.
Doug,
It's good to see you show up here- how's that 496 running?
Old 04-13-2005, 11:00 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by RATT7
I installed the dynomax super turbo mufflers that are a direct fit for my 1980 and was happy with the sound and the fit was excellent. I also removed the cat from my stock exhaust and found the mufflers to sound pretty good, louder then stock and stillhave a nice sound when I get on it. I noticed the flow of the dynomax super turbo mufflers has to be double over the stock which is what I had.
Not sure,but I think all you have to do is multiply your HP by 2.2 to get the flow you need,then buy appropriate mufflers/cat.The Super Turbo's I have are rated at 410 CFM each.A little over kill,but what the heck.
I;m not running headers,so there is a compromise regarding flow.I will fit headers when I change engines,then the exhaust system will be right on. You are correct about improvement over stock.Major difference.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:30 PM
RATT7
Pro

At the back of my garage I have these posters hanging from the wall and prior to the dynomax they moved a liitle bit due to the exhaust, but with the dynomax installed, the posters are hanging are all over the place due to the cfm. Anyways they sound good and it cant hurt either.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:42 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by RATT7
At the back of my garage I have these posters hanging from the wall and prior to the dynomax they moved a liitle bit due to the exhaust, but with the dynomax installed, the posters are hanging are all over the place due to the cfm. Anyways they sound good and it cant hurt either.
Funny,about the posters.
I do get a resonance right at 1500 RPM taking off in first gear that causes a "buzz" in my rear compt.curtain.Think it has a wood dowel???
But it lasts just a nano second or so,and my wife has got used to it.
Also,there is a low "rumble" backing off from speed that sounds good.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

http://www.metalwulf.com/videos/superturbos.mpg

those are the universals, got'em from jegs. good sound but 50 decibels to quiet for me.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:14 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Metal Wulf
http://www.metalwulf.com/videos/superturbos.mpg

those are the universals, got'em from jegs. good sound but 50 decibels to quiet for me.
My turbos a little louder,but not by much.The difference is the cam in my L-82 78 Silver,I think. Noticed a little smoke in your film.Must be valve seals.Mine does that occasionally on cold start up. After that,nothing.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Originally Posted by rihwoods
My turbos a little louder,but not by much.The difference is the cam in my L-82 78 Silver,I think. Noticed a little smoke in your film.Must be valve seals.Mine does that occasionally on cold start up. After that,nothing.
yea, i'd be suprised if there's any seals left...

Get notified of new replies

To dynomax mufflers

Quick Reply: dynomax mufflers