Sponsored by:

Craftsman Torque Wrench Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 10:43 AM
OldSchool
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Craftsman Torque Wrench Help

Anybody know how to repair, or calibrate this wrench? The handle seems to have let loose, and has about on inch of slop in it
There are 2 nuts inside the handle seperated by a plastic collar, one on the outside of the collar and another on the inside. They mount to a threaded rod that runs into the main shaft..
Oh btw, only 1 year warranty on a torque wrench..
It is a Craftsman clicker style 'microtork' model 9 44476. I hate to go buy a new one if this can be fixed...
Opinions please..
Steve
Old 04-26-2005, 10:58 AM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Anybody know how to repair, or calibrate this wrench? The handle seems to have let loose, and has about on inch of slop in it
There are 2 nuts inside the handle seperated by a plastic collar, one on the outside of the collar and another on the inside. They mount to a threaded rod that runs into the main shaft..
It is a Craftsman clicker style 'microtork' model 9 44476. I hate to go buy a new one if this can be fixed...
Opinions please..
Steve
OldSchool,

A friend in the Vette club had the same problem. SEARS wanted more to calibrate it then it was to buy on new. Best way in my opinion is to either buy a new one (Harbor Freight for $20) or to rebuild it as best you can and then calibrate it yourself.

To calibrate your wrench you need some known torques. Whilst there may be error (lets say 5 -10%) this should be effective if you don' want to spring for new. Borrow at least one other torque wrench from a friend, preferably a torsion bar type. Torque down a bolt to a value witht the borrowed torque wrench on something that is not attached to the vette!

Now starting way below the other setting start testing your rebuilt torque wrench. It should click on the first try as it is set below the OTHER wrench. Now add 5 FTLBs and try again. When you are close to the value of the other wrench you should get to a point before or just after where it won't click. ie You just found the torque setting on your wrench that corresponds to what the bolt/nut was torqued at.

Was the error large? Small?

Repeat the test for different torques and with a different torque wrench as a baseline. If the error is small and constant then write/tape it to your wrench (add/subrtract +/- XX FTLBS). If it large then either rebuild your wrench and start from scratch or throw it away and buy another.

The key here is having a good baseline to calibrate too. If you had say ten Torque Wrenchs and you measured all of them there will be an error between them but it will be small. By checking your wrench against at least 2 others you can compare how accurate it is and then make an informed decision on whether you can live with it being out X% or not.

Hope this helps.

Pete
Old 04-26-2005, 11:16 AM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was going to calibrate it, I would find some bar bell weights and make a fixture (socket and vice) and apply different weights at a given moment arm (length). This way you are not using someone elses un-calibrated wrench; you will, however, you will be relying on the accuracy of the weights and the length on your moment arm.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

i weighed my 10# weight on a UPS scale.
8.8#
Old 04-26-2005, 04:17 PM
DonBecker
Racer

Sears and other tool makers sell a torque wrench calibrator.

So if they're selling them, someone is buying them. I would call around some shops, somebody has at least one of them out there...
Old 04-26-2005, 04:22 PM
DonBecker
Racer

Also, if you decide to calibrate it on your own, keep in mind that the distance from the handle to the axis of the rachet head is CRITICAL.

That's why instructions for using a torque wrench clearly state no breaker bars, and most will show you how to calculate (roughly) the real torque if there is some kind of extension put on the torque wrench that lengthens the distance between the rachet axis and the handle.

Remember too, that a torque wrench isn't a torque limiter, so it is easy and often overlooked that you can over-torque something with a torque wrench.

Not that it is impossible to do it yourself, but put it this way, if the bolt and/or nut is important enough that it has a specific torque rating it is supposed to be set to, the importance is kind of implied IMO.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:38 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default I got one from Harbor Freight 1/2 for 12.00.

Originally Posted by stingry
OldSchool,

A friend in the Vette club had the same problem. SEARS wanted more to calibrate it then it was to buy on new. Best way in my opinion is to either buy a new one (Harbor Freight for $20) or to rebuild it as best you can and then calibrate it yourself.

To calibrate your wrench you need some known torques. Whilst there may be error (lets say 5 -10%) this should be effective if you don' want to spring for new. Borrow at least one other torque wrench from a friend, preferably a torsion bar type. Torque down a bolt to a value witht the borrowed torque wrench on something that is not attached to the vette!

