Sponsored by:

Confused 68

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:19 PM
carnutt94
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confused 68

Pics are posted now for the titled 68...body?? and any suggestions on what to do??? ........This car has been setting under a tree for the last 7 years. The car was stripped for paint....then the guy that was doing it got busted for drugs....cops took everything....released the vette cause the owner had the title but they kept all the parts. So it sat for a long time....Ran into him in town and he asked if I would trade my Toyota MR2's for it....Yes I traded...but car seems to have a lot of wrong year parts on it......Thanks for all your help....Allan

Last edited by carnutt94; 04-13-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:45 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allan,

If all you got in the deal was the car, as pictured, then you'll have a lot of work and expense ahead of you, regardless of the route you take with the car. Just to make the car a presentable driver will require thousands of dollars in trim alone (bumpers, grilles, lamps, lenses); body work to fix the botched rear wheelwells, new wheels and tires, a paint job, interior work, and an unknown amount of mechanical restoration as well.

If you want to restore the car to a stock configuration, you'll have to find complete '68 front clip and add in the cost of that to the restoration budget. Since the interior has to be redone anyway, getting the correct '68 passenger dashpad and doorpanels would be very little additional cost above just replacing them with 70's era parts. The car does have the '68 shifter plate and center gauge cluster, but they are both in pretty bad shape.

Does the car run, drive, etc?

Shannon
Old 04-13-2005, 07:02 PM
fast idle
Pro

i don't think that will see the road for under 20 thousand,unless you buy a good one for parts.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:08 PM
carnutt94
Intermediate

actually mechanically it's in pretty good shape...most of the work is appearance...frame solid....brakes totally rebuilt...exxaust good...engine rebuilt before it sat forever....it's decently clean on the underside.....the worst is what you see on the outside....really want to put it back as a 68..like it should be......I wish it could tell me it's story
Old 04-13-2005, 10:09 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Part it out!

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 04-13-2005, 10:12 PM
carnutt94
Intermediate

no ,not gonna part out ..I've seena lot worse come back to life
Old 04-13-2005, 10:25 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by carnutt94
no ,not gonna part out ..I've seena lot worse come back to life
Even if you do the work yourself, you'll still spend more than your "hybrid" will be worth...

Part it and apply the funds towards one that is near complete.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 04-14-2005, 12:35 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fast idle
i don't think that will see the road for under 20 thousand,unless you buy a good one for parts.
My 68 was worse than that, took 22 months of blood and sweat to get a show winner......helps if one can do all the work himself.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:28 PM
carnutt94
Intermediate

Thanks for the positive...don't plan on a show car....but who knows........guess i'm gonna go custom..and yes I do my own bodywork and mechanical....father is electronics / engineer....so it'll take more time than money....already have some ideas on custom air ducts (fenders) and the nose....hand built.....won't be first time...wish I didn't get rid of those 68 firebird tail-lights

Last edited by carnutt94; 04-14-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:29 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I was going to say, "hopeless" ....but if George's 68 was actually worse (hard to believe!!!!) then I would say there is hope.... lot's of hope!!
Old 04-14-2005, 02:57 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, looks can be deceiving. Are you able to get the trim parts back from the cops? Might be worth asking if they are in OK shape... They don't want them, that's for sure. Eventually, they will be auctioned off or scrapped anyway.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Chumpzilla
Pro

Don't be scared to take it on as a project. Yep, looks intimidating..... and yes, it will not be cheap. But if you can do a lot of the work yourself, you'll save a ton of money. Just don't plan on knocking this one out in 6 months because it won't happen. It'll take more TIME than anything else.

Best of luck.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Robd
Pro

Originally Posted by Chumpzilla
Don't be scared to take it on as a project. Yep, looks intimidating..... and yes, it will not be cheap. But if you can do a lot of the work yourself, you'll save a ton of money. Just don't plan on knocking this one out in 6 months because it won't happen. It'll take more TIME than anything else.

Its yours now, take your time, make it the way you want it and have fun with it. In the end you will have fun with it.
Robd

Get notified of new replies

To Confused 68

Quick Reply: Confused 68