Now starting way below the other setting start testing your rebuilt torque wrench. It should click on the first try as it is set below the OTHER wrench. Now add 5 FTLBs and try again. When you are close to the value of the other wrench you should get to a point before or just after where it won't click. ie You just found the torque setting on your wrench that corresponds to what the bolt/nut was torqued at.

Was the error large? Small?

Repeat the test for different torques and with a different torque wrench as a baseline. If the error is small and constant then write/tape it to your wrench (add/subrtract +/- XX FTLBS). If it large then either rebuild your wrench and start from scratch or throw it away and buy another.

The key here is having a good baseline to calibrate too. If you had say ten Torque Wrenchs and you measured all of them there will be an error between them but it will be small. By checking your wrench against at least 2 others you can compare how accurate it is and then make an informed decision on whether you can live with it being out X% or not.

Hope this helps.

Pete
Old 04-26-2005, 05:10 PM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

The length of the handle is only critical when calibrating. When in use, it does not matter how long the handle is or where you apply the force on the handle as long as the wrench is calibrated correctly.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I have a Sears clicker type torque wrench that will "slip" at some points along its ratchet. That is so aggrivating. You will be applying torque to a bolt and get a good chance to bust your knuckles. I took it back to sears and I was informed of the one year warranty on torque wrenches. Grrrr!!!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Garrett1972
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
I have a Sears clicker type torque wrench that will "slip" at some points along its ratchet. That is so aggrivating. You will be applying torque to a bolt and get a good chance to bust your knuckles. I took it back to sears and I was informed of the one year warranty on torque wrenches. Grrrr!!!!!
Do what I did, I took the guts out of the head of my Sears ratchet, and put them into my Torque wrench. Fixing the ratchet mechanism on the torque wrench. Then I took the now broken ratchet back to Sears for a new one.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:57 PM
vfitom
2nd Gear

Did you ever find out how to repair the 2 loose nuts? Mine did the exact same thing and I'm stumped. Thanks
Old 11-06-2019, 02:28 PM
OldSchool
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vfitom
Did you ever find out how to repair the 2 loose nuts? Mine did the exact same thing and I'm stumped. Thanks
yeah i fixed it by buying a new one!. Not craftsman
Old 11-06-2019, 03:37 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,553 Posts

Wow a 14 year old response, awesome..

fyi i gave up on harbor freight torque wrench..but they sell an electronic one that is pretty damn accurate surprisingly..i use it to compare my usa torque wrenches..just to compare especially low end of torque with 1/4 etc..brake bleeder screw...about 8 pounds

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...ter-63917.html
Old 11-06-2019, 11:56 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Go to e-bay and buy a 'beam' style torque wrench. Unless it gets damaged, there is nothing to go wrong with it.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:51 AM
slammin
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Here is a link to a calibration company in Jacksonville FLA http://firstcoastcalibration.com/. 20 years ago I calibrated instruments for the tool & die industry as a side line for my machine shop. A service for companies in my area. NIST traceable.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:14 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by slammin
Here is a link to a calibration company in Jacksonville FLA http://firstcoastcalibration.com/. 20 years ago I calibrated instruments for the tool & die industry as a side line for my machine shop. A service for companies in my area. NIST traceable.
There are lots of companies that calibrate tools to NIST Standards. And not very expensive to have done. Hit Google for tool calibration and find one in your area. My Snap-on 1/2 drive torque wrench has been calibrated I don't know how many times in the 40+ years I've had it.
The following users liked this post:
CA-Legal-Vette (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 06:43 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Watch videos on YouTube. I calibrated mine using a handheld luggage scale.

Get notified of new replies

To Craftsman Torque Wrench Help

Old 11-07-2019, 07:34 AM
VETTAMOUS
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14

I’ve had mine forever and it did same thing. It’s been sitting dormant in toolbox. I took it to Lowe’s 2 weeks ago and they traded it. I pointed out that the new one only said 90 days but I didn’t have the original package but thought mine was lifetime. She called management and they said it was on the list to take back. Give it a try. I got a sweet new one in a case.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:40 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Opinions please..
Steve
This is how professionals handle it
https://www.thomasnet.com/indiana/ca...0021202-1.html
Old 11-07-2019, 12:21 PM
vfitom
2nd Gear

I just tried to return it to Lowe's and they would not, stating its not the same as ones in stock..... Well no sheat...……...They had me call some numbers, 1 in the Phillippines who I could hardly understand. Thjey said it had a 1 year warranty.....So looks like I'm fu_ _ ed...…………….So mush for lifetime warranty. Anyone else have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Craftsman Torque Wrench Help